Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'll soon be posting a custom trackorder in the appropriate thread because once again, the band has failed to put together a sonically cohesive order themselves, but in the meantime, I wanted to talk about this one because it's one of my favorites yet also one of the most frustrating.

It's interesting that the album begins and ends with a pair of songs with "love" and "light" in the title, and really underlines the thought put into the LP's themes. In both Lights of Home and Love is Bigger, the songs build to powerful, sing-alongs. But while Lights of Home lets its Hey Jude vibe continue long enough to be satisfying, this song pulls the rug out right when it's reaching its crescendo of full power, and then reprises the vocoded "oh oh oh" of the intro. My first instinct was thinking it was going to kick in again for another big dose of the feels, but then it just ends. Extremely anticlimactic and it actually makes me skeptical of keeping it as the big showstopping penultimate track before the coda of There Is A Light.

Crazy as it may sound to some, putting it in the #2 slot actually works really well, and reveals the album's big pop tendencies right out of the gate. And if you swap Lights of Home in its place, particularly the string version, it's a powerful, dramatic song to close the album and you still get a big choral vocal part that's similarly inspirational and serves the same purpose.

I like this a lot.

It is such a frustrating song. You have this big, BIG, soaring chorus, and you only use it twice? You build up to it, magnificently, and then what? Nothing? Ugh. So close to being perfect.

TinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #77
The Fly

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
I like this a lot.

It is such a frustrating song. You have this big, BIG, soaring chorus, and you only use it twice? You build up to it, magnificently, and then what? Nothing? Ugh. So close to being perfect.
I had the similar thoughts about Pride when I first heard it. The "whoa, oh uh oh" outro ended way too soon. That was the big, soaring moment when you felt the song could leave the earth. I found out later (from the UF documentary) that Bono also wanted it to go on but was persuaded by Eno who lobbied for a shorter ending.

I think the epic, enduring song that you want will be the one we hear live.

Maroon Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2freakboy View Post

I would be interested to see the divide in opinions on this one among people who have children vs those who don’t.

I’m guessing those who of us who kids are relating to it much, much more.

2 very young kids and yeah, I love this song and think of them when I listen to it.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #79
Refugee

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Just about cried the first few times I heard this. It is astonishing. The "oh sing this song etc..." verse with Bono and Edge singing together is out of this world. You hear this verse and think why the flap have they been holding back on this sort of thing over the years. Its devastatingly brilliant. Subtle, low key vocals with Bono and Edge locked in step. Beautiful. More of this please.
AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:35 PM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
Just about cried the first few times I heard this. It is astonishing. The "oh sing this song etc..." verse with Bono and Edge singing together is out of this world. You hear this verse and think why the flap have they been holding back on this sort of thing over the years. Its devastatingly brilliant. Subtle, low key vocals with Bono and Edge locked in step. Beautiful. More of this please.

It has a great buildup that’s for sure, will be interesting to see where it ends up, thinking an end to the main set would be unbelievable
zoocarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #81
War Child

Local Time: 02:05 PM
Re: the chorus... I actually like how the chorus only appears twice. Leaves you wanting more, instead of feeling like the song has overstayed its welcome.

Predictably, this song has slowly moved down in my list of favorites. It's not that it's bad, it's just that the song's appeal is so immediate and obvious, compared to the other songs, which I have appreciated more after several listens.
Scorpionac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #82
The Fly

Local Time: 03:05 PM
This song is absolutely nowhere close to Stuck. It's just full of broad, vague cliched platitudes (a massive drawback to Bono's most recent lyrics I feel) and doesn't deal in specifics which Bono was great at.

It's incredibly generic and dull, melodically boring, lyrically lifeless - sounds like Ryan Tedder's band OneRepublic.....

With the other similar tunes whereby Tedder's had his malign influence all over - such as a couple of singles - they've made themselves sound like one of those U2 tribute bands.

Indeed, Tedder doesn't understand the essence of U2 at all, coming from the same stock of MOR songwriter who are creative luddites.

Best bet for the next album is to get Andy Barlow as the main producer - his influences on the opening track and The Little Things blow every other producer out the water.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
who are you and what have you done with the real AndrewCowley?!

(just messing - really glad you like the album man )
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #84
The Fly

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicHorizon View Post
This song is truly amazing. U2 doing what they do better than most anyone...big, unashamedly uplifting tunes. I only wish it would go on a little bit longer.
In order to be a little more better?
Alphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #85
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpionac View Post
Re: the chorus... I actually like how the chorus only appears twice. Leaves you wanting more, instead of feeling like the song has overstayed its welcome.

Predictably, this song has slowly moved down in my list of favorites. It's not that it's bad, it's just that the song's appeal is so immediate and obvious, compared to the other songs, which I have appreciated more after several listens.
Has done just the opposite for me. At first I wasn't sure. Now I love it and the "13" 1-2 punch. Incredible song.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #86
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD View Post
This song is absolutely nowhere close to Stuck. It's just full of broad, vague cliched platitudes (a massive drawback to Bono's most recent lyrics I feel) and doesn't deal in specifics which Bono was great at.

It's incredibly generic and dull, melodically boring, lyrically lifeless - sounds like Ryan Tedder's band OneRepublic.....

With the other similar tunes whereby Tedder's had his malign influence all over - such as a couple of singles - they've made themselves sound like one of those U2 tribute bands.

Indeed, Tedder doesn't understand the essence of U2 at all, coming from the same stock of MOR songwriter who are creative luddites.

Best bet for the next album is to get Andy Barlow as the main producer - his influences on the opening track and The Little Things blow every other producer out the water.
But it's full of lyrics that I could just as easily be singing to my 19 year old son. I think it's beautiful.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #87
Ghost of Love

Like I said in the singles thread, here are the 4 singles to go to market with on this album, and in this order:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Love Is Bigger

Lights of Home

Landlady

Get Out

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor

It sounds like a song that would play over the end of some corny Christmas RomCom, but it's catchy as hell.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #89
Babyface

Local Time: 10:05 PM
It's a decent song and I liked it upon first hearing but now my honeymoon period is over for the album I can say it's not a song I pick out at random.

There are 7 before it I'd do that with.

For some reason It reminds me of Bon Jovi when I'm listening and that might be the problem, because I'm not a Bon Jovi fan.

Book Of Your Heart, is so much better IMO and that isn't even a part of the album proper. And that's my favourite. I think Unreleased tracks like the original Mercy are vastly superior to Love Is Bigger. I don't skip it but it kind of washes over me.
Marc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #90
Babyface

Local Time: 10:05 PM
Actually my opinion might change when I've heard it live, we'll see. It might gain a few needed rough edges

Marc66 is offline   Reply With Quote