Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 03:36 AM
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

My god this song is a masterpiece. It is filled with such energy, passion, and love. I could definitely see this song in movies, trailers, and it could be a successful single if they chose to release it. I would love to see this as their closer live!

Thoughts on LIBTAIIW?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 01:36 AM
I think it's too on the nose to be in movies and trailers, but in the context of the album, its absolutely perfect.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:36 AM
I think this is a song that could have benefited with some signature Edge guitar chime (think heartland) that’s missing from the album. It doesn’t sound like a U2 song which one can argue is a good thing but to me it sounds like a generic feel good song that really anyone could make.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Needed to be about 3 mins longer, hopefully we'll get that live. Love the first 2 verse choruses
Old 11-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Great song, really liking it. Especially the drum part, but the rest of the arrangement as well. Love the energy in it. Fits the album very well.

Do agree with Gonna Run 2 U, it could use some signature Edge chimes. But that's something we haven't been getting for a while now.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
I think this is a song that could have benefited with some signature Edge guitar chime (think heartland) that’s missing from the album. It doesn’t sound like a U2 song which one can argue is a good thing but to me it sounds like a generic feel good song that really anyone could make.
The production is a bit generic, I can agree with that, but the melodies, the lyrics and vocals are IMO strong enough and have enough of an identity for it to escape the generic feel. It also helps that the placement of the song in the context of the album is so good, and that U2 to be frank hasn't done clear-cut anthems like this one often in recent times. Last one I can think of that's obviously anthemic is City of Blinding Lights.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
War Child

Love this track. Deep production, powerful melody and structure. Doesn't really sound like usual anthemic U2 in any sense, and that's part of what's interesting about the impression it still manages to make. I know some have knocked it a bit for being too on the nose or cheesy, but I don't fully agree with that. Lyrics are as surprisingly good as the music. This is one of the songs I've wondered most about what the evolution of it must have been, not because of any issues with it, but because of how good it ended up sounding.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:36 AM
the bridge is excellent, but of the songs we haven't heard yet prior to this weekend, this one is clicking with me the least.

I've only listened to the album a handful of times to try to avoid overdosing. I'll be giving it a couple more spins later, and will get around to posting my own album review later too.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
The Fly

Local Time: 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy View Post
Love this track. Deep production, powerful melody and structure. Doesn't really sound like usual anthemic U2 in any sense, and that's part of what's interesting about the impression it still manages to make. I know some have knocked it a bit for being too on the nose or cheesy, but I don't fully agree with that. Lyrics are as surprisingly good as the music. This is one of the songs I've wondered most about what the evolution of it must have been, not because of any issues with it, but because of how good it ended up sounding.
The "too on the nose" critique is something I don't quite get when it comes to this song. The entire point of the song is to strip away all artifice and convey emotional honesty is the clearest terms possible to his children. I'm not sure how that can be construed as "cheesy" unless people are uncomfortable with that sort of thing.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
The Fly

It’s the first U2 song since Kite to bring me to tears on the first listen. I get that it’s over the top but in the context of what comes before it and especially afterwards, it’s amazing in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is the one song that hasn't really hit me yet. I don't know what it is about it. It's definitely a big song, something they're good at. I think it just stands out a little differently than anything else on the record and so it needs time to grow.

Live setting may help too.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

They will end the upcoming shows with this one.

I think LIBTAIIW is their attempt at a summation, like “in the end, the love you take = love you make.”

This is a more profound thought.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Ooooh.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #14
War Child

Bono likes to say that when they’re in the studio, they wait for God to walk into the room. With this song, he not only walked into the room, he stayed a while.

Simply epic.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
War Child

The first time I heard this, I cheered, clapped, and cried all alone like a weirdo. It is so good!