MERGED --> Edge and George Harrison + I'm not too sure that..+ Paul Mcartney's voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
Edge and George Harrison

Has anyone else noticed that in wits and 404, edge is playing guitar pretty much like George Harrison did it (listen to the solo). It seems like he has changed his style quite a bit.

Well, the guitar in the bridge (or whatever you call it) after Bono's "oh oh oh oh"s does sound like The Beatles!

The first thing I noticed when I listened to 404 was how much the two solos (specifically the first one) sounded like George Harrison. :yes:

People that I'm having listen to the song, that arent even really U2 fans are saying it sounds like the Beatles.

Sicy said:
People that I'm having listen to the song, that arent even really U2 fans are saying it sounds like the Beatles.

Besides the chorus and some of Edge's parts, I think the clincher is the section of:

Please don't ever let me out of here

Zootlesque said:

Haha yes he does!

But the question is do we want U2 to become the next Beatles?!

To reach their lasting magnitude? Sure.

To sound like them all the time? No....though I do love Bono's takes at Lennon (i.e., Big Girls Are Best).

To crank out some kick-ass albums that explore a whole range of genres? Absolutely!

Zootlesque said:

Haha yes he does!

But the question is do we want U2 to become the next Beatles?!

hmm, as long as they can do it the U2-way, I don't mind. I just don't want them to be oasis, that is, complete copyists.

Utoo said:

To reach their lasting magnitude? Sure.

To sound like them all the time? No....though I do love Bono's takes at Lennon (i.e., Big Girls Are Best).

To crank out some kick-ass albums that explore a whole range of genres? Absolutely!

:up: :rockon:

Utoo said:

They have actually already done this. Unless they change their sound dramatically with the next album, they're done exploring genres.

Zootlesque said:

They have actually already done this. Unless they change their sound dramatically with the next album, they're done exploring genres.

not really. edge has just explored George Harrison's guitar playing, for instance. I'd like to see more of that stuff on the next album.

Now, where the .... is brau? I'd love to hear his opinion on this song.

I’d appreciate a sitar as well; nevertheless, Edge does sound a lot like old George on ‘Window in the Skies’. Simplistic and immediate, melodious and succinct, consequently, overtly enjoyable.

I have to say that I like the song. :sexywink:

I'm still hoping that on the next world tour (and if U2 still go o nthe path of making straight raw rock songs, some inspired by the Beatlesque thing) appear on stage dressed like the Sgt. Peppers' era and have the megalomaniac attitude of acting in stage as "we're The Beatles of today". That'd be awesome!

Digging the tune. The chorus melody and singing is really beautiful. Great bridge.

This is why I want Rubin to produce a full record.

Rubin: "Bono and Edge sound really good singing together. So write a song where you sing together."

U2: "Ok. Here's that tune"

As for the Beatles thing, I kinda hear it. Everyone equates loads of melody w/ the Beatles, but these's something else there. U2DMfan may be right on with the Beach Boys thing.

And Edge sounded more like Harrison on "Original" than he does here.

Man, what a couple of tunes. I'm considering OOTS and Windows cousins. Who ever thought they'd wind up writing and recording stuff like this? Really good band.

:yes:

They come from the same place. I was thinking "wow, they really did a great pop song and it's not even on their official pop album" with OOTS, and now they took that to another level. Now THIS is the real song they stole from the Beatles.

I am not too sure that...

...Paul McCartney and George Martin did nothing but 'visit' U2 at Abbey Road.

I could imagine George Martin suggesting that intro.

...and Paul McCartney suggest that "Please don't ever..." bridge thing.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
Paul McCartney is a god :drool:

Especially if he inspired the "Please don't ever let me out of here" part----one of my favorite moments of the song. :drool:

Paul Mcartney's voice on Windows?

If you play the song backwards at about the 3:15 mark you can hear "Paul is alive"

Okay maybe not, but I wonder if they flirted with the idea of Paul doing some backing vocals. Considering they recorded the song at Abbey Road and Paul did stop in for a hello. Not to mention almost everyone says this song sounds very "Beatles".

Just a thought but I think it might of been a good idea, I mean if you can put Green Day on your album a little Mcartney might have been a nice homage.

Well, I cannot hear him, so unless anyone else can, I guess U2 didn't like that idea or Paul was too lazy to sing anything that day.

Back
Top Bottom