LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
80-90 was a masterpiece collection, even though Gloria should have been on disc 1. That disc 2 is amazing as well!

By comparison, 90-00 is an absolute disaster. BD and Stuck were thrown in there just to help sell it.

What would a best of 2000-2020 consist of? My guess:

1. BD
2. Stuck
3. Elevation
4. Walk on
5. Vertigo
6. SYCMIOYO
7. COBL
8. Maybe ABOY
9. GOYB
10. Magnificent
11. Crazy tonight
12. OL
13. Invisible
14. EBW
15. Miracle
16. Best Thing
17. GOOYOW
18. LIBTAIIW

I know BD and Stuck were in 90-00, but seriously, they’re not gonna miss a chance to put those songs on a potential 00-20. BD is one of their biggest hits, it’s going on there.

Boots? are you kidding?

What would a best of 2000-2020 consist of? My guess:

1. BD
2. Stuck
3. Elevation
4. Walk on
5. Vertigo
6. SYCMIOYO
7. COBL
8. Maybe ABOY
9. GOYB
10. Magnificent
11. Crazy tonight
12. OL
13. Invisible
14. EBW
15. Miracle
16. Best Thing
17. GOOYOW
18. LIBTAIIW

These are all the singles, so yeah it makes sense. Just add SFS, and maybe OriginalSpecies if there's room

Boots? are you kidding?

Yeah, if they're leaving The Fly off 1990-2000, I doubt they include Boots on a hypothetical new collection.

While it's long and not a single, I feel like they would be likely to put Moment of Surrender on there, which they at one point felt pretty strongly about. Magnificent is likely, and since they didn't play Crazy Tonight in its album version on that tour, I don't know what they'd do there. Hopefully nothing as it's crap.

I know BD and Stuck were in 90-00, but seriously, they’re not gonna miss a chance to put those songs on a potential 00-20. BD is one of their biggest hits, it’s going on there.

Well, I wouldn't call it an open and shut case. Keep in mind that Vertigo is still a monster hit, and they'd also include ABOY and Sometimes, and probably another Bomb track, likely COBL.

So even without ATYCLB material, you could still have:

1. Vertigo
2. Sometimes
3. ABOY
4. COBL
5. Magnificent
6. MOS
7. Boots/Breathe
8. Ordinary Love
9. EBW
10. SFS
11. Cedarwood
12. Best Thing
13. Get Out :|
14. American Soul
15. Blackout
16. New Song and/or Mercy*

*I think this would be a pretty perfect opportunity to release the original Mercy, as it's from the appropriate period.

Ax and Headache's fight abandoned due to lack of interest after U2 announce "Best of 2000-2020 Tour"

There's only two compilation sets this bands needs to even consider

A) a Springsteen Tracks style set of unreleased songs and demos from across their career

B) a career spanning live compilation, encompassing the best performances from pre-Boy (toddler?) all the way through e/i

Anything else is horse shit.

A) a Springsteen Tracks style set of unreleased songs and demos from across their career

B) a career spanning live compilation, encompassing the best performances from pre-Boy (toddler?) all the way through e/i

If they do (A) which they should, even if it's not many unknown tracks, but earlier versions before they were beaten into dust, it may be revelatory, if not change how we view their entire career.

Yes please!!!

(A) would be a joke since they aren't prolific enough to have enough unreleased material to support such a compilation. I reckon the bonus tracks that went on the album remasters were likely all they had.

(B) would work but I'd prefer it if they released entire concerts, ala Springsteen.

(A) would be a joke since they aren't prolific enough to have enough unreleased material to support such a compilation. I reckon the bonus tracks that went on the album remasters were likely all they had.

(B) would work but I'd prefer it if they released entire concerts, ala Springsteen.
A) they have oodles of unreleased material and songs in various forms of development from just from the past 20 years

B) that would be crazy boring and dumb, since they don't rotate their setlists.

(A) don't make me laugh. What are you thinking of? Salome and Blow Your House Down 20x over in slightly different forms? I seriously doubt there's a lot of unreleased stuff that is worthy of release. The comparison was Springsteen's Tracks compilation which is over 4 hours long. They'd struggle to do a single CD because as I suggested earlier, the bonus material on the album remasters used up a bunch of stuff and I can't see there being much else left.

(B) releasing full concerts is just something nice for their remaining fans. I'm not talking multiple shows from each tour ... just something. Would be an ideal thing to do over the next couple of years where they are not likely to be releasing much else.

Last edited:
What? There's absolutely heaps of unreleased stuff lying around, just insofar as what has already leaked. You can make a whole album of pre-Boy and Boy era stuff, for one thing.

Sure and the amount of unreleased stuff drops off drastically once you move into the 90's and beyond to the point where I'd argue there's very little over the last 10 years.

So it'd be virtually an 80's only compilation which is interesting but I could never see them doing that.

Sure and the amount of unreleased stuff drops off drastically once you move into the 90's and beyond to the point where I'd argue there's very little over the last 10 years.

So it'd be virtually an 80's only compilation which is interesting but I could never see them doing that.

We know there are multiple versions of NLOTH , SOI, SOE stuff for starters, Rick Rubin sessions, Red One sessions, and I am NOT an expert.

I'm sure others here know of more detail on this, but that's a VERY intriguing start!

90's............early POP sessions, plenty of Achtung variations..........again, I'm sure others know more detail

Unreleased material is not the same as variations of already released songs.

You can create an infinite number of variations by twiddling a few knobs in the studio.

Again the reference point was Tracks, which mostly contains genuinely unreleased songs. 4 hours worth. Zero chance that U2 have this in the vaults.

You can create an infinite number of variations by twiddling a few knobs in the studio.

Again the reference point was Tracks, which mostly contains genuinely unreleased songs. 4 hours worth. Zero chance that U2 have this in the vaults.

Agreed, nowhere near as prolific with unreleased SONGS as Bruce, but I think the point is that the variations that U2 have are different enough, and the history of them overcooking and overthinking extensive enough, that it could really be interesting to hear these earlier incarnations of albums or individual tracks before all the rough edges were shined off.

It may be nothing, or it may be quite something

Agree it would be interesting. But U2 being U2 probably feel they have released the best variation already and all the other versions are crap.

Also you'd end up with songs like 13 that make the original sound totally horrible.

Last edited:
Didn't they say they had about 40-50 songs they started with SOI? I'm not saying they are complete songs, but I would imagine there would be a chunk that are. Even if they had 5 or 10 from each album timeframe, it would be a decent amount.

There must be a lot of unreleased songs. Once they're calling it quits they will see the light of day for sure.

The first 4 songs on Tracks are literally just demo versions of already released songs.

I also said "tracks like.". I don't need it to be an exact replica there Literal Larry.

But they absolutely have tons of alternative takes and unreleased material. They've barely released and b sides over the past few albums. Do you think they only recorded 10-12 songs per session over the 3-4 years of recording?

Springsteen like depth? Of course not. Very few are as prolific as he is. He farts songs in his sleep. But there's a ton of unreleased, unfinished and alternate take songs out there just in the post Pop period alone. Definitely enough to make a multi disc set.

Just off the top of my head

- return of the stingray guitar
- Glastonbury
- North Star
- U2 version of boy falls from the sky
- Treason
- Bulldozer
- All of what they recorded for the scrapped Songs of Ascent (post No Line) album, be it what they didn't release or songs in their original form
- the dance songs with redone that we never saw
- the dangemouse produced songs of Innocence
- the Rick Rubin sessions
- the Moroccan sounds that were abandoned on No Line

Most of that is from the last 15 years and is only what I could pull from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom