McGuinness Opens Up a bit on New Album & Artwork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the U2 album covers in recent years have been a bit lacking IMO, the last one I really liked was the Pop cover.

I really liked the HTDAAB cover. Something about the red and black was cool. And even the pose of them sitting worked. Simple, yes, but it worked.

I also liked the blurry imagery of the airport for ATYCLB.

In contrast, the silver Warhol-esque cover for "Pop" never sat well with me.

But album covers are indeed art and, by definition, art is subjective.

I really liked the HTDAAB cover. Something about the red and black was cool. And even the pose of them sitting worked. Simple, yes, but it worked.

I also liked the blurry imagery of the airport for ATYCLB.

In contrast, the silver Warhol-esque cover for "Pop" never sat well with me.

But album covers are indeed art and, by definition, art is subjective.

yeah, I actually quite like the ATYCLB cover...their is an atmosphere to it that makes sense with the music, and just fits overall...HTDAAB on the other hand doesn't really do anything for me...it's just...well, another picture of the four guys...that cover really doesn't make much sense :scratch: ...

but, of all their album covers, I think AB wins :)

I really like the Rattle and Hum cover.

It's the first longbox(for those of you who remember) I bought so it has a special place in my heart.

I'm not sure if we've ever had one, but someone should start a rate the album covers thread...

JT, AB, R&H have to be in my top rankings...

If they were smart, having a title No line on the horizon they should include an album cover featuring a beautiful shot off the coast of Ireland with that obscuring fog and greyslate sky.

Landscapes always are evocative, and Bono has already talked about it.

If they were smart, having a title No line on the horizon they should include an album cover featuring a beautiful shot off the coast of Ireland with that obscuring fog and greyslate sky.

Something like this, maybe? :wink:

picturemc2.jpg

I nearly posted last night, but I held my breath and had some time to think about what I wanted to truly say. Your post purpleoscar just gave me the encouragement to spill my guts out for a sec, so you kind of had to be the sacrificial lamb, but I do like some of your ideas. But for the boundaries to be pushed and to truly make an astonishing artistic statement, as they have at various times of their career, (JT, AB, even Pop) I think the band will need to go where they visually haven't gone before.

I'm sorry, but I hope they go for the idea you imagined. Speaking from my artistic/ photographic perspective, I would appreciate something slightly more challenging and unexpected, a use of visual metaphors on wording, rather than attack the obvious and exact interpretation of the phrase 'No Line on the Horizon', if that is indeed the album title. I completely agree that it evokes majestic scenery and the homeland, much like the imagery to emerge from the Joshua Tree sessions, but why settle for the obvious, especially when you have a creative team led by the likes of Corbijn and Averill, and their tour personnel like Willie Williams and all of their original boundary-pushing stylings, I would expect nothing like we would imagine. This waiting period for the next album has sounded so creative, fresh and energetic that I wouldn't even dare speculate what the album cover or inner jacket art will resemble.

To add to a previous comment by david, where he stated he doesn't see the importance of album artwork anymore, I blame that on the ease and number of outlets to find information on your favorite musician, whether it be in the media, fansites, mp3 filesharing websites, etc, etc. Album art mattered when people had to tote around an album and listen to it to hear their favorites, then they had a physical relationship to the album cover. There just wasn't the proliferation of things to do in this world. Now, we are so bombarded with hundreds of channels on cable or satellite tv, cable radio, thousands of magazines on nearly every topic imaginable, and fansites that provide you with photos and lyrics that you would've had to rely on the album jacket for. It's no surprise that the importance of the album's art has diminished because it has remained consistent and expected. The trick to revive the importance of album art is to probably change the way it is experienced, and a radical change in music that will make people want to recognize the art of picking up a physical cd and consider buying it or album and look at it- hopefully.

Which brings me to Paul McGuinness' scathing comments towards Internet Providers for not cracking down on illegal downloading of music and media. If music was passing through the proper outlets and paid for as in the vast majority of times it should be, music, albums and the art would be much more appreciated. Instead, we live in an age when it is way too easy to illegally download a song (not album, song) and never experience anything more to link to the song than the song itself. Many of the benefits to a musician or group that the imagery and visuals bring to a musician that would help the public relate and endorse them are lost. It is sad, because the time, talent and creativity expended would be examined and appreciated more if people had to make a decision about what they would like to spend their hard earned money on, rather than leave their computer on 24 hours a day downloading illegally. So, after all of that, I wouldn't blame the lack of creativity or artistic talent on the importance of album art going away, but the outstanding number of ways that music can now pass through peoples' hands, or better yet through their ears without even having to make physical contact with the listener at this time in history.

Noxious fumes on the horizon

I meant to say I hope they don't go for the idea :doh: I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Don't worry, I'm not being too serious.

If they want something different then they could put a dinosaur turd on the cover with a twig upright in it and the title "noxious fumes on the horizon"

Really if they had a "black album", "It's none, none more black", I would still buy it because of the content. I don't think they will do anything like I'm talking about. I know from McG's comments that they are already trying to do something new in a digital way. I'm sure with iTunes they can add lyrics and other visual dimensions that will change digital downloads, which are usually quite boring, and the CD version will probably have a large booklet as well. I like what they did to the remasters in adding lots more pictures and full lyrics. It helps me have a relationship with the music more than a download would.

It is possible do more with downloads. I would prefer something like Beck did with a DVD with U2 videos for each track. I like seeing band members playing their instruments. I like photos of the recording location and studio itself. In Rainbows had nice photos with landscapes and the studio. I know I don't want to see is some pretentious Dark side of the moon album cover, or digital X & Y/Rush of blood to the head styles. I can already see a drawing of a brain and some horizon. I don't want black and white or desaturated colours either. I want FULL colour. HTDAAB had a nice booklet on the special edition with Bono's ideas, though the lyrics were missing. If Edge owns the colour "indigo" they should use that.

So, full colour, videos for each track, full lyrics, Bono's musings and I'm a sucker for landscapes. I want to see Ireland, the Mediterrainian, and Fez. A picture with all Edge's guitars, including the one no one has ever touched.

This will increase the cost of the album so there will have to be 2 versions, regular, and deluxe.

I don't understamd Mc Guinness...the artwork as important as the music? He is saying strange things lately...maybe he should retire...
He still doesn't want to admit that music business is changing maybe? As if they sell more with it....Who cares about the artwork???

The only thing U2 has to do is blow my mind with great new songs!!!

I don't understamd Mc Guinness...the artwork as important as the music? He is saying strange things lately...maybe he should retire...
He still doesn't want to admit that music business is changing maybe? As if they sell more with it....Who cares about the artwork???

The only thing U2 has to do is blow my mind with great new songs!!!
So the only purpose you're stating they make album art is to sell more albums? :tsk:

It's certainly a motivating factor, but not the only factor behind what appears on that cover.

I love comments like these because if shows how much is not acknowledged regarding a band that has its roots in so many interests outside of music, as if all that ever mattered was the sounds, the songs. If artwork in general doesn't matter, then I guess it was never important for the band to be introduced to the Peace Museum in Chicago where they viewed artwork from survivors of the bombings in Japan (WWII) that went on to inspire the Unforgettable Fire. Had you ever thought that artwork may have encourage them at any time during the recording process? Or are they just trapped in a music-only vacuum? The artwork is the gravy on top of the potatoes, and if it looks good, which they have a great track record of doing, then why diminish its value?

So to answer your question, I care, and other people care, the band cares. The point of their artwork isn't necessarily to 'sell' more albums, but to complete the artistic statement that goes simply beyond the album, possibly to unite the idea in the album to what will follow, say a tour, for example an album with red and black warning stripes that finding their way into and hypnotic graphics and warning signs all over the place that heighten the U2 experience, not limited just to an album. Remember, U2 live to perform live and they are more than musicians, they are artists in their own right. Even their album art has inspired me, no where near as much as their music, but it still matters :yes:

Back
Top Bottom