Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #61
War Child

Local Time: 08:37 PM
From chorus.fm review:

“Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way” is the album’s grand climax, a euphoric number that shows U2 is still better at doing the big inspirational anthem better than any other band on the planet.

U2freakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:49 AM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 06:37 AM
From the 2:25 mark to 3:00 minutes mark of the song is pure heaven !!!

hasin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:53 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasin73 View Post
From the 2:25 mark to 3:00 minutes mark of the song is pure heaven !!!
This is the highlight of the entire album for me by far. Breathtaking, really. Sort of caught me by surprise.
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:25 AM   #64
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Hmmmmm. Kind of cheesy for me. Reminds of bores like Sometimes you can't make it on your own and miracle drug. ugh.
snutes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:15 AM   #65
Babyface

Local Time: 01:37 AM
This song might as well have been played by Snow Patrol a few years back... still, I love it!
jamesbond6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Man, this big dumb corny song really hit me today. Something about it is just so damn invigorating if you are in the right mood. Bono's over the top "oohhhhhhs" and then when the bridge just rains down.... what the hell, I thought I didn't like this song. lol
RoKKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #67
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Damn, they really went for it in this song and they nailed it. Going in knowing it was a father to sons song gave me chills the first time I heard it. It's cheesy, heart on their sleeve, and straightforward but it's still so damn powerful. It's simply cathartic to sing along at full blast.

This is the catchy, powerful anthem I knew they still had in them. So fucking epic.
PRB216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #68
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpionac View Post
The first two, I'll give you. We'll see if I grow to like it more than Stuck. (I have no problem with U2 doing sugary pop, if it's done well... for example, Love is Bigger and Stuck.)
I'd take this over Stuck. Maybe because I'm sick of Stuck.
Alphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #69
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post
Man, this big dumb corny song really hit me today. Something about it is just so damn invigorating if you are in the right mood. Bono's over the top "oohhhhhhs" and then when the bridge just rains down.... what the hell, I thought I didn't like this song. lol
First few listens, I was like, no I don't think so. I've changed my mind. They better do it live.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #70
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnknownCalle View Post
Honestly, I did not expect to like this. I'd read tons of stuff about it before I listened, mostly about how poppy it is, with a fair few dinging it for trying too hard. And I get it. I get that this is U2 consciously TRYING to be anthemic. I get that it's cheesy.

BUT.

Every time I listen, it moves up in my estimation. It's just TOO catchy, too joyful, for me to do anything but love it. It's gonna be a great one live; I agree with whoever said they could see it as a closer too, even though they usually prefer the downbeat ends. It's just big, unadorned, unhidden joy and I love it.
This should be the closer, and then the encore closer should be Little Things.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #71
The Fly

This song is truly amazing. U2 doing what they do better than most anyone...big, unashamedly uplifting tunes. I only wish it would go on a little bit longer.
AtomicHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #72
War Child

Local Time: 12:37 AM
I initially thought this song was one of the weaker ones (cheesy, Snow Patrol-like as others have said) but I've come around to really liking it. I don't find it sentimental either. It's just straight up inspirational, with a dash of melancholy - what U2 has always excelled at doing. I agree with the above though - it seems too short in a way. An extended Edge solo might have been too much, but it's an ingredient that I can't help feel would have been most welcome to die hard fans.
purpleblackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #73
The Fly

Local Time: 06:37 PM
You know that feeling you get at a U2 show? The first time I saw U2 in '85 for the Unforgettable Fire tour, I was left with this incredible feeling of warmth. I tried to explain it to others and they had no clue what I was talking about. A rock and roll concert? Wha?

Well, 32 years and 17 shows later, I still get that same feeling. A U2 show is what church should be. I frequently find myself very near tears. I know I'm not the only one.

Imagine how this song ends. Imagine it closing the show with 50,000 people singing along. What we might dismiss as "cheesy" on record will become a spiritual experience live.
Maroon Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I find it truly interesting the comparisons this song elicits, I've heard Snow Patrol, Journey, SYCMIOYO, and even Katy Perry. It's as if no one knows what to think of this song.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:37 PM
I'll soon be posting a custom trackorder in the appropriate thread because once again, the band has failed to put together a sonically cohesive order themselves, but in the meantime, I wanted to talk about this one because it's one of my favorites yet also one of the most frustrating.

It's interesting that the album begins and ends with a pair of songs with "love" and "light" in the title, and really underlines the thought put into the LP's themes. In both Lights of Home and Love is Bigger, the songs build to powerful, sing-alongs. But while Lights of Home lets its Hey Jude vibe continue long enough to be satisfying, this song pulls the rug out right when it's reaching its crescendo of full power, and then reprises the vocoded "oh oh oh" of the intro. My first instinct was thinking it was going to kick in again for another big dose of the feels, but then it just ends. Extremely anticlimactic and it actually makes me skeptical of keeping it as the big showstopping penultimate track before the coda of There Is A Light.

Crazy as it may sound to some, putting it in the #2 slot actually works really well, and reveals the album's big pop tendencies right out of the gate. And if you swap Lights of Home in its place, particularly the string version, it's a powerful, dramatic song to close the album and you still get a big choral vocal part that's similarly inspirational and serves the same purpose.

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote