MERGED ----> Making the album in Morocco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:
They have visited Morocco many times before, shot some of the Achtung Baby photography there, shot a video there.

Yeah - just saw that the Mysterious Ways video was shot in Fez.

Irvine511 said:

20 years ago i might have agreed with you. but not today as Turkey seems fated to join the EU.

and Morocco is Arabic. i think that's of paramount importance to addressing the "state of the world" today.

Indeed. Turkey (maybe Cyprus and South Greece) is the right answer to that question.

guill said:

If he wants to inject some political stuff in the next record, let him do, the way a song about Leonard Peltier turned into an Apple commercial is disgusting.

Bono himself is the one who changed the lyrics. He said he really couldn't face singing Native Son for the next x number of years.

Blue Room said:
I think everyone is reading too much into it if they are even going to record the album there. Which I wont be surprised if they dont.
They have visited Morocco many times before, shot some of the Achtung Baby photography there, shot a video there. I think they like it there.

Right, but that was not the topic of our discussion yesterday, where we thought about the "getting together/locking themselves up/hiding away" strategy of the band and the background, Marcocco might be with its cultural/political context.
That the band like it there (as me, too) is obvious, because they already were there – and created iconic images and videos there. But if Maghrebinian sounds, instruments or topics all will influence the music directly, is not known yet – "pure speculation" as I wrote above.
Anyway, i wouldn't underestimate the news that the band is back in exotic old territory to search for new musical landscapes ...

guill said:

They can record in exotic ("exotic" ? :eyebrow: ) places, their album will be flat if Bono is being censored once again.
HTDAAB aka The Edge-driven album is an artistic failure, it's time for a Bono-driven album now.

You are a rare being...:wink:

martha said:

Bono himself is the one who changed the lyrics. He said he really couldn't face singing Native Son for the next x number of years.

True, but Lillywhite also said the band didn't approve of his politicking in the studio, either.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if Bono had an issue with there being 'politics' in the song, perhaps just the very narrow nature of them in that particular case.

@ U2 dot com is reporting that Bono has been sighted in Fez and that the band (or he alone?) is making a music video there. Very mysterious indeed. Wonder what this is all about. :hmm:

last unicorn said:
@ U2 dot com is reporting that Bono has been sighted in Fez and that the band (or he alone?) is making a music video there. Very mysterious indeed. Wonder what this is all about. :hmm:

Maybe its a Instant Karma video?

Still very interesting :hmm:

Bono is apparently staying in a riad (a traditional Moroccan house or palace with an internal garden) in Batha, near the Medina.

:hmm: Maybe the band is recording, and they're doing the video for Instant Karma.

The atmosphere can have everything to do with how musicians write and play music. If the environment is stagnant so will the ideas. So, I think, the album will be great. I can think of very few places that are as inspiring as Morocco.

Then again, I haven't been to many places,but Morocco is on my list.

Or they already have 11 songs and are getting ready to release a awsome album with a great video... :hyper:

.... THAT would be surprising. :drool:

victor_f said:
Or they already have 11 songs and are getting ready to release a awsome album with a great video... :hyper:

.... THAT would be surprising. :drool:

That would be the surprise of the century, and we're only 7 years in.

From U2.com:

U2 are in Africa, writing songs with Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno.

The band have set up a studio in Morocco’s medieval city of Fez where they have been writing and recording from morning till night for the past couple of weeks.
‘There’s no word on what the new material is for, ‘according to one of the team in Fez. ‘But they’re on a roll and the ideas are coming think and fast.’

The band met up with Eno and Lanois after flying down to North Africa from Cannes where 'U2 3D' was previewed earlier this month. It’s not the first time they have been in this ancient city. They visited in 1991 with director Stephane Sedanoui to shoot the video for Mysterious Ways.

More news from Morocco on the way.

I and I in the said:
From U2.com:

U2 are in Africa, writing songs with Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno.

The band have set up a studio in Morocco’s medieval city of Fez where they have been writing and recording from morning till night for the past couple of weeks.
‘There’s no word on what the new material is for, ‘according to one of the team in Fez. ‘But they’re on a roll and the ideas are coming think and fast.’

The band met up with Eno and Lanois after flying down to North Africa from Cannes where 'U2 3D' was previewed earlier this month. It’s not the first time they have been in this ancient city. They visited in 1991 with director Stephane Sedanoui to shoot the video for Mysterious Ways.

At this rate it doesn't sound like we'll be getting an album in November 2008. :up:

Great news, I love Morocco. I am very looking forward to what kind of influence that can have on the direction of the music.

Its great news. Interesting though that it says they dont know what the new material is for at this point. Sounds like it could be similiar to the Abbey Road sessions situation. Come up with some ideas record the rough ideas and see if they like it. I get the impression that they are testing the waters with producers (IE like they did with Rubin last year).

I hope its Lanois producing the next album at the very least.

"There’s no word on what the new material is for"

:huh: Not the next U2 album ? What else are they doing together ?

:ohmy: Spiderman sessions with Eno and Lanois in Morocco ? That would be a surprise.

Here's what RollingStone.com is reporting:

Earlier this year Rolling Stone asked The Edge whether U2 would ever work with producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno again. “You might be surprised how quickly that happens,” he cryptically replied. The man wasn’t kidding. The legendary production duo behind many of U2’s greatest albums (Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire, and All That You Can’t Leave Behind) have recently been spotted in Dublin where they’re said to be working again with U2. A few days ago the team moved recording sessions over to Fez Morocco, a familiar spot for U2 who shot the surreal video for “Mysterious Ways” in the African city. It’s unclear whether Rick Rubin, who cut two tracks with the group for a hits collection last year, is involved with the new album. Bono and the Edge are also working on the music for a forthcoming Broadway musical adaptation of Spider-Man. “It will be a while yet before it’s going to see the light of day,” The Edge told Rolling Stone in April. “I think it’s going to be pretty powerful.”

I and I in the said:
From U2.com:
‘There’s no word on what the new material is for, ‘

The band simply doesn't want to committ to any schedule whatsoever.. they're playing together, recording it and we'll just wait and see..

coemgen said:
Here's what RollingStone.com is reporting:

Earlier this year Rolling Stone asked The Edge whether U2 would ever work with producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno again. “You might be surprised how quickly that happens,” he cryptically replied. The man wasn’t kidding. The legendary production duo behind many of U2’s greatest albums (Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire, and All That You Can’t Leave Behind) have recently been spotted in Dublin where they’re said to be working again with U2. A few days ago the team moved recording sessions over to Fez Morocco, a familiar spot for U2 who shot the surreal video for “Mysterious Ways” in the African city. It’s unclear whether Rick Rubin, who cut two tracks with the group for a hits collection last year, is involved with the new album. Bono and the Edge are also working on the music for a forthcoming Broadway musical adaptation of Spider-Man. “It will be a while yet before it’s going to see the light of day,” The Edge told Rolling Stone in April. “I think it’s going to be pretty powerful.”

Does that article tell us anything about what's going on in Morocco at all?
This is what I could tell from the text:
1) U2 are working with Eno/Lanois again, it's unclear whether or not Rubin is part of the process so far.
2) They moved the recording session from Dublin to Morocco
3) Bono and Edge are working on the musical

It doesn't mean that Bono and Edge are working with the dynamic duo on their side-project does it?
It just said that they are also doing that, not necessarily in Morocco, right?

Last edited:
Cool news about Morocco. With Lanios and Eno on board (for now) its clear U2 wants to go another direction.

War to UF
UF to JT (not so drastic of a change)
JT/RH era to AB
Pop to ATYCLB

Should be interesting. I hoping for spring 08, but betting on fall of 08.

The_Edge89 said:

Does that article tell us anything about what's going on in Morocco at all?
This is what I could tell from the text:
1) U2 are working with Eno/Lanois again, it's unclear whether or not Rubin is part of the process so far.
2) They moved the recording session from Dublin to Morocco
3) Bono and Edge are working on the musical

It doesn't mean that Bono and Edge are working with the dynamic duo on their side-project does it?
It just said that they are also doing that, not necessarily in Morocco, right?

My take on the RS article is that Morocco is album work. In reference to Spider-man, Edge says "It will be a while yet before it sees the light of day." That's in direct reference to Spider-Man, not the Morocco work.

As for the "There’s no word on what the new material is for" quote from the u2.com article, that's clearly BS. Obviously it's for album work, though it may all be rough ideas and nothing that would clearly indicate that. That line is also a bit of u2.com taunting.....pretty much every article they've released in the last two years with "more on the way" has been a tease---either strictly to tease or because the u2.com writers are so dumb they don't know themselves (notice the "ideas are coming think and fast"---what the hell is "think and fast??" undoubtedly supposed to be "thick and fast." :tsk: ).

If material is indeed coming quickly and easily, it's only early June---plenty of time to crank stuff out for this fall if they're on the ball. It'd be a shame to sit on these ideas for a year and a half. But whatever...we'll just have to wait and see.

I wonder if they decided to forget about Rubin. If his schedule is as busy as it's been reported and U2 have the juices flowing now, they may not feel like waiting...

Back
Top Bottom