Magnificent delivered to the radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 going to Fez to shoot video, 2nd single of album. Wonder if it will be a big hit like Mysterious Ways to keep the momentum going? Definitely not as catchy as MW, but should grow on people if given the chance by radio today.

It feels significant that the current top 3 selling U2 songs on iTunes were released this decade; Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and Magnificent (?).

I say ? because I'm honestly not (or wasn't) expecting Magnificent to be a major hit. Good on the band, though, if it takes off.

^^The download generation, most of iTunes user base wasn't around for their earlier stuff, which they either have or relegate to "classic rock" radio.

agreed. it will be a song where casual fans hear and say "that's a great song" but it won't be a big hit or anything.

They should have done a remix of BOOTS with Kanye have him rap a verse after the "let me in the sound" part with the same drum beat. call me stupid, but that would have got them A LOT of MTV/Pop Radio airplay and might have put it over the top to make it a big hit. Plus Kanye loves them so he would have done it. just an idea...something different while still making it more popular.

If it was U2's goal to have big hits and only big hits, maybe this would work.

But at what price?

I think many in the U2 fandom would have completely disowned the band. There would be screams of selling out. Why else do so many artists "pair up"? They both give each other a boost. And I'd like to think that U2 is above having the "artist du jour" on a song to get big sales. I can accept movie tie-ins and even iTunes commercials as both are about the music (movies use music, iTunes is a music site). Now, if U2 paired up with another rock artist, as they did with Green Day, then I can accept that. Their styles are similar at least. But pairing with a rap artist just for popularity would probably be seen as a move of a desperate artist trying to remain relevant.

I'd rather see softer sales than have U2 do this.

I always saw U2 pairing up with GD as a complete marking tactic. Sure it started out as a charity thing, but it seemed to suddenly become more of a hook to reel younger people in to buying 18 singles.

Having Kanye on a remix wouldnt be that big anyway, He's on almost every remix in the world now, and where it would generate buzz, but most would just look at it as "oh another Kanye featuring song" and it would prolly get lost in the 4 others he has out right now.

U2 going to Fez to shoot video, 2nd single of album. Wonder if it will be a big hit like Mysterious Ways to keep the momentum going? Definitely not as catchy as MW, but should grow on people if given the chance by radio today.

That's what I was thinking when I heard the next video was going to be filmed there. Could lead up to some interesting storyline though, so I guess we'll see.

I've already heard Magnificent on the radio for the first and second time today in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, so it looks like it's starting to get some airplay up here too.

Not sure why some people don't think Magnificent will be a hit, for me it's the best song they have done in a long time. I think it will appeal to the masses and not just big U2 fans and the overall feeling is that it should have been the first single, but U2 probably thought it was too typical and too predictable to be the first single and went with GOYB instead, which has turned out to be a bad decision.

GOYB is a pretty impacting song if you let it sink in, I think it has elements that make it instantly catchable and make sense as a single, and other elements that will make the general public go WTF? so, it would have worked better as a later single probably. Me, I would have picked Breathe or the title track as the first single, Magnificent is the perfect second single regardless.

Not sure why some people don't think Magnificent will be a hit, for me it's the best song they have done in a long time. I think it will appeal to the masses and not just big U2 fans and the overall feeling is that it should have been the first single, but U2 probably thought it was too typical and too predictable to be the first single and went with GOYB instead, which has turned out to be a bad decision.

To play devil's advocate, the problem with Magnificent being a single is that it...doesn't really go anywhere. It's basically Bono shouting "only love" and "magnificent" over and over again. The sound is classic Edge, which I enjoy a great deal, and it looks like most people here enjoy a great deal, but I wonder how this song will go over with the average non-U2 listener.

? Look at the lyrics, its a religious song. Ever heard of The Magnificent?

No. What is it? :wave:

I was going to say something to the effect that "only love can leave such a scar" and "I was born to sing for you" might be lyrics too flat for listeners to buy into, then realized this was a world where "Crank That" became a hit song.

So, uh, the song's got a nice melody, it could work.

GOYB is a pretty impacting song if you let it sink in, I think it has elements that make it instantly catchable and make sense as a single, and other elements that will make the general public go WTF? so, it would have worked better as a later single probably. Me, I would have picked Breathe or the title track as the first single, Magnificent is the perfect second single regardless.

I partly agree - Breathe is a joyful rocker and would have been a perfect first single with Magnificent as no 2, the title track as no 3 and maybe a remix of Crazy could have gained some airplay as the fourth single. I think that I even would have liked Boots if I first heard it on the album and not alone as a single. It´s this album´s Numb - decent on the album, sucks as a single. How, boys, could you make such a mistake?

Anyone wondering if the album will have momentum by the time the tour starts in the U.S. in September? I really hope Magnificent and Crazy can carry this album from March-August in the U.S. at least. Always good to have a crowd into the new songs, especially since U2 plays half of their new albums live.

And I agree that Magnificent is not a clear single. It's not on a catchy level like Mysterious Ways or Pride, and as a 2nd second single, needs radio stations to get going. I'm looking at the top 50 songs on Billboard in the U.S. and Magnificent would be a total outlier in that list. Would be cool if it was though!:hyper:

KROQ in LA was playing it a couple of times today...heard it while streaming online for info regarding the 3 Nights of U2.

I love it as a single, it's my favorite song from NLOTH and I can't wait for the video!:love::love:

Sadly, Kroq in NYC is no longer as of Wednesday. I say "sadly" because 92.3 Krocq was a big supporter of U2 over the years. Now, it will be called 92.3 Now and they will play.....Top 40. :sad:

does this song remind anyone else of new years day in terms of single potential? neither of them are really terribly catchy (especially at first) but are very very good after a few listens... and that classic edge sound is just perfection

Here's the thing... Does U2 want to take a chance and potentially get a smash #1 hit, or do they want to not take a risk and get a sure top 100 hit? By releasing 'Magnificent', they want to take a risk for the possible smash #1 single. And thank God for that!

'With or Without You' was a very unlikely choice for a radio single. It had no convention, no obvious hook or obvious chorus. But look what happened! It seeped into the world consciousness because of its subtlety and beauty. People could not shake to it, yet they could not shake it. The same thing could very easily happen with 'Magnificent', as it is the pinnacle moment on the album, and it's what U2 are when they are at their very best - subtle, beautiful, magical, inspiring - a feeling of brushing up against that "something other". This is what people, deep down, really crave from U2, and what made U2 the biggest band in the world. Those moments when U2 would reach for the unreachable (think of the live performance of 'Bad' during Live Aid; think of the first time you saw the video for 'Where the Streets Have no Name')...this is what truly creates impact on the collective consciousness...and is what creates #1 smash singles. Is it a risk? Of course, but great songs demand great risk.

'Crazy Tonight' on the other hand...a pop gem. A great pop gem, but just another pop gem. There are many of those on the radio. It will be be a hit, but not a smash.

U2 made the right choice.

Brilliant description of the track.

Magnificent is almost awe-inspiring, it transports body and soul, brings tears to your eyes. Only the best can take you to this place. Beatles, Zeppelin, U2 etc.

Get it out there...

Sadly, Kroq in NYC is no longer as of Wednesday. I say "sadly" because 92.3 Krocq was a big supporter of U2 over the years. Now, it will be called 92.3 Now and they will play.....Top 40. :sad:

WTF???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hasn't 92.3 in New York been through enough? First, they lost Howard Stern and with him, all the listeners. Then they took away the music and turned it into an exclusive talk station, 92.3 FREE FM. Then they subjected everyone to David Lee Roth, who couldn't host a talk show for his life. And only after all that did they come to their senses and bring back 92.3 KROQ.

What the hell is the matter with the people that run that station?

WTF???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hasn't 92.3 in New York been through enough? First, they lost Howard Stern and with him, all the listeners.

(...)

What the hell is the matter with the people that run that station?

They asked for it. Wasn't Opie & Anthony fired from KROQ as well? Howard I think talked about it on Monday.

Sorry for offtopic.

? Look at the lyrics, its a religious song. Ever heard of The Magnificat?

yes. i've heard of the magnificat. This song was apparentley inspired by Johann Sebastian Bach’s The Magnificat

however, rather than it being a worship song as you seem very sure about, you might want to look at this recent interview where daniel lanois talks about magnificent:

"(it's) about sacrifice that one makes for one's medium or one's art. I thought it had for a setting New York in the 50s; looking out a small bedroom window. Maybe a Charlie Parker kind of figure. That's what we started with. We placed ourselves in Charlie Parker's body"

Ever heard of Charlie Parker?

it would be interesting to hear your views now you know the actual inspiration/origins of the song.

Give me an interview with Bono about the lyrics, as with a lot of their songs it can be widely applied, but I'd be very surprised if spirituality had nothing to do with their writing.

yes. i've heard of the magnificat. This song was apparentley inspired by Johann Sebastian Bach’s The Magnificat

however, rather than it being a worship song as you seem very sure about, you might want to look at this recent interview where daniel lanois talks about magnificent:

"(it's) about sacrifice that one makes for one's medium or one's art. I thought it had for a setting New York in the 50s; looking out a small bedroom window. Maybe a Charlie Parker kind of figure. That's what we started with. We placed ourselves in Charlie Parker's body"

Ever heard of Charlie Parker?

it would be interesting to hear your views now you know the actual inspiration/origins of the song.

That may be, but Bono often has songs with dual meanings--especially those that can relate to God/woman (Mysterious Ways). The religious interpretation is evident and intended--he even quotes the frequent Psalms phrase (joyful noise). And Bach's Magnificat is biblically based--I'm pretty sure Bono didn't mean that the song Magnificent references Bach in any musical sense. And finally, the chorus is obviously intended to be interpretable in that way--the same as Pride (one man betrayed with a kiss...in the name of love).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom