Magnificent & Unknown Caller in "Raw" form

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
If some of you have already seen this, Im sorry for posting it again but it is the 1st time I have come across this video:
YouTube - U2 recording in Morocco (Fez, Unknown Caller, Magnificent)

Magnificent is the opening track and I dont like it as much as the album version(although it is VERY interesting and I do think I would like it).

Now, Unknown Caller...oh this pisses me off. My problem with the album version is the "reboot yourself", "force quite" lines in the chorus. But in the video they use different lines (towards the very end). The lines they sing in this video work for me, the whole "This is God speaking" thing. I know God is supposed to be talking via a phone but the lines: "Restart and forgive yourself, come back to me, shout for joy on every street" really makes me like the song. I know that the majority of people in this forum love this song but I dont because of the chorus. I would have really liked this song had they gone with what they sang in the vid...anyone with me or do I need to go and "reboot" myself??? :dancing:

both sound pretty cool in their raw form.

with that said, both finished songs are among my favorite all time U2 songs. i have no problem with the lyrics in Unknown Caller.

Very cool find - I'd love to see more behind the scenes stuff from their process.

I enjoyed hearing rougher versions of the song, but the two songs are two of my favorites on the album, and I like them the way they are. I know that some people are bugged by the "technology" chant, but it works for me.

i personally think the "tech" chant is real neat. it's different from anything Bono has done.

I love the finished album for sure, but with what we know about this album's creative process, it rings of self-doubt and doubling back to play it safe. Most of the band/producer's favorite tracks stem from improvisation, why can't they just trust themselves to release an album of material like this?

Hand drumming :drool:

On location recording :drool:

:drool::drool:"Restart and forgive yourself, come back to me, shout for joy on every street":drool::drool:

The chorus in the finished Unknown Caller also brings the song way down for me :sad: I love the "sound" of it though :up:

I love the finished album for sure, but with what we know about this album's creative process, it rings of self-doubt and doubling back to play it safe.
I don't think going from demo stages to album stages is the same as playing it safe

as fun as clips as these are I don't think I'd want 20 minutes of it
let alone a full album
unless you get 40+ minutes of pure inspiration
but who can really pull that off

I have to agree with Corbjin that it would have been nice if they had kept some of the Moroccan musicians on the finished product.

Of course, most people probably think Magnificent is OMG PERFECT!!1!!1! and will disagree.

I hope we'll get some future album where they will do something like this
I don't think it would have worked on only a couple of songs

If some of you have already seen this, Im sorry for posting it again but it is the 1st time I have come across this video:
YouTube - U2 recording in Morocco (Fez, Unknown Caller, Magnificent)

Magnificent is the opening track and I dont like it as much as the album version(although it is VERY interesting and I do think I would like it).

Now, Unknown Caller...oh this pisses me off. My problem with the album version is the "reboot yourself", "force quite" lines in the chorus. But in the video they use different lines (towards the very end). The lines they sing in this video work for me, the whole "This is God speaking" thing. I know God is supposed to be talking via a phone but the lines: "Restart and forgive yourself, come back to me, shout for joy on every street" really makes me like the song. I know that the majority of people in this forum love this song but I dont because of the chorus. I would have really liked this song had they gone with what they sang in the vid...anyone with me or do I need to go and "reboot" myself??? :dancing:

Unknown caller is as much about technology as it is about addiction. Technology is the metephore for addiction and death by addiction in the song, hence why the words are so perfect!

I love the finished album for sure, but with what we know about this album's creative process, it rings of self-doubt and doubling back to play it safe. Most of the band/producer's favorite tracks stem from improvisation, why can't they just trust themselves to release an album of material like this?

Hand drumming :drool:

On location recording :drool:

so right........why couldn't they release an album with the feel of this vibe? oh....because its u2.

I know that some people are bugged by the "technology" chant, but it works for me.

i personally think the "tech" chant is real neat. it's different from anything Bono has done.

yeah, these. despite the complaints about the content - which i don't have - the chanted chorus really works well for the song.

:drool::drool:"Restart and forgive yourself, come back to me, shout for joy on every street":drool::drool:

The chorus in the finished Unknown Caller also brings the song way down for me :sad: I love the "sound" of it though :up:

You and I are on the same page! I do understand the whole tech thing but to me the lyrics "restart and forgive yourself, come back to me..." are so personal between the "sinner/addict" and God that its just great. Its God saying, take a moment, get over what you have done and put me back into your life.....WOW....:applaud:

That's a really neat opening they developed, especially with the team member with Larry on percussion. Too bad they decided to junk it and go straight into the current form of Magnificent.

The old game begins again. If something surfaces that shows songs in their early, raw or demo forms, it's automatically "better". Of course, these versions could never be on an album, it's nice to see these versions. Instead of always complaining, we should be glad we can see these things.

Back
Top Bottom