LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood the animosity towards All That You Can't Leave Behind. It's not as heavy on the subject matters as previous albums, but it's enduring sense of optimism reigns supreme and I feel it's a very worthy album in the U2 canon. In fact, if they called it a day after that one, it would mark as a fitting end in my opinion. There's an overall feeling of peace and serenity (barring Elevation...) I get from it more than any other U2 without anything getting melodramatic of gimmicky ala the desperate attempts to appeal to younger listeners on the recent albums.

I'm not saying anything new here, but it lacks punch. And the band veered away from its usual method, with more time spent on writing and less on recording. So it's missing an adventurousness and the actual sounds and instrumentation aren't very interesting to me.

I won't deny that it's cohesive (although the original track order makes a lot more sense than the one they went with) and has less glaring flaws than the last three LPs, but in terms of overall content, the only album of theirs I'd put below it is October.

I've never understood the animosity towards All That You Can't Leave Behind. It's not as heavy on the subject matters as previous albums, but it's enduring sense of optimism reigns supreme and I feel it's a very worthy album in the U2 canon. In fact, if they called it a day after that one, it would mark as a fitting end in my opinion. There's an overall feeling of peace and serenity (barring Elevation...) I get from it more than any other U2 without anything getting melodramatic of gimmicky ala the desperate attempts to appeal to younger listeners on the recent albums.

I do wonder if the emergence of message boards around the end of the century sort of gave those impressions a little more "umph", so to speak. Naturally, an album that came out around that time would get criticized for somehow not living up to the halcyon days of the 90s/80s or whenever a band started up. All of a sudden, U2 fans were paying attention to the interviews and "relevancy" remarks and thought that perhaps compromised the music, even though we never really dealt with those questions before.

I wasn't a "real" fan until 2001 or so, but All That You Can't Leave Behind also happened to be a big part of that for me. So I never went into it thinking it had to sound this way or had preferences as to this and that. And I never really judged it by those qualities or thought about it until I discovered places like these. But I still try to just judge on the music alone and whatever's put out there.

If places like these had taken off ten years beforehand, I wouldn't doubt that Achtung would have had similar criticisms. The same extent? Who knows... but there's always people that like or dislike whatever comes out now or later from a band. And some happen to be vocal in these parts.

But even then, I've noticed that a lot of other bands have discussions where there was some inevitable drop-off in quality since the year 2000. I've been looking over at the Smashing Pumpkins message board a little lately since they had a new album coming out with original members, and there's also discussion about how they don't make albums like they used to. Or how the new stuff is horrible, guitar parts are too "dad rock" or "safe", and songs are somehow compromised for popularity. Sound familiar??

Here's one post regarding their album that came out yesterday (unedited, so the spelling and grammar mistakes are the OP's)

No matter who plays what it's really realy sad that billy hasnt written one good album in the last 18 years.

It is no wonder that they arent relevant in todays musimusiA shame what they have become

Bubblegum lyrics noone can understand.metallic cheap guitar noodling. Cheap synths.etc etc.

As we can see with silvery they still can write catchy tunes but there a are always such sh*tty songs on the last albums that they destroy my album listening experience.

Guess bolly just chooses the wrong songs.

Replace references for Billy Corgan with "Bono" or "Edge", along with the album titles and such, and that's easily a comment you could read on here!

That said, not liking ATYCLB or recent stuff isn't a bad thing. Nor is the criticism, as long as it's not really a point where people get too riled up over something as simple as songs being released. Paraphrasing something Liz Phair once said, but music is just music... it's not a cure for cancer or anything like that. If you like it, there's inevitably people that like it too. If you don't, then set it aside and move on to something you do like better.

Last edited:
Well sure... but it's like "omg Bono is dead he needs 30 hours of physical therapy just to lip sync to Love is all we have left and couldn't go past 2.5 hours for a show or he will spontaneously combust... But dude gets on a plane immediately following Berlin to fly 10 hours to LA for a benefit gig.

Exactly. After all the doomsday articles about how Bono can barely function, I was thinking that he would go home, have a glass of warm milk, and then take a nap.

All That You Can't Leave Behind has become my favourite U2 album. It's their most emotional for me. Not every theme is entirely optimistic, but every theme is realistic.

Flower Child should have replaced Wild Honey though. ;)

Atyclb is the record that got me into u2 so it has a special place in my heart.

It was such a huge record for u2. I would actually say it was arguably as big a record for them as achtung baby. By that I mean it was a reinvention for them that pulled in a lot and I mean a lot of younger listeners. I remember it being a massive record at school amongst me and my friends. U2 after pop made themselves huge again. I can remember the cassette tape getting passed around loads of kids and being copied.

It’s a huge record for them.

All That You Can't Leave Behind has become my favourite U2 album. It's their most emotional for me. Not every theme is entirely optimistic, but every theme is realistic.

Flower Child should have replaced Wild Honey though. ;)

I always thought Summer Rain should replace it.

While I said above this is one of my least fav U2 albums, there aren't actually any songs I dislike or would want to switch out. There's just not enough of them that blow me away.

Wild Honey has a nice classic 60s vibe that seemed to be something new for them.

To me having a negative feeling about Grace would be like disliking MLK or The Ocean

Well I hate the Grace haters more than Ax likes the New Zealand cricket team

I've heard there's also this representative democracy/federal republic spanning approximately 3,800,000 square miles in the middle of the northern continent of the Western Hemisphere that is also, in fact, an idea.

Last edited:
ATYCLB...

That is a tough album. It has some interesting pieces, and I agree that there is a cohesion and atmosphere to it that U2 never fully recaptured after that.

Beautiful Day is a classic U2 song. Never one of my faves, but glad that it exists in the public arena. I'll throw Elevation in here too. I like it. Been a great live song for them, can't complain too much there.

Walk On was sort of the beginning of the U2 being U2, trying to be very U2ey and it just is so boring. See also Invisible, Get Out of Your Own Way... Might also include Crumbs and Miracle Drug.. just blah, blandness.

Never loved Stuck, but maybe appreciate it a bit more now than i used to.

Love and Peace. Some cool parts to it, but not a great song

Kite - Top 5 U2 songs for me. Just incredible

In a little while. eh. like that its a little different. but don't go looking for it.
And i can say the exact same for Wild Honey.

Peace on Earth. Ugh. nope.

When I look at the World - Always liked this one a lot. pleasant surprise on the back end.

New York. I want to like it more. it is interesting and winding and blistering in some parts, and just different and kinda cool. But also just not quite right. Solid song though

and..... GRACE --- :doh: :| :down:

I've never understood the animosity towards All That You Can't Leave Behind.

While No Line is a mess

ATYCLB is a top 3 U2 album for me. Love it. Tracks 1-7 roll along like a collection of classics. The back end of the album is very good and fitting as well.

I also really like NLOTH, though not as much. I think it is the best produced U2 album to date.

And who out there couldn't like Breathe?

I've heard there's also this representative democracy/federal republic spanning approximately 3,800,000 square miles in the middle of the northern continent of the Western Hemisphere that is also, in fact, an idea.

Unlike Australia, which is an idea but not an actual place, despite what some hoaxsters here would have us believe.

ATYCLB is special for me in that it was my first U2 album. I haven't listened to it often lately, but there are tracks on it I do like.

I quite like New York, sure, the lyrics are not great, but musically it's got a lot going for it. Kite is very emotional, nice melody, the "I'm a man, not a child" lyric is quite sincere and moving. I like In a Little While and Wild Honey even (as did Brian Eno apparently).

I didn't see them on it, but the Elevation Tour was pretty well liked from what i hear (and have seen). Great live performances and they seemed more energized than ever, which I guess is what they needed after Pop (which is a top 3 U2 album for me).

I'd like to see them work with someone new. I'm not against an Eno/Lanois collaboration, but I think they have to really step up and let them know about no compromising and just put the music out there.

I think Nigel Godrich could be interesting (he did produce the Walk On single). Maybe bring back Flood, Trent Reznor, James Murphy or Kevin Parker perhaps? I'm just throwing out names here. I'd like someone you'd least expect or really someone who could push them in new and fresh directions.

Danger Mouse should've been that guy and he was mostly, though they had to constrain him and brought in Tedder and Epworth (who can do a good job sometimes, i.e. the last Horrors album). I think Andy Barlow brought some interesting sounds out of them, so wouldn't mind him returning.

Their touring decisions may also affect it as they love playing live. So if they resign with Live Nation, I expect more blandness. If not, I think something interesting could be brewing. However given what has happened with Bono (and Larry), I think they may want to slow it down. So smaller tours may be ideal (or residences). We will have to see what happens, but perhaps after 17 years, they may want to try something a little different (we can only hope).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom