MERGED ----> Making the album in Morocco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Making the album in Morocco ?

A post on u2mp3s.com

U2 will jet to exotic Morocco shortly to begin work on their next album.
The irish rockers told friends of their plans while attending the Cannes Film Festival in France this week for their world premiere of their latest movie U2 3D

:hmm:

Morocco :drool:

let's hope it's an album of Mysterious Ways video goodness :combust:

Vitality of Morocco > laziness of South of France

i just hope that we won't get 12 mysterious ways. because that would be awful.

this could be cool though. kinda like beatles in india.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Larry, while the most stubborn, is only likely to be LESS influenced than the others. Edge is a musical sponge, and Adam is pretty savvy with music too. I would expect those two to really soak in the music around them while Bono does the same and also uses the new imagery as lyrical inspiration.

I am not saying we're getting a concept album full of "U2 + Moroccan music", but it could certainly influence their playing and spawn a song or two with instruments/melodies/scales native to the area.

Last edited:
come on, you cannot mean that. mysterious ways gets annoying after two listens.

U2Man said:
come on, you cannot mean that. mysterious ways gets annoying after two listens.

Maybe back-to-back...:tsk: Certainly not a "bad" song, though. And when you watch the live ZooTV version, the yearning is palpable. :drool:

I :heart: Mysterious Ways

And Fast Cars/Xanax & Wine...

If the album actually does sound like that, it'll be awesome. :yes:

Throw in Mercy along with the B-side material Fast cars and we're all set for U2 recreating it 90's self. :yes:

I think the whole "change of location" inspiring them is kind of far fetched theory. They made all but 1 album in Dublin.

Just daydreaming here, but....

An album of:

Mysterious Ways-ish sound
Beach Clip 404
Fast Cars/Xanax & Wine
Mercy--revamped or the same

would be quite an interesting album...

Utoo said:
Just daydreaming here, but....

An album of:

Mysterious Ways-ish sound
Beach Clip 404
Fast Cars/Xanax & Wine
Mercy--revamped or the same

would be quite an interesting album...

And a Moroccan 402 :drool:

U2girl said:
I think the whole "change of location" inspiring them is kind of far fetched theory. They made all but 1 album in Dublin.

I don't know. Sure there were a lot of things factoring into AB, but you can't deny that at least some of the fucked-up atmosphere of East Berlin helped at least in some way to create the most radical change in U2's sound and image in their career. And there's no doubt that spending so much time in Western US influenced several pieces of RAH. Hell, Bono sounded more cowboy than Irish when he spoke on some of the JT tour; the feel came out in some of the songs, as well. And while ATYCLB and HTDAAB may not have been entirely recorded in the south of France, I highly doubt that there wasn't any writing going on in all the time they spent there. Several songs from this period have the same easy-going feel---Electrical Storm, Always, WITS, Levitate, Summer Rain; the latter of which Bono has said is directly related to the south of France.

Sure, you can't fly into Morocco and come out with a Morocco-inspired album three days later. It requires staying there and experiencing it a bit. But when it comes to inspiration, location is almost as important as what's going on in your life, as it partly affects and determines what's going on in your life.

Last edited:
If this news is true, then I'm pretty excited for this. I'm not saying that because they're in Morocco, the sound will be completely different. But either way, it is a nice change of pace. Both ATYCLB & HTDAAB were recorded in the confines of Dublin and the South of France. Before that AB was in Berlin for a portion and PoP was in Miami for a bit. Maybe a different setting will give us a fresh, new sound. One can hope at least!

Rattle and Hum was done on tour in US so yes that influenced the album.

Berlin didn't get much of the album; most of the time was spent with the band arguing amongst themselves and with Daniel Lanois - it wasn't until they re-grouped in Dublin and brought Eno in that AB was really made. I assume the image change was also largely due to - particularly Bono - the amount of flack he got for the preachy, earnest 80's self. Sound change was due to the band - Bono and Edge - listening to European music (as opposed to them listening to US music when making JT). It's more organic than just saying "let's go to ____ and we'll make a fresh start".

402, Mercy, Fast cars = Hello 90's U2 all over again.

U2Man said:
trying to reinvent the nineties u2 would be so lame. :tsk:

Yes, it would be quite pathetic.

This may be a bit brash, but I am predicting a modest reinvention with this record, or maybe even a great one (not in terms of their image, but in sound). The band seems to be a bit tired of their current sound, and some of the B-sides and beach clips seem to point in a different direction. I don't know, I don't expect HTDAAB II (BTW, HTDAAB was not ATYCLB II; they are thematically completely different records, with a completely different production style and feel)

They need a new image. They had a very similar look for Elevation/Vertigo tour, in particular Bono who is stuck between being an older version of The Fly or his Pop image.

U2girl said:
They need a new image. They had a very similar look for Elevation/Vertigo tour, in particular Bono who is stuck between being an older version of The Fly or his Pop image.

45420.jpg
--->
Morocco_Mole_300.gif

:hmm:

U2girl said:

Berlin didn't get much of the album; most of the time was spent with the band arguing amongst themselves and with Daniel Lanois - it wasn't until they re-grouped in Dublin and brought Eno in that AB was really made.

Finished writing and recorded in Dublin, but so much of the inspiration was from the time in Berlin. A few riffs are present on the Salome Outtakes, and much more thematically has been acknowledged by the band to have originated there, as well. Zoo Station----besides the name, the sentiment is Germany post-Wall. One--before Bono had the "homosexual young man and hsi father" story, we had the mythical story of the riff & song uniting the band. Love Is Blindness---tell me that the bleakness of this song isn't a mix of Edge's marriage turmoil and the stark grey-brown feel of 1990 East Germany.

It's more organic than just saying "let's go to ____ and we'll make a fresh start".

Which is what I meant with
Sure there were a lot of things factoring into AB

and
Sure, you can't fly into Morocco and come out with a Morocco-inspired album three days later. It requires staying there and experiencing it a bit. But when it comes to inspiration, location is almost as important as what's going on in your life, as it partly affects and determines what's going on in your life.

Originally posted by U2girl 402, Mercy, Fast cars = Hello 90's U2 all over again.

How so? Mercy has some of the bitterness, but none of the sound of the 90s; in fact, it sounds the most 00s of those three. 402 has some of the sound, but does that a hint of the sound on a garbled, wave-splattered recording really make it a rehash of their 90s work? Fast Cars has the overwhelmed-by-media presence in the lyrics, but has absolutely no sound of the 90s. I don't see how having a single characteristic of previous music means that a song or collection of songs is entirely a retracing of steps. That's the same faulty logic that leads people to believe that a delay or chimey sound makes ATYCLB or HTDAAB a rehash of classic U2.

Back
Top Bottom