Magnificent delivered to the radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2/Mercury screws up again.

Magnificent is already getting decent airplay and the album needs a new single to keep up the momentum. But the band and label decide to wait another 7 weeks to officially release it .

By the time the CD and video clip are ready, radio will be bored with Magnificent and the album will have dropped out of the top 20.

Their best opportunity of getting a decent charting single has been squandered. It is destined to tank. Damn stupid fools.

yeah.......it doesnt make any sense. they should probably release their third single by that date..not the second.

People May will be closer to when the tour starts. U2 albums usually sell well when they are touring. I don't think U2 is too concerned about where the album is now. They know it will move steadily when they are touring so they time the rest of the singles to space out over the summer and fall as they tour. They don't even release singles in the US except to radio so it doesn't really matter over here. What I'm finding hilarious is that since I joined this site people have been bitching about U2 being too commercial and selling out and over promoting and worrying too much about chart position and sales. Now that they have an album out everyone seems to be bitching about not being commercial enough, not promoting well, not charting well, and not selling well. WTF???
There will always be someone bitching and people who think they know better than U2 what U2 should do, but I for one am glad that the band are still doing their own thing and obviously enjoying it tremendously.

Dana

U2/Mercury screws up again.

Magnificent is already getting decent airplay and the album needs a new single to keep up the momentum. But the band and label decide to wait another 7 weeks to officially release it .

By the time the CD and video clip are ready, radio will be bored with Magnificent and the album will have dropped out of the top 20.

Their best opportunity of getting a decent charting single has been squandered. It is destined to tank. Damn stupid fools.

Umm, it's 2009. Neither the physical CD nor even really the video mean squat.

If it's getting played at a decent clip on radio (is it?) then it's doing it's job.

I don't listen to the radio and I don't care about chart positions for albums or singles, because I don't know what's in the charts, I never look at them, not even for U2. I only care about the music I like. As far as U2 is concerned, I care about seeing them live, because I see them more as a live band, not a charts band. I stopped listening to my national radio because they play so much crap music. All they keep on playing from U2 are the same three old songs. I listen to the music I like by playing the albums, I couldn't care less about charts. I think singles are over rated in times like these.

If I weren't on this forum, I didn't even know which U2 songs are released as singles. Strangely, I'm not very fond of the idea that Magnificent might be played to death by radio stations and is played among all the horrible music that's on the radio most of the times.

I drive 2 times 25 minutes everyday and I heard the songs on 3 different radio stations yesterday: Classic Rock, Alternative Rock and Pop. Probably 10-11 times in the last week.

Also heard Unknown Caller on the classic rock station.

Montreal loves U2.

CHOM, The Buzz, and Mix96/Virgin? :)

from U2.com today.

The band are back in Fes, Morocco where they began writing much of No Line on the Horizon. This time they're shooting a video for the upcoming single, Magnificent.

They were last here in early summer 2007, along with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, in what turned out to be an influential period of songwriting.

Alex Courtes, who directed the 'Boot's video in London last December, is also here - at the helm again for the new shoot. First day of filming has been in a local riad and on the streets of this ancient city.

There's a video clip to go along with the story, but I can't see if from work.

from U2.com today.

The band are back in Fes, Morocco where they began writing much of No Line on the Horizon. This time they're shooting a video for the upcoming single, Magnificent.

They were last here in early summer 2007, along with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, in what turned out to be an influential period of songwriting.

Alex Courtes, who directed the 'Boot's video in London last December, is also here - at the helm again for the new shoot. First day of filming has been in a local riad and on the streets of this ancient city.

There's a video clip to go along with the story, but I can't see it from work.

Last edited:
I heard it on the radio today for the first time. :D

the radio edit just had the intro chopped a bit here, didn't seem bad at all!

I wonder what kind of video we'll be getting. :hmm:

I haven't heard it on my radio stations but who cares, I love this song. This album is for the fans I think, and not for radio. The rest will get it eventually. :sexywink:

you know, with Magnificent I actualy would be veeeery happy to have 3 or 4 remixes of the song (like EBTTRT, MW, Discotheque) as b-sides :drool:

me too. i'm also holding out hope that we'll get to hear the original "For Your Love".

In case you folks haven't been following the Peeling Off The Dollar Bills thread to see how Magnificent is doing on the radio so far in the US, here are the most recent weekly numbers from the various formats...

Alternative
Up to #19 from 22
741 plays (+103)

Hot AC
Up to #34 from 36
432 plays (+97)

Rock
Holds at #20
108 plays (+17)

Triple A
Up to #2 from 3
573 plays (+33)

The song is actually doing pretty well so far and it is continually being played more and more! :D

The song is getting a little bit of love from the Swedish National Radio (SR P3) but most radio stations here still ignore it, still throwing up Britney Spears and Lady Gaga (nothing personal, but I can't stand listening to even one of their songs more than once). Viva la Vida's still on top of the world right now, and has been since it was released. I'm getting sick of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if even the ones working at the radio stations agree with me.

Back
Top Bottom