LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about the rumored tour of Australia/New Zealand in November/December. Its possible. In terms of a general worldwide tour, I think that will have to wait until at least 2022. I don't think there will be a retro Achtung Baby/ZOO TV tour. I think Joshua Tree 2017 tour was a one off. In fact, I think a 40th anniversary tour for the Unforgettable Fire would be more likely, just because it would be easier to do, be in arenas, plus it would take place in a gap between the most likely album/tour cycles. A new album will probably be released in early 2022 with a new global tour. I suppose the album will be either the "Songs Of Ascent" thing, Rick Rubin sessions thing, or something new and different from those other two projects.
I don't think they're going a Zoo\Achtung tour either, but there's not a chance of them ever doing a UF tour.

I don't think they're going a Zoo\Achtung tour either, but there's not a chance of them ever doing a UF tour.

I think it would be easier for them to do a UF from a cost and logistics standpoint. In arenas, basic staging. Do you think it would be more difficult to play all the songs live? A live version of Elvis Presley and America would be interesting. I suppose the Unforgettable Fire does not have the same appeal that Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby do. But a 40th UF tour might fit their hypothetical schedule better. I don't think they would do either, but I think a big factor in the Joshua Tree 2017 tour was timing and where they were with their schedule at the time.

An anniversary tour for an album that has an instrumental and a closer where the lyrics were improvised? And an opener that was unceremoniously dropped from the JT tour?

Not gonna happen, ever.

Hell, Bono can’t even remember some lyrics that he wrote down on paper.

An anniversary tour for an album that has an instrumental and a closer where the lyrics were improvised? And an opener that was unceremoniously dropped from the JT tour?

Not gonna happen, ever.

Hell, Bono can’t even remember some lyrics that he wrote down on paper.

Hey, what's wrong with instrumentals and improvised lyrics? I want to hear a 10 minute version of 4th of July!

UF never has and never will be played in full because this is a band that needs to rehearse everything for like 5 straight years just to playing once, so the only albums that will ever be considered for a full album treatment are JT and Achtung Baby, because they are the most iconic albums the band ever released.

U2 concerts always feature lots of instrumentals. Things to Make and Do is still played nightly like in 1980 & 1981 right?

:applaud:

UF never has and never will be played in full because this is a band that needs to rehearse everything for like 5 straight years just to playing once, so the only albums that will ever be considered for a full album treatment are JT and Achtung Baby, because they are the most iconic albums the band ever released.

I think a ATYCLB anniversary tour is more likely than UF, and perhaps a third possibility if they got desperate enough.

But let's hope not.

:applaud:

I think a ATYCLB anniversary tour is more likely than UF, and perhaps a third possibility if they got desperate enough.

But let's hope not.
That would be third on my list as well, since it was an iconic rebirth moment for the band even if many don't want to admit it... but I would highly doubt they'll ever do a Leave Behind/Elevation anniversary tour.

After all, they've been celebrating All That You Can't Leave Behind on every tour since 2001... so what's the point?

U2's crowning achievements in the collective wisdom are the release of The Joshua Tree and the Zoo TV Tour. those are the only possible things they'd ever commemorate with an anniversary tour.

i could see a ZooTV 2.0 as a ramp up to a new release.

If U2 did a ZooTV 2 they would absolutely be required to do BTBS-RTSS-Streets in the same exact arrangement.

The band did it for Joshua Tree, they could do it for Unforgettable Fire. The band had not played nearly half of Joshua Tree in a long time and had never played Red Hill Mining Town Live. But they did. So its not a rehearsal issue. I do understand the album not being as Iconic as Achtung Baby, but it would be an easier album/tour to do again logistically. But again, the Joshua Tree tour of 2017 was unlikely and originally was going to be just a few shows. It was a one off that happened because the timing for everything was just right. But if you had asked me a year earlier if there was any chance they would do that, I would have said no way.

U2's crowning achievements in the collective wisdom are the release of The Joshua Tree and the Zoo TV Tour. those are the only possible things they'd ever commemorate with an anniversary tour.

i could see a ZooTV 2.0 as a ramp up to a new release.

I think they found with Joshua Tree Tour 2017 and then the Experience And Innocence tour2018, that instead of ramping up demand for the new tour, it actually deflates it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom