MERGED ----> Definitive collection tracklisting predictions/discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand what you're tryint to say folks :cool: but ...

They must have a criterion selection for the tracklist :shrug: and the only one objetive criterion is what 04072511 and Kevink did: to check what happened with every U2 single.

Because the sentence "Best Known songs" is completely subjetive and have big variations between generations (For example, the amount of airplay for songs like Discotheque or The Fly were simply incredible :rockon: back in the days but surely the new generations don't know enough the songs) any compilation about Singles (because that what U2 18 is) have to look at their singles and see what happened with them.

If they wanted to select the songs for the new generations, they'd go with mostly ATYCLB and HTDAAB, and that's simply unfair to the other U2 generations. My friends who like U2 know only Beautiful Day and Vertigo, and don't know about Sometimes You Can't Make It, Elevation, Original Of The Species, etc.

Best of 1990 - 2000 failed and sucked big time because of the serious lack of quality criterion selection, and I don't think the band want to repeat the same unforgivable mistake again

So there's no way to select "Best Known Songs" without having references for that. They must be aware of what songs were really their biggest singles, because these songs were the Most known at the time, and they'd pick up the 16 first ones, simply as that. Otherwise any selection will be just arbitrary bulls*** as Best of 1990 - 2000

:shrug:

Last edited:
The playlist...

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
All I Want Is You
Streets
One
Stay
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
:mad:
COBL (hopefully)
Elevation
WOWY
New Year's Day
ISHFWILF
Desire
Miss Sarajevo
Saints
Window In the Sky (?)

Miss Sarajevo? Uh, no. This is a collection of their biggest hits. Same with some of you wasting your time by listing "Gloria" or "The Fly"......if they weren't on the other compilations, why would they appear now?

City Of Blinding Lights also has no chance. In the US, it was the fourth biggest hit from HTDAAB, barely registering on most formats. In the rest of the world, third biggest. And there's no way we'll see a third track from HTDAAB when the mid-90's (EBTTRT, Stay, HMTMKMKM and Discotheque) are fighting for space.

BigMacPhisto said:
Miss Sarajevo? Uh, no. This is a collection of their biggest hits. Same with some of you wasting your time by listing "Gloria" or "The Fly"......if they weren't on the other compilations, why would they appear now?

The Fly was on some editions of the Best Of 1990-2000, and it was one of U2's biggest hits, their second #1 in the UK after Desire if I remember correctly, so I don't consider speculation that it will be included to be too outlandish (though I think Achtung will be represented with One and MW).

Only way I can see "The Fly" being included is if there are separate versions for various territories...........it would NOT in any way be included on an American compilation.

If U218 will be the same around the world, I would really, really doubt its inclusion.

Nothing from the 90's will make the new "best of" except...

...One and Mysterious Ways.

It's a cryin' shame, but Zooropa and Pop will be ignored, and this is all that will make it from AB. My favorite decade and only two songs to represent.

The rest of the album: 80's and 00's, but maily 80's.

Oh yeah, and the two new songs.

I think Stay will also make it too, but Pop will be discarded as the unwanted bastard child. And EBTTRT could be used in place of MW ...

If they do use MW, though, I wonder if it will be the Best Of 1990-2000 version or the original on Achtung.

With 18 songs on a cd, you have consider the length of the songs being a factor in the tracklisting. I agree with Axver about Pop being discarded. With every song on Pop being 4:28 or longer I don't see the band throwing the 'bastard child' a bone. I also agree that EBTTRT would get the nod over MW but in my opinion it will be because it is shorter and more like the the songs most likely represented in th 80's. Other songs from the 90's that will probably be left off because of length, Miss Sarajevo (5:41), Stay (4:58), Staring At The Sun (4:36) and maybe HMTMKMKM (4:46).

If the best of looks much different to this I'll be shocked

New Years Day
Pride
With Or Without You
Still Haven't Found
Where The Streets
Angel Of Harlem
All I want
One
Mysterious Ways
Even Better Than
Discotheque
Stay
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a
Sometimes
Saints
New song

I think they will go for the songs which are most well known to the general public at large, that's why I've put Angel of Harlem instead of Desire. SOmetimes will make it as theyre bound to put two in off Bomb. It's possible that they could put Walk On on there instead of Stuck in a Moment but I doubt it. I have a feeling that I will Follow and Gloria wont make it as theyre not well known to non U2 fans and that is exactly who this album is aimed at.
This is in no way my choice of what the compilation should feature but a list of what I think it probably will have.

An Cat Gav said:
I think they will go for the songs which are most well known to the general public at large, that's why I've put Angel of Harlem instead of Desire.

I'm not following your logic; Desire was a bigger hit than Angel Of Harlem and was U2's first #1 in the UK.

It's possible that they could put Walk On on there instead of Stuck in a Moment but I doubt it.

Someone else pointed this out in another thread, and I think it has merit: Bono mentioned that he felt Elevation (!) and Walk On deserved to be on a Best Of, so I think at least one of them will make it, while Stuck won't as it was on the Best Of 1990-2000.

And I think I Will Follow will make it ... come on, it's been played on every single tour since the band released an album! It's fairly well known. My current prediction, in chronological order:

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride
5. Streets
6. ISHFWILF
7. WOWY
8. Desire
9. Angel Of Harlem
10. One
11. Mysterious Ways
12. Stay or Walk On*
13. Beautiful Day
14. Elevation*
15. Vertigo
16. SYCMIOYO
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. Window In The Sky

*You can swap Elevation and Walk On here; "12. Stay or Elevation" and "14. Walk On". Or maybe they'll just discard SYCMIOYO and use all three of Stay, Elevation, and Walk On.

Sad to agree but I guess nothing will make it from POP:sad:
Stay is also a little risky but I hope it will be on it.

Anyway , my guesses are ,

01 - I Will Follow
02 - NYD
03 - SBS
04 - Pride:madspit:
05 - WOWY
06 - ISHFWILF
07 - Streets
08 - Desire
09 - All I Want Is You
10 - Myst.Ways
11 - One
12 - B.Day
13 - Elevation
14 - Vertigo
15 - SYCMIOYO
16 - COBL
17 - The Saints Are Coming
18 - Window In The Indian Summer Sky :wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. What I never understood is why The Fly wasn`t on The Best 1990 - 2000 ( excluding the UK and Japan disc`s ).
It`s played a lot over the last two tours.
Edge said something about the passage of time but come on...The Fly is:drool:

Last edited:
Desire may have been a bigger hit in the charts, but Angel of Harlem is often on the radio, Desire rarely gets any air time, at least where i am,
so would have to agree wit An Cat Gav on that one.

Screwtape2 said:

Rule number one of being a U2 fan, don't believe Bono.

Stay is his favorite song but logistically it will be hard to get it on.

WISE COUNSEL, WAR CHILD. NEVER BELIEVE BONO about pre album hype. I think he entertains himself by throwing out bogus info and watching nerdy U2 fans eat it up on the message boards.

Axver said:

I'm not following your logic; Desire was a bigger hit than Angel Of Harlem and was U2's first #1 in the UK.

Someone else pointed this out in another thread, and I think it has merit: Bono mentioned that he felt Elevation (!) and Walk On deserved to be on a Best Of, so I think at least one of them will make it, while Stuck won't as it was on the Best Of 1990-2000.

And I think I Will Follow will make it ... come on, it's been played on every single tour since the band released an album! It's fairly well known. My current prediction, in chronological order:

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride
5. Streets
6. ISHFWILF
7. WOWY
8. Desire
9. Angel Of Harlem
10. One
11. Mysterious Ways
12. Stay or Walk On*
13. Beautiful Day
14. Elevation*
15. Vertigo
16. SYCMIOYO
18. Window In The Sky

*You can swap Elevation and Walk On here; "12. Stay or Elevation" and "14. Walk On". Or maybe they'll just discard SYCMIOYO and use all three of Stay, Elevation, and Walk On.

What i meant with regard to them including Angel Of Harlem over Desire was that although desire was u2's first number 1 in the Uk, (I bought it the day it came out with my pocket money) that doesn't mean its a more well known song to the general public at large. For example all my aunts, my mum , even my granny would know angel of harlem but wouldn't have a clue what the hell desire was. Angel of harlem is well known in a similar way to One and I still Haven't found, everybody knows it, and although desire is a superior song i feel that if U2 are looking for songs that will shift albums to punters who dont own any U2 albums then i think they will go with Angel of harlem over Desire.
Although I think the Boy/October era should be represented, I feel that Gloria should do the job ideally with a song from Boy too, but anything other than i will Follow. I love that song about as much as Axver loves One.

An Cat Gav said:

What i meant with regard to them including Angel Of Harlem over Desire was that although desire was u2's first number 1 in the Uk, (I bought it the day it came out with my pocket money) that doesn't mean its a more well known song to the general public at large. For example all my aunts, my mum , even my granny would know angel of harlem but wouldn't have a clue what the hell desire was. Angel of harlem is well known in a similar way to One and I still Haven't found, everybody knows it, and although desire is a superior song i feel that if U2 are looking for songs that will shift albums to punters who dont own any U2 albums then i think they will go with Angel of harlem over Desire.

Really? That's certainly not the impression I've got. In my experience, most people have known both songs, but enjoyed Desire more. I think it's definitely the more recognisable and popular song worldwide. Though, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if both made it. I expect two out of Desire, AOH, and AIWIY to be included.

Although I think the Boy/October era should be represented, I feel that Gloria should do the job ideally with a song from Boy too, but anything other than i will Follow. I love that song about as much as Axver loves One.

:lol: I certainly don't think IWF is the best Boy song, but I wouldn't go that far! Now, if only the band would include A Day Without Me. It was their first single from an album, after all. :wink:

Axver said:

Really? That's certainly not the impression I've got. In my experience, most people have known both songs, but enjoyed Desire more. I think it's definitely the more recognisable and popular song worldwide. Though, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if both made it. I expect two out of Desire, AOH, and AIWIY to be included.

:lol: I certainly don't think IWF is the best Boy song, but I wouldn't go that far! Now, if only the band would include A Day Without Me. It was their first single from an album, after all. :wink:

If only they could have made the single of A Day Without me sound like the live version it would have been :drool: :drool:
Ok i don't hate i will follow as much as you hate One, but it's so annoying that it gets such constant airplay in almost every bloody tour even though out of control, a day without me and 11 oclock tick tock are much better songs!
I think that was another great thing about ZOO TV, hardly any I will bloody Follow!

An Cat Gav said:

If only they could have made the single of A Day Without me sound like the live version it would have been :drool: :drool:
Ok i don't hate i will follow as much as you hate One, but it's so annoying that it gets such constant airplay in almost every bloody tour even though out of control, a day without me and 11 oclock tick tock are much better songs!
I think that was another great thing about ZOO TV, hardly any I will bloody Follow!

Now that post, I can agree with! I can't believe that at some of the later dates on the third leg of Vertigo, U2 played I Will Follow instead of the mighty Electric Co.! Now if any song should have never been dumped from the set, it's The Electric Co. - oh, and 11 O'clock Tick Tock too. :drool:

U2 will never release a genuine Best Of until they put out one with a live performance of 11 O'clock Tick Tock from the 1980-85 period. :wink:

Axver said:

Now that post, I can agree with! I can't believe that at some of the later dates on the third leg of Vertigo, U2 played I Will Follow instead of the mighty Electric Co.! Now if any song should have never been dumped from the set, it's The Electric Co. - oh, and 11 O'clock Tick Tock too. :drool:

U2 will never release a genuine Best Of until they put out one with a live performance of 11 O'clock Tick Tock from the 1980-85 period. :wink:
[/QUOTE

:up:

Axver said:

1. I Will Follow
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. Pride
5. Streets
6. ISHFWILF
7. WOWY
8. Desire
9. Angel Of Harlem
10. One
11. Mysterious Ways
12. Stay or Walk On*
13. Beautiful Day
14. Elevation*
15. Vertigo
16. SYCMIOYO
18. Window In The Sky

I don't know how it did elsewhere, but in the U.S., Stay wasn't really a big hit. I know Bono loves the song, but if this compilation is geared more towards the most well-known and radio-friendly hits, then I think HMTMKMKM goes on there instead of Stay.

Otherwise, I think this track listing is spot on.

Back
Top Bottom