Magnificent delivered to the radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed with Headache. I'm not sure that Magnificent will be much of a hit...Crazy Tonight seems to be the more radio friendly track. Also agreed about Use Somebody. I knew that song would be a hit within the first 30 seconds of my first listen to the song.

They are playing it in Holland as well this week. Wednesday it was #3 in the Mega Top 5, Yesterday Moment of Surrender was #4 in the Mega Top 5.

This mega top 5 thing is about the 5 biggest movers in the Mega Top 50 charts in Holland. These rankings were based on downloads alone, pretty unique.

Even the DJs didn't seem to understand that 2 album tracks could score so high.

...And yes, they played MOS in its entierety on the radio:drool:

What station? :shocked:

I've been listening to Veronica all week but the bastards aren't worth their claim of being U2's station. I've NOT heard ANY new song on there.
My father told me radio2 did play a couple of songs during the day, while he was at work.

Agreed with Headache. I'm not sure that Magnificent will be much of a hit...Crazy Tonight seems to be the more radio friendly track. Also agreed about Use Somebody. I knew that song would be a hit within the first 30 seconds of my first listen to the song.

we're in the minority here... we shall see who ends up being right.

i hope i'm wrong... for the tour and album to be a real success they're going to need a big single... i just don't think it's magnificent.

I think that Magnificent is the best choice and here is my reasoning. U2 broke it big in the 80's because they were different and unique. I think Magnificent is a song that is perhaps the most uniquely U2 song on the album. By uniquely U@, however, I don;t mean that it is traditional or classic or simple or boring. By unique I mean that it has more mystery to it. IGCIIDGCT is a great song, and a really well-crafted pop hit in its own right, but I think what the masses desire out of U@, and what actually makes them a pop sensation are the tracks that are not so intentionally crafted to be pop, but rather have that unique, mysterious, majestic "it" factor that Magnificent seems to have (for me, and a lot of my friends, at least). So, I really think U2 would be well served to trot that tune out there and let the chips fall where they may.

Magnificent is already being given loads of airplay here in Sydney - a lot more than boots was ever given . . . have heard it on the 3 big fm stations so I'se a happy munchkin . . . and yep, already had a stack of txt msgs telling me how much of a wanker bono is . . . :shrug: . . . i don't care i don't care i don't care :D

I don't think Mag will be a hit...
but I said the exact same thing about VLV... maybe that's a good sign. :D

Magnificent is doing great on Itunes, it's the most downloaded song on the album, i'm thinking the letterman performance had something to do with that, keep an eye on it and I'll Go Crazy after the show this morning :)

Popularity scale on iTunes Canada:

1. Magnificent
2. Get on your boots
3. Moment of Surrender
4. No line on the horizon
5. (Tie) Unknown Caller/Crazy tonight
6. Breathe
7. (Tie) Stand up comedy/White as snow/Cedars of Lebanon
8. Fez - Being Born

Interesting, I think Magnificent is the most obvious choice...

agreed :up:

Magnificent is already being given loads of airplay here in Sydney - a lot more than boots was ever given . . . have heard it on the 3 big fm stations so I'se a happy munchkin . . . and yep, already had a stack of txt msgs telling me how much of a wanker bono is . . . :shrug: . . . i don't care i don't care i don't care :D

My local station has been playing it for 2 weeks. They throw in Boots every now and then, but since the Chicago trip/ contest week before last, that I didn't win, :sad: they've played Magnificent like it was a single already.
(I did win the CD :wink:)

Magnificent is doing great on Itunes, it's the most downloaded song on the album, i'm thinking the letterman performance had something to do with that, keep an eye on it and I'll Go Crazy after the show this morning :)

:up:
The more I hear it the more Magnificent it get's. Crazy tonight sounded really good today, also.

we're in the minority here... we shall see who ends up being right.

i hope i'm wrong... for the tour and album to be a real success they're going to need a big single... i just don't think it's magnificent.

agreed. it will be a song where casual fans hear and say "that's a great song" but it won't be a big hit or anything.

They should have done a remix of BOOTS with Kanye have him rap a verse after the "let me in the sound" part with the same drum beat. call me stupid, but that would have got them A LOT of MTV/Pop Radio airplay and might have put it over the top to make it a big hit. Plus Kanye loves them so he would have done it. just an idea...something different while still making it more popular.

is the version being played the whole song with the long intro or the radio edit?

I have been hearing Magnificent on the radio since the beginning of this week, no BOOTS though. I think our local stations here have moved on.

It is the album version playing here with the long intro.

Bean

hey you could be a PHISH fan and see no singles on radio, but be among the many who show up to sold out concerts.

In the end, we can only take comfort in the fact we still love a band that draws the largest crowd for the simple fact that their music transcends all walks of life in all demographics and all age groups.

What stations? I'm in the IF area, we don't have many stations that play post JT U2 much as far as I am aware.

When I listen to the radio it is primarily set to KRVB - 94.9. I have heard Magnificent every day this week. It probably had to do with the U2 contest for tix to the 'hang out' in LA. My wife mentioned they played it last night when she was out too and referred to it as the "new" U2 single. I have only Boots once on the radio.

They didn't play vertigo much either, but they palyed SYCMIOYO and COBL alot after they were each released.

Bean

Back
Top Bottom