LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:45 AM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Some improvements could've been made to SOI and SOE, but honestly, I think they're two of U2's best albums. Having a strict "theme" to the album seems to have focused Bono's lyrics and added extra weight to many of the songs.

So I'm certainly a lot more optimistic about the next record's quality than I was following No Line when I was wondering if U2 had lost the plot a bit, though it's just that U2 is now hamstringing itself with everything else about their albums. The promotional rollout, the iTunes release, the uninspired choices for singles....for a band so worried about "not sounding like U2," they sure pick the safest possible examples of the U2 sound for the singles market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedVT View Post
This.
And I can't see how SOE was affected by the election in the first place. I think they just used that as an excuse because the songs weren't good enough yet and they'd blown past their deadline.
I'm guessing the real reason was Bono's health scare, which obviously the band didn't want to make public at the time.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:53 AM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopFly View Post
Some improvements could've been made to SOI and SOE, but honestly, I think they're two of U2's best albums. Having a strict "theme" to the album seems to have focused Bono's lyrics and added extra weight to many of the songs.

So I'm certainly a lot more optimistic about the next record's quality than I was following No Line when I was wondering if U2 had lost the plot a bit, though it's just that U2 is now hamstringing itself with everything else about their albums. The promotional rollout, the iTunes release, the uninspired choices for singles....for a band so worried about "not sounding like U2," they sure pick the safest possible examples of the U2 sound for the singles market.

I'm guessing the real reason was Bono's health scare, which obviously the band didn't want to make public at the time.
Quite possibly, but this health scare supposedly happened between Christmas and New Year, and less than 2 weeks later they announced the Joshua Tree tour! They wouldn't have announced it unless whatever Bono's problem was had been dealt with and Bono given the all clear VERY quickly.
Anyways I'm in the camp that expects zero new music for a couple of years.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedVT View Post
Quite possibly, but this health scare supposedly happened between Christmas and New Year, and less than 2 weeks later they announced the Joshua Tree tour! They wouldn't have announced it unless whatever Bono's problem was had been dealt with and Bono given the all clear VERY quickly.
Anyways I'm in the camp that expects zero new music for a couple of years.

Where did we hear this timeline?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
He hasn’t had a memorable riff since vertigo.
Magnificent: Hold my beer.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Truth be told, I think the single choices were more or less the right ones for each album. A little bit too reliant on I–V–vi–IV or G-D-A-Bm chord progressions, but that’s not too different from what they’ve done in the past either (Streets, WOWY, Beautiful Day, Magnificent… same thing). Half the songs on SOI used them, but it was an album I was pretty happy with anyway, just on the song quality alone.

The Best Thing did somewhat respectfully on radio and probably was the best chance to get airplay anyway. I think I read somewhere that it usually takes a listener an average of seven seconds to determine whether they want to keep listening to a song or change the channel. Overall, I think there’s more going on hook-wise there than any other song on the album, whatever the lyrical quality or anything.

As for the other things that go into promo and releasing… it’s always fun to Monday Morning Quarterback that to an extent. But at this point, it’s hard for me to get too invested in what my favorite bands do or don’t. We’d have been doing that back in the “glory days” too if we had the Internet in the 80s or 90s… but whatever the case, I’ll either like the songs or I won’t and that’s really the end game in any case.

My own experience with writing songs in recent years kind of makes me look at it with a new perspective too. There’s just way too many decisions that go into writing something to really say “You have to do it this way, you have to avoid this… just do it in this styling.” Most contemporary acts, however different, probably latch onto songwriting in a similar way… you get an idea, you fine-tune in the instrument you're playing or the idea/lyric that comes in your head, and you keep at it until you have a finished product. Then when you have that finished product and sit on it for awhile, you sometimes come back to it and think “Hey, this isn’t that good” or “this could be better.” Then you fine-tune some more… and probably get accused of overproducing or trying to tune your music to radio-friendly material by people who aren’t even in the room with you! But 99.9% of the time, you're not ever happy with what you come up with anyway. You always think it comes up a tad short or could be better. Such is the life of a guy or girl who creates things a lot of the time.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Where did we hear this timeline?
Bono mentioned Christmas 2016 at some point (liner notes, maybe...?).
Old 07-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

It seems like with NLOTH, Bono didn’t really have anything to say. He was making up these characters for some of the songs that didn’t really go anywhere, and the subject matter of the album is all over the place. Looking back, it looks like they just released NLOTH because it had been a while and not because they were happy with it. If the 360 Tour hadn’t been such a huge success, that whole era would have been PopMart II. I still blame Spider-Man.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Bono mentioned Christmas 2016 at some point (liner notes, maybe...?).
He just says winter in the liner notes. Christmas seems awfully close to the announcement of JT and doesn't seem to fit the narrative we had in here at the time.

But who knows
Old 07-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Magnificent is magnificently forgettable.

There. That's a better use of the word magnificent than the dopey song could ever come up with.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post

Magnificent has a beautiful riff. Another memorable one is GOYB....song isn’t that good but it is a pretty cool riff.

I would also say Edge showed up on Crazy Tonight. The song suffers from some questionable lyrics and of course the voice cracks(why were they not corrected in production????) but the guitar is solid.

SOI and SOE....”classic U2 Edge” is almost nowhere to be found.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
He hasn’t had a memorable riff since vertigo.

Lights of Home has a pretty cool riff, give Edge credit where credit is due!

Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
I would also say Edge showed up on Crazy Tonight. The song suffers from some questionable lyrics and of course the voice cracks(why were they not corrected in production????) but the guitar is solid.
The guitar solo is embarrassingly bad.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Magnificent is magnificently forgettable.

There. That's a better use of the word magnificent than the dopey song could ever come up with.
Eh... I still like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
SOI and SOE....”classic U2 Edge” is almost nowhere to be found.
More so on SOE, imo. Outside of exceptions like Red Flag Day, he's not really driving the songs along there like he was for a lot of SOI, memorably riff or not.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #59
The Male

Local Time: 05:42 AM
SOE replaced SOI as my least favorite U2 album, so my expectations are in the cellar at this point. U2 showed some renewed creative spark with NLOTH, but there has only been about an EP's worth of really great material since, most of it on SOI.

Bono's eroding voice and blunt-force lyricism are significant issues, but Edge's complete lack of creativity is the biggest one. He hit what I perceive to be rock bottom on SOE. It hasn't been that long since he's had some highlight reel moments; he made some great textures on NLOTH, MOS, Fez, SLABT and The Troubles, but any copycat on YouTube could have brought what he did to the table on SOE, and that's sad.

I really feel that hanging out with Jimmy Page and Jack White made Edge insecure about the textural aspect of his sound. He's increasingly riff-oriented these days, which does a disservice to the multiple dimensions of his playing that come with experimentation. Generic riffs like Stand Up Comedy started creeping in around the same time as It Might Get Loud, which is a pretty big coincidence. Fuck, I want the old, inventive Edge back.

Now.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

NLOTH
Magnificent
MOS
Unkown Caller
Fez
Every Breaking Wave -Outake version
Sleep Like A Baby
Troubles
Landlady
Little Things
Blackout

All have some solid qualities of that atmospheric/texture Edge Sound. Its not equal to his 90's stuff but its pretty good. But based on interviews with him/the band they just don't go for that type of sound anymore. Pretty sad because the world could use a guitar hero.

And who can forget Song For Someone & Get Out of Your Own Way......

Closed Thread