Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not my favourite track on the new album, but it's been 48 hours since this song got stuck in my head in a continuous loop and that I can't stop singing the lyrics and that initial riff.
It's a very simple song but very effective.
Should it be a single as Bono suggests?

Stepped away and came back to the album - 13, American Soul, Best Thing, and Love Is All We Have Left are the worst songs in that order. The other 9 tracks, which is a lot, are solid. By U2 standards, it's an above average album and substantially superior to the last two albums. No high points but an overall rich listen. As with SOI, it'll suffer from the lack of a lead single to buoy it for the long haul.

I believe it has several more songs than SOI that have a chance for success to keep it going. Lights of Home and Love is Bigger scream radio friendly mass appeal. I think Red Flag and Summer of Love are catchy as hell and could do well.

played it on guitar-same chords as ultraviolet

it's true, the basic chords are the same as the "baby baby baby" part near the end of ultraviolet, but that's a good thing. Actually all the chords used in Love is bigger are used at some point in ultraviolet, but that 's a good thing too. This song is awesome and so is ultraviolet. The BBC performance puts a nail on the coffin, this song is the best U2 song since..............1997 or possibly 1993.

This song is awesome and so is ultraviolet. The BBC performance puts a nail on the coffin, this song is the best U2 song since..............1997 or possibly 1993.

This song is great. At the moment it's my second favorite behind Little Things.

I would also say it's one of their best songs (not sure where I rank it but top 30 likely and maybe top 25). I give it a 9/10 with potential to get to a 10/10.

Wonderful addition to the U2 catalog!

I like the song, but I hope it's not a new directon for the band. I like the dark, emotional and angry u2.

I like the song, but I hope it's not a new directon for the band. I like the dark, emotional and angry u2.

I don't think it is a new direction. I think it's part of their "sound balance" with recent albums:

California, magnificent, Crazy Tonight, Best Thing, Love is Bigger vs Sleep Like a Baby, Moment of Surrender, Troubles, Little Things (not sure if it's angry but I think of it as "darker")

Am I the only one who thinks the pre-chorus of this song sounds a *lot* like High & Dry by Radiohead?

I think the solo (if you want to call it that) before the outro has a stronger resemblance to High and Dry. But yeah, it was the 1st song I thought of when listening to this one.

Faintly reminds me of "When I Look At The World" on ATYCLB. Lovely track, hearing the BBC live version, I'm sure it'll be in the setlist somewhere.

Am I the only one who thinks the pre-chorus of this song sounds a *lot* like High & Dry by Radiohead?

Hope they won't do the same to U2 they did with Lana Del Rey...
...Specially if we remember that there's a lot of "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" in "High And Dry".

...I still think there's something "Stay'ish" in "Love Is Bigger" - specially in Bono's singing and in the main riff.

I don't know if I ever noticed that before, but I can hear it in my head, now, without even listening to it.

Listen from about 1 minute on, when Bono goes AHHHOOOOOOOHHHH!! there's a brief couple chord changes that, combined with the vocal delivery, bring to mind DON'T LEAVE ME HIIIIIIIGH

Hope they won't do the same to U2 they did with Lana Del Rey...
...Specially if we remember that there's a lot of "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" in "High And Dry".

...I still think there's something "Stay'ish" in "Love Is Bigger" - specially in Bono's singing and in the main riff.

Just remember that The Hollies did to Radiohead what Radiohead might be doing to Lana Del Rey... for the same song!

But seriously, to my limited musical ear, there's way more of 'Creep' in 'The Air That I Breathe' than there is anything Radiohead in 'Love Is Bigger..'. other than maybe being in the same key and a close tempo?

Just remember that The Hollies did to Radiohead what Radiohead might be doing to Lana Del Rey... for the same song!

But seriously, to my limited musical ear, there's way more of 'Creep' in 'The Air That I Breathe' than there is anything Radiohead in 'Love Is Bigger..'. other than maybe being in the same key and a close tempo?

I know, I know, that's why I decided to bring it as well as the "Love Is Bigger" -> "High And Dry" -> "Stay" thing.

200.gif

This is a stupid question, but has anyone purchased the whole SOE album on iTunes? I was looking at my playlist, and it removed LIBTAIIW from my list and I can't get it back. When I click on it, it takes me to Apple Music, which I don't have nor want. Is it just me? I am going crazy trying to figure it out!

This is a stupid question, but has anyone purchased the whole SOE album on iTunes? I was looking at my playlist, and it removed LIBTAIIW from my list and I can't get it back. When I click on it, it takes me to Apple Music, which I don't have nor want. Is it just me? I am going crazy trying to figure it out!

I ordered purchased the deluxe on iTunes and I’m not missing any songs. That’s odd, perhaps you deleted it in error(depending on your set up, I’m thinking you could still retrieve it)

I ordered purchased the deluxe on iTunes and I’m not missing any songs. That’s odd, perhaps you deleted it in error(depending on your set up, I’m thinking you could still retrieve it)

Yea, I may have deleted it by accident but I am trying to get it back. It wants me to instead get Apple Music. I am going crazy trying to find a way to recover a lost song on it tho. So weird.

I bought it in iTunes and somehow it deleted "summer of love". It wouldn't let me download it again, because I already had it. I searched my entire computer and the file was just gone. So I just illegally downloaded it and stuck in the appropriate place (that's what she said).

Back
Top Bottom