MERGED ----> Definitive collection tracklisting predictions/discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Slow Loris said:
This is the best track order of all time! (Thanks to Michael Griffiths for helping me out! :wink: )

Elevation
I Will Follow
Vertigo
Desire
New Year's Day
All I Want Is You
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
Stay
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Mysterious Ways
Window in the Sky (new song)
With or Without You
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Beautiful Day
The Saints Are Coming (new song)

:ohmy:

"I may be slow, but what do you expect? I am a Loris!"
Well, it looks like I was right about 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' flowing into 'One'. And people scoffed at that idea!

:wink:

I would have:

1.) New Year’s Day
2.) Pride (In The Name Of Love)
3.) With Or Without You
4.) I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
5.) Where The Streets Have No Name
6.) Desire
7.) All I Want Is You
8.) Mysterious Ways
9.) One
10.) Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
11.) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
12.) Discotheque
13.) Sweetest Thing
14.) Beautiful Day
15.) Elevation
16.) Vertigo
17.) The Saints Are Coming
18.) Window In The Sky

why does u2.com say that the tracklisting spans boy to htdaab?
where's the boy song?
are u2.com really this bad?
apparently so...

It's official:

1. Beautiful Day
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. Pride (in The Name Of Love)
4. With Or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year’s Day
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
9. Where The Streets Have No Name
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Walk On
15. Elevation
16. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
17. The Saints Are Coming
18. Window In The Skies

U2.com

As nme.com reports, the uk edition will also contain I Will Follow as a bonus track.

I hope it isn't tacked onto the end, especially if Window in The Skies is ballad-ish. I also hope it doesn't have that massive gap after the last song, that annoys me.

Why not just insert it into the tracklist? In fact, just give IWF to everyone!

After making an iTunes playlist of the U218: Singles tracklist, I have determined that it sounds "okay" but could (and should) be a lot better. Here is what I thought of each transition:
NB. I used Single Mixes of Walk On & Sweetest Thing, Tomb Raider Mix of Elevation, Edited versions of Streets & SYCMIOYO & NYD.

Start -> Beautiful Day Good, uplifting start to an album. Worked on ATYCLB, good choice here.
Beautiful Day -> ISHFWILF Good, despite the 13 year gap these two tracks mesh quite well!
ISHFWILF -> Pride Okay, not as bad I initially thought. Triumphant song after a thoughtful one.
Pride -> WOWY Poor, the two songs have different feelings. I don't like the change.
WOWY -> Vertigo Shocking! The subtle yearning at the end of WOWY gives way to hyperbolic spanish!
Vertigo -> NYD Not bad, though 21 year gap is quite noticeable! The volume and production differences are quite noticeable with NYD being so much older.
NYD -> Mysterious Ways Okay, I thought this would be worse, but in the end it was not horrible.
Mysterious Ways -> Stuck Poor! The change in tempo and feeling in the songs really frustrates me, but its not hideous.
Stuck -> Streets Okay, but I can think of better songs to precede *the* U2 song, ie NONE.
Streets -> Sweetest Thing What song can follow Streets? Not Sweetest Thing, despite it being the former's B-Side (?)
Sweetest Thing -> Sunday Bloody Sunday Nasty! What the hell were they thinking with this transition?
Sunday Bloody Sunday -> One Okay, but again it seems a poor choice.
One -> Desire Poor! Ballad to Uptempo americana???! What the.....
Desire -> Walk On Poor AGAIN! Walk On should be a closing song, I didn't like it at #4 on ATYCLB either.
Walk On -> Elevation Terrible...you feel like the album is ending then WHAM!
Elevation -> SYCMIOYO Appalling! Worst transition on the album. To go from throwaway pop to heartfelt ballad does NOT work in this context.
SYCMIOYO -> Saints Pretty good! This doesn't sound out of place, other than going from Bono to Billy Joe.

After listening, I have determined this would be a nicer order:

01 Streets
02 Beautiful Day
03 ISHFWILF
04 SYCMIOYO
05 Sweetest Thing
06 Desire
07 Elevation
08 Vertigo
09 New Year's Day
10 Stuck
11 Pride
12 SBS
13 Saints
14 Mysterious Ways
15 WOWY
16 One
17 Walk On

Slot in "Window in The Skies" depending on what it sounds like! If I Will Follow is at the end, it is allll dooooooomed!

Danny Boy said:
It's official:

1. Beautiful Day
4. With Or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year’s Day
7. Mysterious Ways
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Walk On
15. Elevation
18. Window In The Skies

U2.com

A few points that I'd like to make about the definite tracklisting.

1. I'm surprised they didn't begin with a Bomb track.
  2. No City of Blinding Lights?
  3. With or Without You - Vertigo - New Year's Day? :huh: :tsk:
  4. No Boy, October, Zooropa or Pop. That is shocking. Zooropa I can maybe understand a little, but Numb should be there. And come on! Pop had five bloody singles to choose from!
    [/list=1]

Definitely not the best tracklisting, I am surprised at a few omissions and a few inclusions, in fact I am surprised they would bring out a best of at all, an LP would have been a better, or even just included Window in the Skies on the Saints single, I don't know.

Won't stop me buying it though :wink:

Why would With or Without You, Vertigo, and New Year's Day be puzzling inclusions? They are three of U2's most successful singles of their career.

Lancemc said:
Why would With or Without You, Vertigo, and New Year's Day be puzzling inclusions? They are three of U2's most successful singles of their career.

Exactely

WOWY - Most u2 played on radio ever
NYD - one of top u2 videos , coz of the whole "Duran do it with hot girls , We do with horses"

And vertigo needless to say

COBL_04 said:

A few points that I'd like to make about the definite tracklisting.

1. I'm surprised they didn't begin with a Bomb track.
  2. No City of Blinding Lights?
  3. With or Without You - Vertigo - New Year's Day? :huh: :tsk:
  4. No Boy, October, Zooropa or Pop. That is shocking. Zooropa I can maybe understand a little, but Numb should be there. And come on! Pop had five bloody singles to choose from!
    [/list=1]

Definitely not the best tracklisting, I am surprised at a few omissions and a few inclusions, in fact I am surprised they would bring out a best of at all, an LP would have been a better, or even just included Window in the Skies on the Saints single, I don't know.

Won't stop me buying it though :wink:

1. I think 'Stay (Faraway, So Close)' would have been a far better inclusion than 'Numb', as it woud have fit in with the classicly melodic flavour of the album, but done it much better than 'Stuck' or 'Sometimes'.

The other gaffe is not including 'Angel of Harlem' -- possibly U2's greatest and most classic "45-style-pop-single" to date. There are a lot of great lyrcal ideas presented in that song that deserve to be brought back to the mainstream:

Ie, the idea of "salvation in the blues".

What a missed opportunity.

Originally posted by thelaj

Stuck -> Streets Okay, but I can think of better songs to precede *the* U2 song, ie NONE.

Please--->Wake Up Dead Man--->Streets

The ultimate pre-Streets lineup. Oh, and how did you forget Running To Stand Still--->Streets? :eyebrow:

1. Beautiful Day
4. With Or Without You
5. Vertigo
6. New Year’s Day
7. Mysterious Ways
10. Sweetest Thing
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. One
13. Desire
14. Walk On
15. Elevation
18. Window In The Skies

Anyone else notice this? The more generic tracks (straight ahead guitar rock) are at the end, including a clumping of new material, while the more experimental stuff, that really stands out on the radio is at the start. And then there's "Sweetest Thing"/"Sunday Bloody Sunday" which are kind of in the middle. Rather odd because most albums put the weirder stuff at the end, but U2's success has come from being different, so.......

hmm. And now thinking about it, that could be part of it. Tracks 14-16 were hardly hits in the United States for example, while "Desire" is probably now less known then all of the tracks before it....

Last edited:
True, All I Want is You, Bad & RTSS are all great run-ups to Streets, but I feel that is more in a "live" setting, where the music and emotion can run together better.

And of course, on an album any of those would fit nicely too...but.....none of those tracks are on this album. Which is why I said it should be track 1 *album version lol*

chrissybaby said:
why does u2.com say that the tracklisting spans boy to htdaab?
where's the boy song?
are u2.com really this bad?
apparently so...

Remember, U2 are from Ireland. In Ireland and in the U.K., it's really "U219" as there is an extra track on the U.K. release - namely, "I Will Follow". So from that perspective, yes, it is from "Boy" to "Bomb".

doctorwho said:

Remember, U2 are from Ireland. In Ireland and in the U.K., it's really "U219" as there is an extra track on the U.K. release - namely, "I Will Follow". So from that perspective, yes, it is from "Boy" to "Bomb".

For the Australians here: We are also getting the UK version with I Will Follow.

Earnie Shavers said:

For the Australians here: We are also getting the UK version with I Will Follow.

O.K., now this easily proves the CD could have held more songs. What's the point of calling this "U218" if most countries outside the U.S. have 19 songs? Why not just call it "U219" (or, like was suggested by others, "U230" to celebrate their 30 years together - make it a 2 disc item)?

Regardless, I always order the special version of a CD, so I got me one of these 19 song CD's coming. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom