Magnificent delivered to the radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did For Your Love morph into Stand Up Comedy?

yes, though they are completely different songs. considering U2 release alt versions of Vertigo, ABOY, SYCMIOYO, AMAAW, Fast Cars, and Yahweh, hopefully we'll at least get For Your Love this time around!

we're in the minority here... we shall see who ends up being right.

i hope i'm wrong... for the tour and album to be a real success they're going to need a big single... i just don't think it's magnificent.

i don't think they will need a big single for the tour to be a success

I haven't heard Magnificent but I did hear Crazy Tonight on the way home from work last night.

And I think I'm starting to like it. :reject:

LOL! me too. when driving home last night, my wife said that Crazy Tonight is the only song on the album that actually sounds like U2's past work, but it's ok because it's catchy.

she doesn't compliment U2 very often, so i took this as a HUGE win. :wink:

He actually sounded pretty good on those high parts in the last performance in Boston I thought. He'll probably get better at hitting them live as he does it more, but there will still surely always be off nights. I like those 2 parts actually... when he hits it sounds great. I haven't heard him hit the high part of Magnificent live yet the way he does on the studio version... if he can manage that one live it will be ... magnificent :wink:

This is the first single where I am kind of hoping that there is nothing significant in terms of a new song as a B-side. Why? This would solidify my desire/belief to see the next album to come out in year or so. There was nothing new for Boots single (as a B-side). A "first" really for any first single of a new U2 album. Maybe a dance remix of Mag, or a couple of live tracks from U23D (Yahweh being one). Winter could be there, it might be redone for the next album, or it could still sprout for the soundtrack of the Brothers film.

they already have a great (different) vido for magnificent - from Linear - sugest they release that now to create airplay and attention Mike:wave:

I haven't heard Magnificent but I did hear Crazy Tonight on the way home from work last night.

And I think I'm starting to like it. :reject:

Don't be upset...this song rocks. There are a lot of people on this forum that don't like it and consider it a filler but fu*k that! I think this songs rocks and I dont care who knows it..... "Listen for me, I’ll be shouting, Shouting to the darkness, Squeeze out sparks of light"

Just give in and blast it out of your radio! :yippie:

Me too, unlike others I really enjoy listening to Crazy. Theres a huge uplifting feeling in the chorus, good drumming and bassplaying too.

Me too, unlike others I really enjoy listening to Crazy. Theres a huge uplifting feeling in the chorus, good drumming and bassplaying too.

:up: I agree with ya mate!

This song never fails to make me feel happy! The drums are totally un-larry like, and the bass is great! I like the little parts right before they go into a new verse, the two notes, then wait, then two notes, and Adam does some little loop into the verse. Great track!
The guitar really sounds like Edge, but whatcha gonna do. :wink: It's not exactly something to complain about.

The first time I heard it I really didn't like the falsetto bit in the beginning, but now I'm used to it!

I like Crazy Tonight, but it's a U2 song very much in the vein of Window in the Skies--which is fine, except that I think WITS is superior. I wonder how that would sound in place of CT?

I like Crazy Tonight, but it's a U2 song very much in the vein of Window in the Skies--which is fine, except that I think WITS is superior. I wonder how that would sound in place of CT?

I was just thinking last night about how I feel WITS could fit onto NLOTH... structurally its similar to ALYCLB or HTDAAB, but it is 'different' in the same sense that many of the tracks (IGCIIDGCT / SUC) are 'different'.. not experimental, but slightly new for the band.

Edge has a different sort of solo, the strings fit with a lot of the string work on NLOTH, and the drums are forward a bit and similar in mood. The biggest similarity is the layering, I think, in the vocals. But thats just what I think..

I'm glad Magnificent is going to be the next single, not Crazy Tonight. While the song has grown on me, I still consider it to be my least favourite song on the album. I still feel irritated by the falsetto part.

When will Magnificent be officially released to radio stations? And do we know if they have made the video already? Last thing I heard was they were heading back to Fez to shoot a video, or parts of it. I don't know if that has happened yet.

I heard Magnificent for the first time on the radio today in San Diego! I was so :hyper: to hear it. It didn't sound like an edited single version though I did miss the very beginning so I don't know how long the intro was, but the rest of the song sounded the same as the album.

I heard Magnificent for the first time on the radio today in San Diego! I was so :hyper: to hear it. It didn't sound like an edited single version though I did miss the very beginning so I don't know how long the intro was, but the rest of the song sounded the same as the album.

Niiice!

Still haven't heard it, but I'm probably listening to the wrong station. Still hearing only old U2 songs. :tsk:

I wonder when the single will be released :hmm:

Finally new U2 on the radio in San Diego!! :applaud: Ever since the album release, KPRI has been playing Magnificent and Crazy Tonight a TON!! I started listening to KPRI exclusively because of this, and I really like their play list. Seems like I hear them at least once or twice per day (I usually have the radio on during work) Me likey!! :hyper:

I drive 2 times 25 minutes everyday and I heard the songs on 3 different radio stations yesterday: Classic Rock, Alternative Rock and Pop. Probably 10-11 times in the last week.

Also heard Unknown Caller on the classic rock station.

Montreal loves U2.

Finally new U2 on the radio in San Diego!! :applaud: Ever since the album release, KPRI has been playing Magnificent and Crazy Tonight a TON!! I started listening to KPRI exclusively because of this, and I really like their play list. Seems like I hear them at least once or twice per day (I usually have the radio on during work) Me likey!! :hyper:

I'll have to listen to that one more! I can't remember which station I heard it on but I think it was 94.9. I also heard Bullet the Blue Sky day before yesterday on either that or 103.7 too which surprised me :ohmy: !

^ No problem C! I switch around between all the stations here that play U2. There are at least 6 that do... sometimes it makes me :crazy: switching around but I usually get at least one U2 song on my short drive to work, 2 when I'm lucky. :D

:lol:

From U2.com

U2's new single will be 'Magnificent' and turns out our friends in Coldplay are ahead of the game. They've been playing it before they come on stage on their current tour.

Mercury Records will release the new single on May 4th and the track has been getting plaudits ever since 'No Line...' was released.

The Times in London called it 'stunning' while Q magazine called it a 'slow-building anthem with the ambience of The Unforgettable Fire'. High praise indeed.

And as the good people of Coldplay twittered the other day, ' a truly beautiful song'. Thanks guys.

So what does everyone else think ? Good choice?

Back
Top Bottom