Magnificent single not available on CD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still not available this morning in London.

Bizarre.

Found a copy of one of the singles at the record exchange at Notting Hill Gate last Saturday. £25 though...way too much for me.

Perhaps unintentionally these things are turning into collectors items!! :hmm:

magnificent didnt get to top 40 uk single chart:down:

If this is still the case, it days more about the charts and who buys songs these days, than it does about the music.

Magnificent is up there with U2's best, who cares what the 12 year old girls are currently "chillaxing" or "woot wooting" to these days.

I think the number of hits this album has received throughout all avenues on the net would give a very different impression of the amount of people around the world listening to U2 than some Top 40 so-called "chart"...

Musically speaking, given the quality of bands from the UK over the last 40 years, it is very sad to see U2 not charting that well there... with rock music seemingly dead in the country that produced Beatles, Stones, Zed Zep, Pink Floyd, The Cure, Oasis etc...

Found a copy of one of the singles at the record exchange at Notting Hill Gate last Saturday. £25 though...way too much for me.

Perhaps unintentionally these things are turning into collectors items!! :hmm:

Jeez, that is a lot of money. Two months ago I managed to pick up both the CD single and the 7" of GOYB at HMV in London for a total of 5 quid I believe.
I ordered the Magnificent 7" online this time, but managed to get both the carton sleeve 2 track as well as the regular 3 track singles over here for €4 each.

I might be able to get some for you guys, however, it is almost a euro to the pound nowadays...

I mean I understand the whole wanting to have the CD as a collectors item and all, but really, I wouldn't spend more than like $15 on it, especially when you can just download them all for free.

I do want to have that one! :hyper:
But not for $300 (or whatever insane price they're asking for at the moment).

Best strategy for buying promos is not to buy immediately when they become available. Wait a few weeks, since the price will often drop quite a bit (as more are being offered). Don't wait too long though, as then the promo becomes scarce again.

In order to sell millions of albums you need to sell to people outside of your fanbase and one of the best ways to achieve that is to release brilliant singles and get them high up the charts as this generally leads to heavy radio and music tv rotation. The more singles I hear and like from an artist the more likely I am to buy there album and see them live.

Personally I don't care how many albums they sell, I'm happy for it to be low key, but I doubt very much that the band feel like this.

I'm just upset that for the first time in over twenty years I haven't been able to buy a U2 CD single and my collection will now be incomplete.

Pick up the book "Last Shop Standing" and you'll read about the decline of the single and independent record shops. Good book, great read, sad story.
HMV are still doing well in the face of the changes going on in the industry right now. The new owner has managed to turn the business round.

What's wrong with still buying CDs? It's something physical to hold in your hand which a lot of people like.

This "digital revolution" isn't all it's cracked up to be as people like to bang on about all the time.

cd's are so 5 years ago. what's the point of producing cd's that no one will buy? just download it.

Because I'd like a wave quality version of "Breathe (live)", not some mp3 crap that can get erased from my computer.

Just saw this over at MusicTap.net, a web site that reports CD release dates:

Watch for Magnificent, a Digital EP coming from U2 and scheduled for May 19. Physical product arrives on June 9 from Interscope Records as a Maxi CD.

As far as I know, MusicTap only reports on US-released CDs, which means if there really is a Maxi CD coming out it will be the first one since the Pop era to be released in the US. Plus, the listing notes that it is on Interscope Records, which also only applies to the US.

Just saw this over at MusicTap.net, a web site that reports CD release dates:

Watch for Magnificent, a Digital EP coming from U2 and scheduled for May 19. Physical product arrives on June 9 from Interscope Records as a Maxi CD.

As far as I know, MusicTap only reports on US-released CDs, which means if there really is a Maxi CD coming out it will be the first one since the Pop era to be released in the US. Plus, the listing notes that it is on Interscope Records, which also only applies to the US.

Nice find. This is probably the CD that's going for $300ish on ebay.

The physical release listed on amazon is the European 3-track CD. But as I noted above, there's apparently a US CD coming in June from Interscope. Who knows what the track listing will be though.

They should release a translucid colorful vinyl for the remixes.

Just like the Lemon vinyl :drool:

Back
Top Bottom