Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From chorus.fm review:

“Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way” is the album’s grand climax, a euphoric number that shows U2 is still better at doing the big inspirational anthem better than any other band on the planet.

This song might as well have been played by Snow Patrol a few years back... still, I love it!

Man, this big dumb corny song really hit me today. Something about it is just so damn invigorating if you are in the right mood. Bono's over the top "oohhhhhhs" and then when the bridge just rains down.... what the hell, I thought I didn't like this song. lol

Damn, they really went for it in this song and they nailed it. Going in knowing it was a father to sons song gave me chills the first time I heard it. It's cheesy, heart on their sleeve, and straightforward but it's still so damn powerful. It's simply cathartic to sing along at full blast.

This is the catchy, powerful anthem I knew they still had in them. So fucking epic.

The first two, I'll give you. We'll see if I grow to like it more than Stuck. (I have no problem with U2 doing sugary pop, if it's done well... for example, Love is Bigger and Stuck.)

I'd take this over Stuck. Maybe because I'm sick of Stuck.

Man, this big dumb corny song really hit me today. Something about it is just so damn invigorating if you are in the right mood. Bono's over the top "oohhhhhhs" and then when the bridge just rains down.... what the hell, I thought I didn't like this song. lol

First few listens, I was like, no I don't think so. I've changed my mind. They better do it live.

Honestly, I did not expect to like this. I'd read tons of stuff about it before I listened, mostly about how poppy it is, with a fair few dinging it for trying too hard. And I get it. I get that this is U2 consciously TRYING to be anthemic. I get that it's cheesy.

BUT.

Every time I listen, it moves up in my estimation. It's just TOO catchy, too joyful, for me to do anything but love it. It's gonna be a great one live; I agree with whoever said they could see it as a closer too, even though they usually prefer the downbeat ends. It's just big, unadorned, unhidden joy and I love it.

This should be the closer, and then the encore closer should be Little Things.

This song is truly amazing. U2 doing what they do better than most anyone...big, unashamedly uplifting tunes. I only wish it would go on a little bit longer.

I initially thought this song was one of the weaker ones (cheesy, Snow Patrol-like as others have said) but I've come around to really liking it. I don't find it sentimental either. It's just straight up inspirational, with a dash of melancholy - what U2 has always excelled at doing. I agree with the above though - it seems too short in a way. An extended Edge solo might have been too much, but it's an ingredient that I can't help feel would have been most welcome to die hard fans.

You know that feeling you get at a U2 show? The first time I saw U2 in '85 for the Unforgettable Fire tour, I was left with this incredible feeling of warmth. I tried to explain it to others and they had no clue what I was talking about. A rock and roll concert? Wha?

Well, 32 years and 17 shows later, I still get that same feeling. A U2 show is what church should be. I frequently find myself very near tears. I know I'm not the only one.

Imagine how this song ends. Imagine it closing the show with 50,000 people singing along. What we might dismiss as "cheesy" on record will become a spiritual experience live.

I find it truly interesting the comparisons this song elicits, I've heard Snow Patrol, Journey, SYCMIOYO, and even Katy Perry. It's as if no one knows what to think of this song.

I'll soon be posting a custom trackorder in the appropriate thread because once again, the band has failed to put together a sonically cohesive order themselves, but in the meantime, I wanted to talk about this one because it's one of my favorites yet also one of the most frustrating.

It's interesting that the album begins and ends with a pair of songs with "love" and "light" in the title, and really underlines the thought put into the LP's themes. In both Lights of Home and Love is Bigger, the songs build to powerful, sing-alongs. But while Lights of Home lets its Hey Jude vibe continue long enough to be satisfying, this song pulls the rug out right when it's reaching its crescendo of full power, and then reprises the vocoded "oh oh oh" of the intro. My first instinct was thinking it was going to kick in again for another big dose of the feels, but then it just ends. Extremely anticlimactic and it actually makes me skeptical of keeping it as the big showstopping penultimate track before the coda of There Is A Light.

Crazy as it may sound to some, putting it in the #2 slot actually works really well, and reveals the album's big pop tendencies right out of the gate. And if you swap Lights of Home in its place, particularly the string version, it's a powerful, dramatic song to close the album and you still get a big choral vocal part that's similarly inspirational and serves the same purpose.

I'll soon be posting a custom trackorder in the appropriate thread because once again, the band has failed to put together a sonically cohesive order themselves, but in the meantime, I wanted to talk about this one because it's one of my favorites yet also one of the most frustrating.

It's interesting that the album begins and ends with a pair of songs with "love" and "light" in the title, and really underlines the thought put into the LP's themes. In both Lights of Home and Love is Bigger, the songs build to powerful, sing-alongs. But while Lights of Home lets its Hey Jude vibe continue long enough to be satisfying, this song pulls the rug out right when it's reaching its crescendo of full power, and then reprises the vocoded "oh oh oh" of the intro. My first instinct was thinking it was going to kick in again for another big dose of the feels, but then it just ends. Extremely anticlimactic and it actually makes me skeptical of keeping it as the big showstopping penultimate track before the coda of There Is A Light.

Crazy as it may sound to some, putting it in the #2 slot actually works really well, and reveals the album's big pop tendencies right out of the gate. And if you swap Lights of Home in its place, particularly the string version, it's a powerful, dramatic song to close the album and you still get a big choral vocal part that's similarly inspirational and serves the same purpose.

I like this a lot.

It is such a frustrating song. You have this big, BIG, soaring chorus, and you only use it twice? You build up to it, magnificently, and then what? Nothing? Ugh. So close to being perfect.

I like this a lot.

It is such a frustrating song. You have this big, BIG, soaring chorus, and you only use it twice? You build up to it, magnificently, and then what? Nothing? Ugh. So close to being perfect.

I had the similar thoughts about Pride when I first heard it. The "whoa, oh uh oh" outro ended way too soon. That was the big, soaring moment when you felt the song could leave the earth. I found out later (from the UF documentary) that Bono also wanted it to go on but was persuaded by Eno who lobbied for a shorter ending.

I think the epic, enduring song that you want will be the one we hear live.

I would be interested to see the divide in opinions on this one among people who have children vs those who don’t.

I’m guessing those who of us who kids are relating to it much, much more.

2 very young kids and yeah, I love this song and think of them when I listen to it.

Just about cried the first few times I heard this. It is astonishing. The "oh sing this song etc..." verse with Bono and Edge singing together is out of this world. You hear this verse and think why the flap have they been holding back on this sort of thing over the years. Its devastatingly brilliant. Subtle, low key vocals with Bono and Edge locked in step. Beautiful. More of this please.

Just about cried the first few times I heard this. It is astonishing. The "oh sing this song etc..." verse with Bono and Edge singing together is out of this world. You hear this verse and think why the flap have they been holding back on this sort of thing over the years. Its devastatingly brilliant. Subtle, low key vocals with Bono and Edge locked in step. Beautiful. More of this please.

It has a great buildup that’s for sure, will be interesting to see where it ends up, thinking an end to the main set would be unbelievable

Re: the chorus... I actually like how the chorus only appears twice. Leaves you wanting more, instead of feeling like the song has overstayed its welcome.

Predictably, this song has slowly moved down in my list of favorites. It's not that it's bad, it's just that the song's appeal is so immediate and obvious, compared to the other songs, which I have appreciated more after several listens.

This song is absolutely nowhere close to Stuck. It's just full of broad, vague cliched platitudes (a massive drawback to Bono's most recent lyrics I feel) and doesn't deal in specifics which Bono was great at.

It's incredibly generic and dull, melodically boring, lyrically lifeless - sounds like Ryan Tedder's band OneRepublic.....

With the other similar tunes whereby Tedder's had his malign influence all over - such as a couple of singles - they've made themselves sound like one of those U2 tribute bands.

Indeed, Tedder doesn't understand the essence of U2 at all, coming from the same stock of MOR songwriter who are creative luddites.

Best bet for the next album is to get Andy Barlow as the main producer - his influences on the opening track and The Little Things blow every other producer out the water.

Last edited:

who are you and what have you done with the real AndrewCowley?! :D

(just messing - really glad you like the album man :up: )

Re: the chorus... I actually like how the chorus only appears twice. Leaves you wanting more, instead of feeling like the song has overstayed its welcome.

Predictably, this song has slowly moved down in my list of favorites. It's not that it's bad, it's just that the song's appeal is so immediate and obvious, compared to the other songs, which I have appreciated more after several listens.

Has done just the opposite for me. At first I wasn't sure. Now I love it and the "13" 1-2 punch. Incredible song.

This song is absolutely nowhere close to Stuck. It's just full of broad, vague cliched platitudes (a massive drawback to Bono's most recent lyrics I feel) and doesn't deal in specifics which Bono was great at.

It's incredibly generic and dull, melodically boring, lyrically lifeless - sounds like Ryan Tedder's band OneRepublic.....

With the other similar tunes whereby Tedder's had his malign influence all over - such as a couple of singles - they've made themselves sound like one of those U2 tribute bands.

Indeed, Tedder doesn't understand the essence of U2 at all, coming from the same stock of MOR songwriter who are creative luddites.

Best bet for the next album is to get Andy Barlow as the main producer - his influences on the opening track and The Little Things blow every other producer out the water.

But it's full of lyrics that I could just as easily be singing to my 19 year old son. I think it's beautiful.

It's a decent song and I liked it upon first hearing but now my honeymoon period is over for the album I can say it's not a song I pick out at random.

There are 7 before it I'd do that with.

For some reason It reminds me of Bon Jovi when I'm listening and that might be the problem, because I'm not a Bon Jovi fan.

Book Of Your Heart, is so much better IMO and that isn't even a part of the album proper. And that's my favourite. I think Unreleased tracks like the original Mercy are vastly superior to Love Is Bigger. I don't skip it but it kind of washes over me.

Last edited:
Actually my opinion might change when I've heard it live, we'll see. It might gain a few needed rough edges :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom