Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Truly all of this. Plus, just stop with the acoustic covers of your electric songs. You have one of the greatest electric guitar players of all time in your band. Mostly seen this way because of all the electronic gadgetry that he has mastery of. Yet, let's watch him fumble around on an acoustic guitar and weaken this song terribly...

This is an excellent point. For the past couple of decades, pretty much, U2 seem to have fallen into a mindset that a song is at its "purest" without the effects, and have lost recognition that mastery of those effects is a skill in itself. A song sounding a bit underwhelming when played acoustically is no indictment of the songwriting when the whole point of the song was to use certain effects. It's like saying "oh, this song originally written on a guitar sounds like shit when played on a kazoo, it must be a bad song".

Take fucking advantage of having an effects wizard—oh, I'm sorry, in IE Bono dumb fucking phraseology, having a weapon of mass devotion—and let him loose on what he does best rather than stripping stuff back.

Yeah, they have this mastery of "songwriting" in their heads for whatever reason. Didn't they make some comment about Gone sounding better on an acoustic guitar? maddening.

You know, With or Without You became a worldwide best-selling, classic that has lived for the ages. You almost knew it would be as you first heard that piercing, echoey tone from the Edge, like nothing you've heard before and miles away from anything on the radio at that ti...

Bono barges in

WHOA WAIT, HOLD ON. That's really just a simple D, A, Bm that really could be better appreciated by giving it a good old strummin' on an acoustic guitar. I'm telling you, it would really get it down to it's basic elements!! :| :doh: :sad: :angry:

You know, With or Without You became a worldwide best-selling, classic that has lived for the ages. You almost knew it would be as you first heard that piercing, echoey tone from the Edge, like nothing you've heard before and miles away from anything on the radio at that ti...

Bono barges in

WHOA WAIT, HOLD ON. That's really just a simple D, A, Bm that really could be better appreciated by giving it a good old strummin' on an acoustic guitar. I'm telling you, it would really get it down to it's basic elements!! :| :doh: :sad: :angry:

Edge is just as guilty here too.

It makes you wonder if they were like this all along and it was the Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite types who brought them back to “the U2 sound” and the newer producers today just are “star struck” and go along with them or if U2 just now feel this is the way to go.

My understanding is that Eno didn’t like U2 (musically) and in the 90s tried to push them out of their comfort zone, so maybe it is just the evolution of U2.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think this may have been one of the (many) turning points.

I think Rick Rubin started them down this direction, and then Spiderman finished it off.

Edge is quoted in one of the interviews (can't recall, maybe Rolling Stone) about how the broadway experience really opened their eyes on how to craft a song.

So now we have tight, crisp 3 minute glances of what could be even greater masterpieces from them. The songs aren't bad, they're just missing what made U2, U2.

Edge seems to really have fallen in love with the acoustic guitar, and that's not his strength. Nothing wrong with playing to your weaknesses once and a while, but these remixes (though I do really like the acoustic Best Thing) should show the band they aren't meant for U2 Unplugged. Edge has always been his best when he tries to find the most creative sound for the song. Even if he has to go back to his chimes, they aren't bad if used properly (their cover of This Is has wonderful chime)

I really hope that the next album, assuming there is one, has them go back to creating landscapes instead of postcards. No more 3:10 min songs that rush through a tired old formula.

U2 isn't getting played on the Top 40. They aren't going to dominate the music scene again. Times have changed.

So maybe next time they get Danny and Brian, or Flood....or even Andy Barlow and destroy the "broadway" way of writing.

I think Rick Rubin started them down this direction, and then Spiderman finished it off.

Edge is quoted in one of the interviews (can't recall, maybe Rolling Stone) about how the broadway experience really opened their eyes on how to craft a song.

So now we have tight, crisp 3 minute glances of what could be even greater masterpieces from them. The songs aren't bad, they're just missing what made U2, U2.

Edge seems to really have fallen in love with the acoustic guitar, and that's not his strength. Nothing wrong with playing to your weaknesses once and a while, but these remixes (though I do really like the acoustic Best Thing) should show the band they aren't meant for U2 Unplugged. Edge has always been his best when he tries to find the most creative sound for the song. Even if he has to go back to his chimes, they aren't bad if used properly (their cover of This Is has wonderful chime)

I really hope that the next album, assuming there is one, has them go back to creating landscapes instead of postcards. No more 3:10 min songs that rush through a tired old formula.

U2 isn't getting played on the Top 40. They aren't going to dominate the music scene again. Times have changed.

So maybe next time they get Danny and Brian, or Flood....or even Andy Barlow and destroy the "broadway" way of writing.

I have to say that SOE has it's moments of atmosphere. Love is All, Landlady, 13, LIttle Things... Also great non-acoustic songs like Red Flag, Blackout, Summer of Love, Lights of Home, etc... And i love ALL those songs.
But its when they take songs that are just straight up made to be played full on electric and fumble it along on acoustic. Its sad, hollow, and kinda embarrassing.

I also hope that they do a final album that is more atmospheric, veering between gritty and dreamy - using some real Edge ingenuity.

Sorry this is a little late, but I was fortunate enough to go with my girlfriend to the concert in Washington on the 18th. Needless to say, the wait to see Love is Bigger performed live was worth it. There was an amazing moment after the song had ended, when the crowd broke out chanting the core melody of the song — it was an incredible moment to be apart of. Hopefully it is included in the film.

Here is the moment I am referring to, in the beginning part of the following video:

https://youtu.be/rrh3Dz2dDY0

Sorry this is a little late, but I was fortunate enough to go with my girlfriend to the concert in Washington on the 18th. Needless to say, the wait to see Love is Bigger performed live was worth it. There was an amazing moment after the song had ended, when the crowd broke out chanting the core melody of the song — it was an incredible moment to be apart of. Hopefully it is included in the film.

Here is the moment I am referring to, in the beginning part of the following video:

https://youtu.be/rrh3Dz2dDY0

I was there. Maybe the best song of the night.

Billboard has an article indicating that a dance version of the song is now a top 10 hit coming in at #9 this week.

While I love this song, of the “remixes” are what are making it chart in this chart...I have no idea how. They are almost universally awful! Although the Beck remix is very cool.

Heard it live last night at MSG.....very strong performance and definitely one of the best new songs played live. It has a really anthemic feel driven by Larry. I would say of all new songs from NLOTH forward, this is the one they nailed best live. Well done fellas!

Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way is now at:

#3 on Dance Club Songs (the highest in nearly a decade)
#15 on the Adult Contemporary (the highest of any U2 song)
#24 on the Adult Top 40

..and seemingly trending upwards. So it looks like they're finding success with the song as a single. It will be interesting to see what the ultimate peak ends as.

It must be doing well, because I just heard it on a Top 40 station. I hadn't heard a new U2 song on the radio since September, when an Alternative station played The Best Thing a few times before it vanished. If a new U2 song gets played here, especially on mainstream radio, it must be doing really well.

Heard it live last night at MSG.....very strong performance and definitely one of the best new songs played live. It has a really anthemic feel driven by Larry. I would say of all new songs from NLOTH forward, this is the one they nailed best live. Well done fellas!

Yeah, i felt the same during Vegas. Ultimate closer and it sounded really good. The visuals of the band playing on the screen is really moving. Wasn't a big fan of the song upon the album release but hearing/seeing it live change my tone.

Back
Top Bottom