Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that review seemed to think it was forced, contrived fuck-giving at that moment.

U2 has always striven to be the biggest band in the world. But I'm always surprised to hear people think aloud that U2 is posturing on the positions they hold to achieve that aim.

If anything, U2 loses a lot of potential fans because of their outspoken nature.

The people who think U2 are only doing this-or-that to be relevant are the people looking at them in the over-the-hill-past-their-prime lens and forgetting what they once knew.

That U2 is a band of passion for what's right (at least what they consider right) and that is what drives them. I think everything else is secondary.

this is U2, so if the current movement du jour were freedom for lambs, well you just know they would have worked a few lambs scenes into it.

the video sucks. great song tho.

Also, how is recognition of LGBTQ people a "movement du jour"? It's a struggle that's been going on for a very long time.

I find the suggestion that the primary goal of the video was to be controversial to be offensive. As said above, simply depicting the diversity of a city by featuring some of its marginalized individuals is only controversial if you're an asshole.

Also, how is recognition of LGBTQ people a "movement du jour"? It's a struggle that's been going on for a very long time.

I find the suggestion that the primary goal of the video was to be controversial to be offensive. As said above, simply depicting the diversity of a city by featuring some of its marginalized individuals is only controversial if you're an asshole.
But have you watched the video?

not sure who you are referring to when you imply that anyone is suggesting the video is contoversial. In fact I think you have it backwards - the video is anything but controversial. it plays on (capitalizes and monetizes in U2 language) the recent (as in last few years) movement supporting gay rights and other specific and related causes (transgender rights, gay marriage, etc). these are in fact fairly recent developments. yes I undertand the struggles have gone on for a very long time, but only recently has the public perception really shifted, and in a good way IMO.

so in this regard U2's jumping on that bandwagon is not controversial at all. it is surprising they did not do it sooner, and in that regard it is, if anything, quite banal.

There are people saying "oh, they just want to stir the pot." That's one part of the general comments I'm addressing here.

Moreso than the blatantly homophobic comments I've seen.

Watched the vid again last night and I realized that during one or perhaps my favorite line of the entire album “if you listen you can hear the silence say, when you think you’re done you’ve just begun”, a kid turns around, bends over and shakes his ass in slow motion.

I don’t need a literal visual interpretation of that line but FFS, what they showed is about the furthest thing from what I would want to see.

My hope is always that the visuals that accompany a song add another positive dimension to the music like Beautiful Day, With or Without you, Stay (Stay is gorgeous) etc...but not only did that not happen but this video actually takes away from the music. They want to tell a story about the LG community....awesome, go for it but this is NOT it.

Watched the vid again last night and I realized that during one or perhaps my favorite line of the entire album “if you listen you can hear the silence say, when you think you’re done you’ve just begun”, a kid turns around, bends over and shakes his ass in slow motion.

I don’t need a literal visual interpretation of that line but FFS, what they showed is about the furthest thing from what I would want to see.

My hope is always that the visuals that accompany a song add another positive dimension to the music like Beautiful Day, With or Without you, Stay (Stay is gorgeous) etc...but not only did that not happen but this video actually takes away from the music. They want to tell a story about the LG community....awesome, go for it but this is NOT it.

My wedding song was All I Want Is You, clearly because I married a suicidal dwarf.

Agreed. U2 has a few great videos, some decent videos, but for the most part a lot of bad videos. This is one of the bad ones.

not sure who you are referring to when you imply that anyone is suggesting the video is contoversial. In fact I think you have it backwards - the video is anything but controversial. it plays on (capitalizes and monetizes in U2 language) the recent (as in last few years) movement supporting gay rights and other specific and related causes (transgender rights, gay marriage, etc). these are in fact fairly recent developments. yes I undertand the struggles have gone on for a very long time, but only recently has the public perception really shifted, and in a good way IMO.

so in this regard U2's jumping on that bandwagon is not controversial at all. it is surprising they did not do it sooner, and in that regard it is, if anything, quite banal.

the director of the music video chose to tell this story, and was supposedly given free reign to interpret the song. Yes I'm sure u2 signed off on the concept before it was made, but to imply they are jumping on a bandwagon is off-base.

The cynicism around here is tiring, sometimes

My wedding song was All I Want Is You, clearly because I married a suicidal dwarf.

You mean the music video that told the story of the Dwarf who was in love with another woman but she was with another circus performer(strong man?). That video actually complimented the song and told a beautiful story where the Dwarf felt he wasn’t good enough (perhaps he felt “small” or “inadequate” and his size was symbolic of what he thought of himself...) but in actuality she did care for him but it was too late(Beautiful video...).

I would say that AIWIY is one of the very few perfect U2 songs to be a wedding song.....I approve.

Last edited:
watched the vid again last night and i realized that during one or perhaps my favorite line of the entire album “if you listen you can hear the silence say, when you think you’re done you’ve just begun”, a kid turns around, bends over and shakes his ass in slow motion.

I don’t need a literal visual interpretation of that line but ffs, what they showed is about the furthest thing from what i would want to see.

My hope is always that the visuals that accompany a song add another positive dimension to the music like beautiful day, with or without you, stay (stay is gorgeous) etc...but not only did that not happen but this video actually takes away from the music. They want to tell a story about the lg community....awesome, go for it but this is not it.

+1

You mean the music video that told the story of the Dwarf who was in love with another woman but she was with another circus performer(strong man?). That video actually complimented the song and told a beautiful story where the Dwarf felt he wasn’t good enough (perhaps he felt “small” or “inadequate” and his size was symbolic of what he thought of himself...) but in actuality she did care for him but it was too late(Beautiful video...).

I would say that AIWIY is one of the very few perfect U2 songs to be a wedding song.....I approve.

If the little person's size was also a metaphor for how he felt about himself, then choosing the cast of youth for the Love is Bigger video is a metaphor for...

Weak lyrics, weak video.

A good sound live, though. It is what it is.

Good song, good pick for a single.

Bad video, par of the norm for the past two albums.

The aisle as in leaving the concert you mean?

YRgqMh.gif

Weakest song on the album, not a great video and now..... very weak remixes.....

C'mon! Release Red Flag Day, with an extended version (80's style)!!!!

So lame it's reversed back onto itself and is now great.

Just listened to the remix CD on iTunes.......all 3 versions are awful.

I wish they would put alternate versions of which there are likely several given all of the work the Edge did on this album. I would have loved to have the BBC version as a single.

Back
Top Bottom