MERGED ----> Making the album in Morocco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to Bono, ideas were coming "think and fast" last summer, too (sorry, it's too funny not to use.) Remember the whole "I took eight piano lessons and wrote eight songs" routine he laid on Brian Williams? Well, out of all that, we ended up with WITS, or just one lousy song, in more ways than one. It was Edge's idea to do a cover of Saints for New Orleans, after all.

Ideas come think -- or thick-- and fast to anybody in the creative world when they're on a roll: whether those ideas stand the test of time, rewrites, arrangements and recording is a completely different matter.

Re Spiderman, at least a first draft has to be complete, because casting goes on this month and a runthrough next month. I don't think some of Julie Taymor's stature would be holding auditions with nothing to work from -- "You pretend to be Spiderman and we'll give you a song later" doesn't cut it when you are talking about such a high profile production and the expense of a Broadway musical. I think what won't see the light of day for some time is the album, not Spiderman.

silvrlvr said:
According to Bono, ideas were coming "think and fast" last summer, too (sorry, it's too funny not to use.) Remember the whole "I took eight piano lessons and wrote eight songs" routine he laid on Brian Williams? Well, out of all that, we ended up with WITS, or just one lousy song, in more ways than one. It was Edge's idea to do a cover of Saints for New Orleans, after all.

I don't understand at all. :confused:
Are you saying Bono didn't write eight songs just because U2 only released WITS. :confused:

roy said:

I don't understand at all. :confused:
Are you saying Bono didn't write eight songs just because U2 only released WITS. :confused:

Yeah, what makes you sure that he threw his ideas away?
These are some songs that U2 are probably working on right now, I can't know for sure either:

Love Is All We Have Left
Mentioned in the March 2007 issue of Q magazine, #248

North Star
Also from the March 2007 issue of Q magazine, #248

"All My Life", "I Believe", Thank You For The Day
All remaining beach clips, and Bono wrote "Thank You..." together with Lanois as well.
Also a fan from these boards said he had been to Eze shortly after the leak of the '06 Beach clips and he had heard a song that according to him was similar to the demo of So Cruel from the Achtung Baby demos.

Mercy
According to the report from U2place Bono said it's supposed to be on the next record.

Then Edge said that they had about 5-6 songs they were still working on that was good but not great yet.
Only recently he made the comment about having material for 2-3 albums, which sounds a bit too optimistic.

Thanks for that "thick and fast" explanation. (the "think and fast" sounded weird)

So that means lots of ideas quickly ?

I'm not saying Bono didn't write eight songs -- what I mean is that just because they're writing songs doesn't mean they are recordable songs. In other words, "think and fast" doesn't correlate to an actual album being produced.

Anyway, they have only a short window because he's going to Germany on Wednesday.

U2girl said:
Thanks for that "thick and fast" explanation. (the "think and fast" sounded weird)

So that means lots of ideas quickly ?

Yes, think and fast means ideas coming at a rapid pace. (Sorry I don't know any Slovenian...)

silvrlvr said:
I'm not saying Bono didn't write eight songs -- what I mean is that just because they're writing songs doesn't mean they are recordable songs. In other words, "think and fast" doesn't correlate to an actual album being produced.

Anyway, they have only a short window because he's going to Germany on Wednesday.

This is correct.

What everyone should realize is that the band as whole and as separate members write new songs all the time. They do it during soundcheck on the road, they do it at their homes, they do it in the studio, etc. Most of it is never used.

So they may have alot of ideas but they may not use a single song or idea that comes out of the current sessions. Or they could use a snippet of a guitar part from one song during these sessions, etc, etc. I think that is what is being pointed out.

Blue Room said:

This is correct.

What everyone should realize is that the band as whole and as separate members write new songs all the time. They do it during soundcheck on the road, they do it at their homes, they do it in the studio, etc. Most of it is never used.

So they may have alot of ideas but they may not use a single song or idea that comes out of the current sessions. Or they could use a snippet of a guitar part from one song during these sessions, etc, etc. I think that is what is being pointed out.

yes. very true. this is also very evident on the salome tapes, which i think, if listened to in its entirety, is a great blueprint of how U2 completes a composition. supposedely they're trying a new approach this time around, but i really figure that they'll go back to what works best for them, hopefully with some fresh ideas, of course! ;)

As John Waters rightly said, U2 have lost the ability to say anything interesting about themselves or the world.

I know what they're doing . . .

Passengers "Original Soundtracks 2"

The new U2 album talk, Spiderman and Lanois are all decoys.

:shh:

Why are Bono and Edge doing the soundtrack for a Spiderman musical?

We may need to call in Elton John to help with that one, so it doesn't bog down album progress.

sue4u2 said:
Can someone see when this article was written. I have to reboot everytime I try to get to it. (having hardware issues)

The headline states Rick Rubin to start on U2's Album in September.

http://www.musictowers.com/community/forums/68/ShowForum.aspx
I'm dying to read the rest of it. All I managed to get was the url.

:madwife: It doesn't say anything...just the title twice with no date. :huh:

I found it. Sorry nothing new. It's from last year.:madspit:

With that said, from everything I've read about Rick Rubin, he likes for the artist to have the songs ready - then he does his thing. God knows when that might be. :wink:
If U2 is still going to use him, we will have to wait till someone in the band looses the master cd before we hear anything.. :|

This album is going to be under - even - more intense security, I would imagin.

Last edited:
I'm glad they're getting out of the familiar Dublin setting, and also the lazy vacation like South of France atmosphere. Maybe they'll truly be inspired. Then again, it might turn out like the Berlin sessions in 1990. Hopefully not.

u2fezqd6.jpg

the angle of the pic throws it off, but it looks like Edge is singing and Bono is sat with his guitar :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom