Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said in the singles thread, here are the 4 singles to go to market with on this album, and in this order:

Yes, I think most with knowledge of modern radio think this song HAS to be a single, which (knowing this band) means it probably won't be.

This song makes me feel good. An anthem with a simple, but effective message. Personally wish this was the album closer.

This song is absolutely nowhere close to Stuck. It's just full of broad, vague cliched platitudes (a massive drawback to Bono's most recent lyrics I feel) and doesn't deal in specifics which Bono was great at.

It's incredibly generic and dull, melodically boring, lyrically lifeless - sounds like Ryan Tedder's band OneRepublic.....

With the other similar tunes whereby Tedder's had his malign influence all over - such as a couple of singles - they've made themselves sound like one of those U2 tribute bands.

Indeed, Tedder doesn't understand the essence of U2 at all, coming from the same stock of MOR songwriter who are creative luddites.

Best bet for the next album is to get Andy Barlow as the main producer - his influences on the opening track and The Little Things blow every other producer out the water.

That's funny, because having been a fan of U2 for 30 years, I think this song does an excellent job of encapsulating what U2 have always been about. In a way, it boils down the entire U2 ethos to its purest form. If you're saying that this song causes you to think that Tedder "doesn't understand the essence of U2 at all", then I suggest you seem to have an irrational bone to pick with Tedder and re not objectively evaluating the song.

This song is absolutely nowhere close to Stuck. It's just full of broad, vague cliched platitudes (a massive drawback to Bono's most recent lyrics I feel) and doesn't deal in specifics which Bono was great at.

It's incredibly generic and dull, melodically boring, lyrically lifeless - sounds like Ryan Tedder's band OneRepublic.....

With the other similar tunes whereby Tedder's had his malign influence all over - such as a couple of singles - they've made themselves sound like one of those U2 tribute bands.

Indeed, Tedder doesn't understand the essence of U2 at all, coming from the same stock of MOR songwriter who are creative luddites.

Best bet for the next album is to get Andy Barlow as the main producer - his influences on the opening track and The Little Things blow every other producer out the water.

Tedder didn't even touch this one, lol

Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way:
Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono.
Produced by Jacknife Lee.
Engineered by Matt Bishop.
Assisted by Barry McCready and Dave “Squirrel” Covell.
Mixed by Jacknife Lee.
Assisted by Matt Bishop.
Additional keyboards by Jacknife Lee and Andrew Taggart (The Chainsmokers).
Additional guitars by Jacknife Lee.
Additional backing vocals by Jacknife Lee.

Nothing to do with this song: Ryan Tedder

I'd like to see this used as closer. It just has that feel to me.

I love that idea. I don’t know why they wouldn’t want to end the night on a high note from an energy standpoint.

As I was listening to this song today, I did think that it might not get played live. A great deal of the power of this song comes from the backing voices and Bono’s soaring “ohhhhhhh” and then there is the ending with the “Looooove is Bigger Than aaaaaaany Thing in its Way”

The backing voices can be played from a recording....although having a choir on stage would be money!!!

I just don’t know if Bono can hit those “oooooohs” every night and they an important aspect to the song.

Then the ending...I just don’t think his voice can hold the way it’s sang on the record although he can alter it and sing it differently (ie without the voice fluctuations). However, if they have a choir....it would sound awesome!!

Bottom line...get a fucking choir for this song and not some bullshit video of a choir like they pulled with Red Hill Mining Town on JT 30 with the people playing brass on the screen.

Damn, they really went for it in this song and they nailed it. Going in knowing it was a father to sons song gave me chills the first time I heard it. It's cheesy, heart on their sleeve, and straightforward but it's still so damn powerful. It's simply cathartic to sing along at full blast.

This is the catchy, powerful anthem I knew they still had in them. So fucking epic.

"The doors is open to go through, if I could I would go too, but the path was made by you"

After listening to this a few times then realizing what it's about, I started crying thinking about my 7 year old boy. It's a powerful set of lyrics

This is the big song on the album, it’s the “one” or “wowy.” It’s not quite there — I wish it had about 45-60 more seconds to breathe.

That said, it should have absolutely been a single. Literally no one else has the ability to write this song, and melt grown men’s hearts. This is exactly what the world wants U2 to be doing.

If this isn’t the last song — the 2017 equivalent of 2001’s “walk on” with the projected script on the audience — of the show, they are bonkers.

Unless they want to close with “40.” That’s fine by me.

"The doors is open to go through, if I could I would go too, but the path was made by you"

After listening to this a few times then realizing what it's about, I started crying thinking about my 7 year old boy. It's a powerful set of lyrics

This lyric "gets to me" also... Very good song.:up:

Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way:
Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono.
Produced by Jacknife Lee.
Engineered by Matt Bishop.
Assisted by Barry McCready and Dave “Squirrel” Covell.
Mixed by Jacknife Lee.
Assisted by Matt Bishop.
Additional keyboards by Jacknife Lee and Andrew Taggart (The Chainsmokers).
Additional guitars by Jacknife Lee.
Additional backing vocals by Jacknife Lee.

Nothing to do with this song: Ryan Tedder

Haha

This is the big song on the album, it’s the “one” or “wowy.” It’s not quite there — I wish it had about 45-60 more seconds to breathe.

That said, it should have absolutely been a single. Literally no one else has the ability to write this song, and melt grown men’s hearts. This is exactly what the world wants U2 to be doing.

If this isn’t the last song — the 2017 equivalent of 2001’s “walk on” with the projected script on the audience — of the show, they are bonkers.

Unless they want to close with “40.” That’s fine by me.

It could still very well be a single. And should be.

I have a gut feeling they're going to push this next year. A tie-in with a movie would be enormous.

But if it doesn't get the attention it deserves, I'm totally fine keeping this amazing song within the community :) It's nice to have gems that don't get overexposed and ripped apart by the mainstream.

I have a gut feeling they're going to push this next year. A tie-in with a movie would be enormous.

But if it doesn't get the attention it deserves, I'm totally fine keeping this amazing song within the community :) It's nice to have gems that don't get overexposed and ripped apart by the mainstream.

For me there are two sure “radio hits” on this album...Summer of Love and Love is Bigger

I also think TBT, GOOYOW and Blackout are all built for radio or some format of radio.

Then there is Little Things, which if it were up to me would be a #1 WW!

For me there are two sure “radio hits” on this album...Summer of Love and Love is Bigger

I tip my hat to you, my sentiment exactly. I actually think The Best Thing was a decent (not great, but alright) pick for first single, but Love Is Bigger or Summer of Love should've followed suit. GOOYOW is vapid in comparison, and American Soul should be buried.

Agreed.
While The Best Thing was a decent choice and a good song for lead single. I think if they did Summer of Love first, while it was still warm weather in most places, it would have been well timed. The song has a more unique and intriguing sound, something new and unique for the band, along with it just being a great song.
I think that it would have created much more intrigue and interest from fans/public than Best Thing which was either liked by non fans cause it was catchy, liked well enough by fans, and totally dismissed by many for being too pop.

Then they should have been poised to do a huge push, with multiple movie and tv tie ins for Love is Bigger. This song is built for closing moments of a big movie or TV drama. Pair it with a beautiful and moving video starring a well known yet cool actor (NOT another fucking performance video featuring THEM!!!!). No one wants it guys. Sorry. And this song could have had real Hot100 potential.

Then maybe Little Things as a third single... although Best Thing would be fine too.

I confess that on the first listen to this it didn't make much of an impact. It sounded like a latter-years U2-by-numbers effort, all lush and polished. The kind of thing Bono and Edge could write in their sleep. Like its inclusion on the album was structural as much as anything else. "Something slower here after Blackout, as we head toward the close ..."

But then the "If the moonlight..." section happens, and wow! Big wow. A whole new appreciation kicked in. I did not really "hear" that bit properly until another listen or three. I was too busy being cynical. Now I love the whole thing. I love U2 when they're in big-sound, church-y mode.

Funny how often that happens ... they almost always give you something to hang your hat on -- be it a single lyric, a sound, a solo, a subtle bit of Edge guitar "commentary" playing quietly amidst a verse (consult your Last Night on Earth) -- that makes you go back and reevaluate a song you weren't initially crazy about. Then you realize they were right all along.

That said, I will not ever come around to American Soul. Not. Ever. :lol:

Loved the live version. An extended outtro is exactly what this song needs, and I can't wait to see how it develops on the tour.

Imagine the goldmine of songs that Bono can snippet as Edge is doing his thing - Pride In the Name of Love, One, Love Is All We Have Left, All You Need Is Love, Can't Help Falling In Love, Unchained Melody, Love Will Find A Way... I'm sure he'll find something new and great to go with it.

I hope they close with this.

Loved the live version.

Bono went a bit out of tune at the bridge Killianey Bay not but got it back nicely.

That live strings version really is pretty special. And there's room there at the end for Edge to come up with some epic outro guitaring.
Put it this way: if this song had of had the chance to be part of the live shows for 30 years like the JT staples have, it'd likely still be an absolute show-stopper today.

I can absolutely see Bono screwing up that first prechorus live, it's easy to find yourself jumbling it when singing it to yourself... "As you walk in, stop singing and start talking" ?

That live strings version really is pretty special. And there's room there at the end for Edge to come up with some epic outro guitaring.
Put it this way: if this song had of had the chance to be part of the live shows for 30 years like the JT staples have, it'd likely still be an absolute show-stopper today.

First time I heard this I was like, meh. How wrong I was, it's WAY up there, if not my favorite (but I have so many favorites on this album). Anyway, the BBC version was SOOO good.

I vote for this as the closer, but it could immediately go into 40 and I'd be fine.

Stepped away and came back to the album - 13, American Soul, Best Thing, and Love Is All We Have Left are the worst songs in that order. The other 9 tracks, which is a lot, are solid. By U2 standards, it's an above average album and substantially superior to the last two albums. No high points but an overall rich listen. As with SOI, it'll suffer from the lack of a lead single to buoy it for the long haul.

Back
Top Bottom