LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As crazy as it may sound, the only chance I see they have at another hit is releasing a true slow burner pop ballad with Bono front and center and edge with a freaking guitar solo as a lead single. “Best thing”, “Miracle”, and “Boots” were all lead singles for the last three albums. Think about that.

Last edited:
As crazy as it may sound, the only chance I see they have at another hit is releasing a true slow burner pop ballad with Bono front and center and edge with a freaking guitar solo as a lead single. “Best thing”, “Miracle”, and “Boots” were all lead singles for the last three albums. Think about that.

The Little Things could have been that, and should have been pushed properly.

it actually really irritates and disappoints me how they seem to not notice or care that little things is easily the best song they've made in at least 20 years, and didn't play it on the album tour or promote it at all. it's the only song they've made since htdaab that had a real shot of being another mainstream u2 classic, in my opinion, and it's like they decided it was a dud because they played it a handful of times in front of a crowd that didn't know it, and since they didn't go wild like they do for the other songs fuck it.

They only played Red Flag Day a handful of times. Same with The Troubles. Reach Around was never played live. Mercy also could have become a live classic had they kept it on the album and played it in its original form.

Are you seeing a pattern here?

Last edited:
They only played Red Flag Day a handful of times. Same with The Troubles. Reach Around was never played live. Mercy also could have become a live classic had they kept it on the album and played it in its original form.

tenor.gif

it actually really irritates and disappoints me how they seem to not notice or care that little things is easily the best song they've made in at least 20 years, and didn't play it on the album tour or promote it at all. it's the only song they've made since htdaab that had a real shot of being another mainstream u2 classic, in my opinion, and it's like they decided it was a dud because they played it a handful of times in front of a crowd that didn't know it, and since they didn't go wild like they do for the other songs fuck it.
Three things drive me absolute crazy about the promotion of Songs of Experience.

1. Completely ignoring Little Things. It's one of the best things they've done in a long time, it captures that U2 magic while not sounding derivative. It has one of Bono's most mature, adult lyrics. It's literally a song of experience. And to your point, it appears as if they out it aside because it didn't get a good reaction on JT30 - which was completely their fault because THEY CLOSED WITH IT! You know where they should have put it? Before Streets.

2. American Soul. The fuck man. I don't even have as much of a problem with the song or the lyrics as some, but it's a terrible single choice - and playing it on the big late night shows and pushing it as a video was just playing into the hands of U2 critics. Which leads to 3...

3. The Blackout's false start. What in the fucking hell was the point of that? The bad Facebook rip actually got some play on rock radio. And them... nothing? No proper release? I mean shit, if you were going to pick a political tinged song to use as the NCAA theme in March, this song made a shit ton more sense than American Soul - as it's less obvious in it's lyric that it's definitely political, and the chorus actually gets you jumping around. But no - a corny song about refugees was chosen because omg it's got Kendrick! The kids love Kendrick! Fuck outta here.

All so true.

What could/should have been.

SOI - Every Breaking wave lead single with The Troubles as a follow up - and if I really had my way The Crystal Ballroom as a third single as it was criminally left off the album.
Miracle leading off was a total disaster of a decision. (yes and Apple, but musically speaking)

SOE - Little Things to lead off with a follow up of Red Flag Day
Both have a "classic U2" foundation, with Little Things showing lots of heart of maturity.
The fact that American Soul and Get Out were the ones pushed after Best Thing is beyond mind boggling and totally killed any real representation of that album.

I also second Headache's #3 of the Blackout thing. What the hell was that. Tease something for two days and then completely ignore it... dear god. Could have had a real chance on rock radio.

Last edited:
If U2 made the Joshua Tree today, they would’ve dropped Streets after 10 shows, not released WOWY at all, and pushed Exit as the first single.

If U2 made The Joshua Tree today, With or Without You would be the lead single and Streets would be played at every live show on the tour.

Even the 2010 Mercy had some chance of being a hit at the time I think. See also wasting The Boy Falls from the Sky on Spiderman - would have made a fine lead single from NLOTH.

If U2 made The Joshua Tree today, With or Without You would be the lead single and Streets would be played at every live show on the tour.

The fact that American Soul and Get Out were the ones pushed after Best Thing is beyond mind boggling and totally killed any real representation of that album.

They were hoping to ride the wave of all the strong anti-Trump sentiment going on in America everywhere by releasing the two songs that are most blatantly about the 2016 election. Or, I should say, the two worst of the three songs most blatantly about the election, with Blackout being the best of the three.

Sometimes it seems like that if there's a bad decision to be made about singles, U2 will make it, like a drunk driver trying to avoid hitting a pole, but just hitting it even harder.

Last edited:
Not sure why everybody thinks Little Things would've done so well when the first half of the song is boring as hell and by that point any casual radio/Spotify listener has long since moved on.

I think the first phase here is for everyone to accept the fact that there’s nothing U2 can do at this point to have a hit single in today’s current landscape. The second phase is for U2 to realize this.

I think the first phase here is for everyone to accept the fact that there’s nothing U2 can do at this point to have a hit single in today’s current landscape. The second phase is for U2 to realize this.

I bet U2 could have a hit if they uploaded their next album on everyone’s Spotify queue

obviously little things wouldn't have been a number one song, or probably anywhere even close, but it certainly could have done much better than anything else they've released in the past decade.

axver's new year's resolution for 2019 is to break stephen a. smith's world record for hot takes.

I don't think finding a late career U2 song a bit boring for half its length really counts as a hot take.

Frankly it's a compliment.

They should have released The Showman because it’s a little more better. Seriously, it’s a departure for U2 and would have made people tak some notice. It’s the sound of a band just having fun.

Idea for a thread: conceive what U2 must do to have a song break the top 40
Ahhhh top 40 isn't inconceivable. Unlikely? Sure, but a strong appearance on adult charts could maybe get into the 30s. A song that could crossover to the country charts could also do very well in the US.

Top 10? There's only two ways - 1) some sort of gimmick like when Killing In The Name Of broke into the top 10 in the UK over Christmas a few years ago, it 2) the death of a band member.

U2 release a Crazy Frog / Bob the Builder / Mambo No. 5 medley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom