LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started to like Invisible - to some extent - after having seen it live. The illuminating "I am here" part is quite nice ... the synth intro as well ..

I love invisible. Best song of the era for mine, and not coincidentally, it is the one they obviously finished and released, and didn't fuck around with it for another 12 months

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Does anyone know how much influence Ryan Tedder has had on SoE? It seems kind of minimal at this point - there was that one interview a few months ago (the ATYCLB comparison one posted a few pages back), and to me it sounded like he'd heard the album, rather than worked on it (or at most, had only worked on it a little). That's about it.

Whereas we know Jolyon Thomas has been working with them from the I+E tour, right up to the last photo we got of them working in the studio.

I dunno. They're secretive about it and i'm sure there's a lot we don't know - but it's possible SoE hasn't gone through that phase the last couple albums did, of the band finishing off by bringing in more commercial producers to 'polish' things.

If that's the case, perhaps SoE will sound nice and cohesive (in the way Dan Smee describes Invisible).

Does anyone know how much influence Ryan Tedder has had on SoE? It seems kind of minimal at this point - there was that one interview a few months ago (the ATYCLB comparison one posted a few pages back), and to me it sounded like he'd heard the album, rather than worked on it (or at most, had only worked on it a little). That's about it.

My impression as well, even if I can't be sure till I see the song credits. Could be featured, in a minimal part. Right now, I'm thinking of him being a sort of music counselor for the 'SOE' project, at most. Since they basically appreciate him for his influence in the mainstream, being that a good or bad thing, maybe for them it's a feature to consider, at least - if I'm not wrong, The Edge spent great words about him, throughout the 'SOI' promotion. I don't recall Danger Mouse, or even Paul Epworth, being mentioned like him. Don't ask me for quotes, but I remember that way.

I see it as a (back then) youngster's reaction to the prejudices of the big city people who were at the cutting edge in fashion, culture, music (almost to the point where even rotten punks, in London, were looking better than them) towards four miserably looking boys wandering for the purpose of a record deal - "I'm more than you see, more than you let me be"; they were still holding hope they would have broken into that world - "You don't see me, but you will" / "I'm leaving the invisible world" - by means of music as expression of a vivid soul as opposed to the surface that everyone was looking at. I see "I won't be my father's son" as "I won't be Paul anymore, I will be Bono". Eventually, that contrast is broken with "There is no them", which can sound as a plain "Who fuckin' cares" or, in a wiser, adult point of view, as if that contrast is ultimately solved as the music is able to reach the most "different" dude.

I really like 'Invisible', although I admit it shocked me at first for the electronic pop feel. But now that feels as something really fresh they did explore - yeah, with Danger Mouse.
They've openly spoke of how Invisible is exactly what Laz just said.

Here's Edge's innocence and experience playlist for Apple Music. Let analyze for CLUES :shifty::shifty:

Innocence:

Sweet Jane – The Velvet Underground
Sheena Is A Punk Rocker – Ramones
Kashmir – Led Zeppelin
Rebel Rebel – David Bowie
Rock the Casbah – The Clash
Another Girl, Another Planet – The Only Ones
12 xu – wire
Glory – Patti Smith
No Woman, No Cry – Bob Marley & The Wailers
Fiction Romance – Buzzcocks
Elevation – Television
Dream Baby Dream – Suicide
Experience:

Seasons (Waiting On You) – Future Islands
I Can’t Give Everything Away – David Bowie
Burn The Witch – Radiohead
Hard Time – Seinabo Sey
My Number – Foals
Grounds For Divorce – Elbow
Black Skinhead – Kanye West
We Exist – Arcade Fire
Slow – Leonard Cohen
Breathe Life – Jack Garratt
Black Man in a White World – Michael Kiwanuka
Ballad of the Mighty I – Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds

All the latest information regarding Bono’s , Adam’s and Gavin’s words about next album and tour is coming from “U2 en España”, and NOT from U2Valencia. Might sound similar to some of you but the only thing in common is that we both are from Spain and share our passion for U2.

Having said that, we (“U2 en España”) are the ones who personally asked the three of them about U2’s next movements. What we are reporting is exactly what they said. As usual what they say is basically empty words. They do the same when they have an interview for Q Magazine or whatever. Their answers are never exact in terms of timings, basically because as we all know they are very bad with deadlines. Just remember what Edge told to SPIN last January: “The Edge Says U2’s Next LP is Coming Soon, Sounds Like ‘Zooropa’”. This time Bono mentioned WAR.

So, we are just reporting what they told to us last Saturday in Valencia. It is ridiculous to think that we are making up Gavin Friday’s words….ridiculous. Do you really think he cannot have an opinion and express it to a fan or whoever? He was just surprised that Bono had compared SOE with WAR and let us know when we shared Bono’s words with him. That’s it. Is that so strange?

Anyway….. You can do whatever you want with their words….but that’s what they actually said.

If someone wants to read what we reported just check U2 en España on Facebook (U2enEspana) (https://www.facebook.com/U2enEspana/)

Cheers

popbcn, we're just happy someone finally asked a question about SOE. thanks!

All the latest information regarding Bono’s , Adam’s and Gavin’s words about next album and tour is coming from “U2 en España”, and NOT from U2Valencia. Might sound similar to some of you but the only thing in common is that we both are from Spain and share our passion for U2.

Having said that, we (“U2 en España”) are the ones who personally asked the three of them about U2’s next movements. What we are reporting is exactly what they said. As usual what they say is basically empty words. They do the same when they have an interview for Q Magazine or whatever. Their answers are never exact in terms of timings, basically because as we all know they are very bad with deadlines. Just remember what Edge told to SPIN last January: “The Edge Says U2’s Next LP is Coming Soon, Sounds Like ‘Zooropa’”. This time Bono mentioned WAR.

So, we are just reporting what they told to us last Saturday in Valencia. It is ridiculous to think that we are making up Gavin Friday’s words….ridiculous. Do you really think he cannot have an opinion and express it to a fan or whoever? He was just surprised that Bono had compared SOE with WAR and let us know when we shared Bono’s words with him. That’s it. Is that so strange?

Anyway….. You can do whatever you want with their words….but that’s what they actually said.

If someone wants to read what we reported just check U2 en España on Facebook (U2enEspana) (https://www.facebook.com/U2enEspana/)

Cheers
Hey, didn't know you were on this forum. Greetings from Germany my friend ;)

The Edge Says U2’s Next LP is Coming Soon, Sounds Like ‘Zooropa’”. This time Bono mentioned WAR.
That's not what he said.

Maybe it's something lost in translation. The translation that was posted in here read like Bono was proud of his writing and saying the lyrics are his most "biting" since War and Gavin was basically saying no.

Of course Gavin will has his own opinion. But usually when a friend is proud of their work and they're saying "this is some of my best writing", "this is some of my best playing", "this is my best piece yet" and then someone asks someone in the same room "hey your friend believes this is some of their best work yet, do you agree?" You're normally not going to say "no, he's done better" to some complete stranger. Gavin is usually a "this is their best work yet" kind of guy in public.

Like I said, maybe it's something lost in translation.

It is not what he normally would or wouldn't do...it is what he did and said to us. I mean...were you there? Because we were.... Again, we told him what Bono had just said about SOE lyrics being stronger than WAR lyrics.... he looked surprised and said "Really? Mmmmm…no…I don’t think so".

About the comparison with Zooropa and WAR, I did only mention it in my last post as an example but you are right, Edge said SOE will sound like Zooropa and Bono used WAR as a reference to compare the lyrics of SOE (not the sound).

Anyway, that's what they all said. WIll SOE sound like Zooropa? Will the lyrics be stronger than WAR lyrics? Bullshit probably.

About the comparison with Zooropa and WAR, I did only mention it in my last post as an example but you are right, Edge said SOE will sound like Zooropa and Bono used WAR as a reference to compare the lyrics of SOE (not the sound).
Anyway, that's what they all said. WIll SOE sound like Zooropa? Will the lyrics be stronger than WAR lyrics? Bullshit probably.

I don't believe Edge ever said anything about SOE sounding like Zooropa, just that the approach and process reminded him of Zooropa.

I don't believe Edge ever said anything about SOE sounding like Zooropa, just that the approach and process reminded him of Zooropa.

I don't know, I wasn't there so I cannot tell u :wave:

I think the only Zooropa references, was that at one point mentioning that it'd be good to work an album fast as they did Zooropa. But as we know... They've not made a Zooropa-fast album since... well... Zooropa.

I love invisible. Best song of the era for mine, and not coincidentally, it is the one they obviously finished and released, and didn't fuck around with it for another 12 months

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really get the "There is no them, there's only us" line that gets repeated.

I actually like soundtrack version of Ordinary Love more.

Will this album be a Zoowarpa blend. Might be cool

Invisible has grown on me, but I feel they just missed with it. I think it has a lovely melody in the verses, and could have been expanded upon there. Bono is guilty of his cramming too many words (Laz pointed out beautifully how they would have worked with less)

The chorus is a grower, and it has a lot of power behind it.

As I said before, it could have been a classic if they add another couple of verses. Remove the clunky lyrics, and some of the Bono cliche's "White as Snow, There is no them, only us"

Edge could have done a little more in the song too. He goes into quiet mode again too often. The way it's played live has a little bit more to it, but on the album he isn't really the focus minus the opening, and solo.

Could also say the same thing about Ordinary Love. Wonderful melodies, big chorus....but clunky lyrics/delivery, and lack of Edge.

I don't really get the "There is no them, there's only us" line that gets repeated.

I heard Bono explain that when they went to see a concert as teenagers, the punk ethos was that there was no barrier between the band and the audience. The show was like one big group where a few just happened to be performing. Hence, you didn't go see "them" since they represented you.

However, like a lot of U2 lyrics, there's ambiguity. At the universal level it's the same sentiment as "One" in that we're all humans. There are no real divides like ethnicity, religion, etc.

As for the song... I like it quite a bit, but agree that Edge could have really driven it harder in a few spots.

I actually like soundtrack version of Ordinary Love more.

I think the first part of the song is Bono talking to his dad(obviously), then the song transitions to after he left and joined the band or joined the movement. When he sings a body in a soul, he's talking about when it's just him he's just Paul, but as part of U2 he's a part of this living breathing soul. A sum is better than its parts. And as Tim said the band and the audience have the same relationship; the sum is better than the parts. Therefore there is no them...

I did not have the opportunity to see the tour yet (not even close to my area), but from the Paris DVD and audio, I was pretty disappointed in Invisible live. The full length studio version is my favorite U2 song from the last 10 years. I thought it was really going to explode and it looked like it fell flat. IMO, it should have been the show opener at the main stage with the lightbulb, etc and segued into The Miracle.
Could have done a ton of different songs in the screen. Ultraviolet would have been awesome to see inside the screen. Imagine them playing with that screen exploding into Violet, that would be sick.
Anyways, how was Invisible for those who actually saw it live?

I did not have the opportunity to see the tour yet (not even close to my area), but from the Paris DVD and audio, I was pretty disappointed in Invisible live. The full length studio version is my favorite U2 song from the last 10 years. I thought it was really going to explode and it looked like it fell flat. IMO, it should have been the show opener at the main stage with the lightbulb, etc and segued into The Miracle.
Could have done a ton of different songs in the screen. Ultraviolet would have been awesome to see inside the screen. Imagine them playing with that screen exploding into Violet, that would be sick.
Anyways, how was Invisible for those who actually saw it live?

I completely agree...Loved the studio version, but felt the live version fell flat. I saw the opening two shows in Vancouver and thought maybe it was because they hadn't found their groove yet, but after watching the HBO/DVD Paris show, it sounded the same.

Looking foward to some new songs and different choices in 2017.

:lol:
I think it could be a great blend!

I heard Bono explain that when they went to see a concert as teenagers, the punk ethos was that there was no barrier between the band and the audience. The show was like one big group where a few just happened to be performing. Hence, you didn't go see "them" since they represented you..
This was definitely talked about in U2 by U2.

I think the first part of the song is Bono talking to his dad(obviously), then the song transitions to after he left and joined the band or joined the movement. When he sings a body in a soul, he's talking about when it's just him he's just Paul, but as part of U2 he's a part of this living breathing soul. A sum is better than its parts. And as Tim said the band and the audience have the same relationship; the sum is better than the parts. Therefore there is no them...

Nice, very poetic!

and as stated by others more meta interpretation of us & them.

I like this song a lot. Yes, probably Edge could have been stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom