MARK MY WORDS: Album out BY Super Bowl, FIRST SINGLE at the LEAST

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
The biggest television event of the year, basically a National Holiday and you think U2 will let The Boss have all the GLORY?

Something will be cooking with U2 by then....at least the first single will be out for one of the SUPER BOWL COMMERCIALS!

very good thought...i can see that. With the SuperBowl on Feb 1, '09, the perfect launching pad commercially, especially if the album drops Feb 2/3 (and the best bday gift ever for Feb4!) With their pairing with the NFL in the past, could imagine hearing a new single being used for commercial break intro/outro.

There's a whole other world out there, including Ireland, who doesn't give a crap about American football. And U2 are huge fans of Springsteen. Why undercut him when they don't need a gimmick which would only matter in the US?

As much as American football is really only culturally connected with the US, the Super Bowl is still one of the most watched events in the world.

But I really doubt they'll use it as a spring board (except if there's a single out and its used in an Apple ad), come on how many albums are advertised on TV anymore? Although I was quite surprised this spring to see a spot for R.E.M.'s "Accelerate".

The biggest television event of the year, basically a National Holiday and you think U2 will let The Boss have all the GLORY?

Something will be cooking with U2 by then....at least the first single will be out for one of the SUPER BOWL COMMERCIALS!

The ONLY way this makes sense to me is if the New Orleans Saints make it to the Superbowl. Then maybe U2 will have an uplifting song played about the city during a commerical. Unfortunately, the Saints aren't a lock for the playoffs so...

I HIGHLY doubt a song from the new album will be used in a commercial that isn't a commercial for the album itself.

They cashed in for the World Cup, but their argument was that there's nothing bigger than the World Cup. Plus, it had a ONE Campaign association.

who knows, i could be wrong.

Why undercut him when they don't need a gimmick which would only matter in the US?

97.5 million viewers watched the Super Bowl last year. It may only matter in the US, but the Super Bowl is kind of a big deal.

Regardless, I can't see U2 hawking their album between plays.

I don't see why this is such a far-fetched idea. They used "Beautiful Day" to kick off the Olympics and didn't they use "City of Blinding Lights" for a college football game and the World Cup? I can totally see them doing something with the Super Bowl. But no, they won't try to compete with Springsteen's half-time show.

I don't see why this is such a far-fetched idea. They used "Beautiful Day" to kick off the Olympics and didn't they use "City of Blinding Lights" for a college football game and the World Cup? I can totally see them doing something with the Super Bowl. But no, they won't try to compete with Springsteen's half-time show.

exactly why i agree with the original poster

uhhhhh...ok....?

What are you trying to say?

The rest of the world doesn't care about american football.

Pay attention, Rob!

So? Americans care about U2.

So fuck the rest of the world? :lol: I know Americans care about U2. And I also realize that the US is probably U2's biggest market. But there are fans in the rest of the world... those who don't give a shit about American Football. They'll probably look at this like U2 is kissing American ass yet again. If U2 has to latch on to a sporting event, it's better to pick a worldwide sport like Soccer. That is if they give a shit about fans outside America.

Yeah I know what it is. :wink: Was being sarcastic...

oops! missed the sarcasm ... but it was a nice excuse to to elaborate on the painful ways Americans can take a perfectly enjoyable sport and butcher it. (apologies to any fans ... but seriously. watch a game of rugby union. thats how its meant to be played :wink:)

But there are fans in the rest of the world... those who don't give a shit about American Football. They'll probably look at this like U2 is kissing American ass yet again.

Zootlesque said:
So fuck the rest of the world? :lol:

Yeah, come to think of it, fuck the rest of the world. They're being selfish, narrow-minded idiots right now, hogging U2 like that.

Honestly, I'm not even in favor of U2 hawking their record during the Super Bowl. I just think the idea that, by doing so, U2 would be making the rest of the world feel bad (and proving, once and for all, that U2 loves them less, like the kid who ran the car over the dog and into a tree) is ludicrous at best. The rest of the world needs to grow some balls if they're getting uptight about that.

Pay attention, Rob!

So fuck the rest of the world? :lol: I know Americans care about U2. And I also realize that the US is probably U2's biggest market. But there are fans in the rest of the world... those who don't give a shit about American Football. They'll probably look at this like U2 is kissing American ass yet again. If U2 has to latch on to a sporting event, it's better to pick a worldwide sport like Soccer. That is if they give a shit about fans outside America.

...but Americans don't pay attention to soccer (or at least most Americans), so they'd be alienating Americans' taste in sporting evenings to advertise for. It'd be bad business.

Why not just cater to both the US and Europe?

This "mutually exclusive" business is nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom