Magnificent & Unknown Caller in "Raw" form

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool, I liked it. That UC version (faster and more raw) sounds good too. And Magnificent sounds good too with that percussion that ressembles a lot from the 1980's pop tracks...

I can't complain, I'm happy with album versions of magnificent and UC, but there's one thing I can't forgive them. How on earth this MASSIVE riff wasn't included on the album, you must check it out, if you haven't heard it yet:

YouTube - U2 - No Line On The Horizon - Fez - U2MIRACLE.COM

It's the most badass thing they did since Mofo. Yeah, NLOTH the title track, GOYB and Breath guitar solo are pretty badass, but not on THIS kind of level. The clip was out way before the album release and back then I was pretty sure it's Stand Up Comedy (you know, that "the nearest we got to Led Zep" talk), but unfortunately it isn't. Hope this riff lands on SoA, but if we're supposed to be getting zooropa kind-of chillout album, then I unfortunately doubt it.

I can't complain, I'm happy with album versions of magnificent and UC, but there's one thing I can't forgive them. How on earth this MASSIVE riff wasn't included on the album, you must check it out, if you haven't heard it yet:

It's the most badass thing they did since Mofo. Yeah, NLOTH the title track, GOYB and Breath guitar solo are pretty badass, but not on THIS kind of level. The clip was out way before the album release and back then I was pretty sure it's Stand Up Comedy (you know, that "the nearest we got to Led Zep" talk), but unfortunately it isn't. Hope this riff lands on SoA, but if we're supposed to be getting zooropa kind-of chillout album, then I unfortunately doubt it.

It sounds way too much like LAPOE, which is already a weak-enough song.

Cool video...Magnificent sounds interesting, but really sloppy...I prefer the album version.

I love Unknown Caller in it's final form--even the tech chants. But hearing that line "restart and forgive yourself..." wow, what an impact. I'm not much of a fan of alternate versions, but I'd love to hear the song with more personal lyrics like in the video.

Love and Peace is one of my favorite songs off of Bomb. I know a lot of people here dont like it but I really LOVE this song. Its exciting to me.........:sexywink:

Before the album was released/leaked this was one of the songs I was most looking forward to hear... I realy hope that it will be on the next album. I wounder if this song has been mentioned in any interview?

Way too much in what way? That both things rock hard? If so, so does Bullet, The Fly, Mofo, NLOTH etc. Both have different chord progression, different sound. Besides, for me LAPOE, along with OOTS and Fast Cars, is one of the highlights on Bomb, especially live.

BTW here's a third video illustrating studio jamming, if someone interested in:

YouTube - U2 - Making of "No Line on the Horizon" (II)

Does anyone know if there's more of these videos? I'm not counting these u2.com ones, where you can't see or hear a f*ck.

Very inspired stuff. I'd have loved to have heard these versions in their finished state. They should have kept the Moroccan musicians and ran with it.

All those mystery riff lovers:

Put it this way. If LAPOE's riff was similarly muddied and included only in a behind the scenes video, then it would probably stir up more interest than this one has. A "massive" riff does not a good U2 song make (by itself). Anyway, if we all listened to all the recording tapes, we'd each likely find 100 pieces that we wish were included in some way, shape, or form.

All those mystery riff lovers:

Put it this way. If LAPOE's riff was similarly muddied and included only in a behind the scenes video, then it would probably stir up more interest than this one has. A "massive" riff does not a good U2 song make (by itself). Anyway, if we all listened to all the recording tapes, we'd each likely find 100 pieces that we wish were included in some way, shape, or form.

very good point, though i will admit that i fell in love with that riff too.

This post just rings of "my opinion is right"...

Don't try and pretend you know what's going on in their process.

Umm... don't attack me for my observations. I'm not saying everything I think is fact, just what I see. Sheesh.

This post just rings of "my opinion is right"...

Don't try and pretend you know what's going on in their process.

i think the last 20 posts of yours that i've read, you've been either arguing with or insulting someone. just an observation.

I like it, but this sounds a lot like Acrobat.

if this was the finished unknown caller lyric it would be my favorite U2 song of all time.

Great videos. Always neat to see the songwriting process that goes into these songs. The Magnficent clip sounded cool, but I don't know if I'd go on the record as saying that's automatically better than the album version (how could that be the case without any lyrics, you know?). Would be cool to hear an alternate mix of that though, even if it was an instrumental of some sort. That had more of a Moroccan vibe than any of the other stuff they came up with in the end, imo.

I would love to hear Magnificent done Moroccan style, although I do think the version on the album is stellar.

Unknown Caller....i'm GLAD they went technological with it. Those chants are so in your face and cold, lacking emotion, like computer voices....I LOVE IT! It's freaky and touching all at the same time! I think if they kept with the "forgive yourself..come back to me" lines, it would've gotten a bit too Christian Rock for my tastes. And it's kinda pretensious having Bono and the gang sing from the point of view of God. I think singing from the point of view of God BUT THRU A CELL PHONE TRANSLATED IN TECHNO SPEAK...gives it that fresh bizaare twist and edge much needed to pull off such a concept.

^ :up: Unknown Caller has probably grown on me more than any other on the album so far. The way it is on the album is perfect.

^ :up: Unknown Caller has probably grown on me more than any other on the album so far. The way it is on the album is perfect.

agreed. i was slightly disappointed in UC at first. this was mostly due to the production. i loved the beach clip, but unfortunately, i came up with my own conclusion of what it would sound like. now that i've wiped those expectations out of my head, i love the way the song turned out.

To me these versions sound like your actually "there" and can feel the atmosphere with hand played electro..... so i really hope they get some official demo versions out there, i have a feeling since they did that with bomb.....

Wonder if the Magnificent (Moroccan Version) will end up on iTunes one day as part of a "The MORE Complete U2" package. I remember getting the Miracle Drug and SYCMIOYO original mixes and quite liking them.

I don't suppose the Magnificent we heard in the video was ever properly recorded, but there's bound to be an alternate mix of it sitting around somewhere...perhaps on Eno's U2 vault on his laptop!! :drool:

To me these versions sound like your actually "there" and can feel the atmosphere with hand played electro..... so i really hope they get some official demo versions out there, i have a feeling since they did that with bomb.....

while i'd love to hear the original versions, i think it may be a mistake to release them. actually, i think releasing Xanax And Wine, Native Son, and the much better version of ABOY right when the album came out doomed HTDAAB from the start. most of Interference immediately started questioning whether the album would have been better had they released it in Spring 2004 with the original versions.

i guess if they want to release some demos years from now, i'd be fine with it.

Yeah, the chorus for the album version of Unkown Caller is really cheesy.

'Cheesy' is such an unimaginative, lazy word to use to criticise music. Care to express what you don't like about the chorus in more original, descriptive terms?

Back
Top Bottom