Love is All We Have Left = 400?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HolyMeximofoJoe

The Fly
This is the first thread im making so hopefully it gos over well....
I posted this on another thread but so far haven't got any responses and im really curious to know what other's think of this...

From what I read on another site a while ago there was this tune that Bono said he wrote while he was in Africa which he called " Love is All We Have Left" he described it as an old broadway tune and thought it was a Frank Sinatra song.

So fast forward a while later and the Beach Clips come out and the first one i heard was 400 or Can't You See. Right when I started listening I thought this must be the Frank Sinatra song.

Now I have only heard about 8 songs by Frank Sinatra and i don't think he's ever used falsetto and have never listened to Broadway, but that song Bono wrote for Frank was piano driven and can hear strings thought the song (Two Shots..), and 400 is piano driven and you can hear strings during the chorus, and I can definitley imagine Frank singing the verse. So do you think it is possible that 400 could've been "Love is All We Have Left"?.... Or am i just thinking too much?

I think it could be a bit of both: It may be the "Frank Sinatra song", but I also fear you could be thinking too much.

:wink:

I all seriousness, I don't think it's the same song. Why? I can't answer that one, but it didn't really give me the same feeling (as a Frank Sinatra song) when I first heard 400 (which I must admit was a long time ago...and my memory isn't always the best). If I recall, though, it gave me more of a Beatles vibe if anything.

Here's the larger question we should all be pondering: If it is indeed 400, will 'Window in the Skies' be the best U2 song of the new millenium so far?

400 is the one beach song i wasn't all that excited about. I'm even a much bigger fan of "thank you". ah well. maybe it'll sound better in it's revamped state. Or maybe window in the skies will be another song entirely.. In any case I'm sure it'll be good but I dont think it'll be the best song of the new millenium for u2 if it indeed stems from 400.

I agree that I don't get a Frank Sinatra vibe when listening to 400. It reminds me much more of the Beatles.

Also, let's face it ... "Beautiful Day" will probably always be the best U2 song of the new millenium. I think 404 could challenge it, though.

U2freakboy said:
I agree that I don't get a Frank Sinatra vibe when listening to 400. It reminds me much more of the Beatles.

Also, let's face it ... "Beautiful Day" will probably always be the best U2 song of the new millenium. I think 404 could challenge it, though.
Not just challenge it, but eat it for breakfast, and possibly even dessert, if not dinner. No, for dinner as well....and it this point it wouldn't be too crazy to even say.....wait for it......lunch.

It will be so massive a single, in fact, that U2 might not even release it for fear of destroying the band with too much popularity. And that says a lot.

The Slow Loris said:

It will be so massive a single, in fact, that U2 might not even release it for fear of destroying the band with too much popularity. And that says a lot.

It won't be bad popularity though, because its such a good song. Easily my favourite beachclip.
I just can't see how 'Love is all we have left' would fit in the song though ... I thought it would be something like 'oh can't you see..' :hmm:

partygirlvox said:

It won't be bad popularity though, because its such a good song. Easily my favourite beachclip.
I just can't see how 'Love is all we have left' would fit in the song though ... I thought it would be something like 'oh can't you see..' :hmm:
Wait, are we talking about the same beach clip? 404?

Hey, there's no one that loves 404 more than me. The thought of it never getting released as a single, or at least on an album makes me want to throw up. :mad: But, Beautiful Day is very stiff competition.

u2 have made so poor choices considering all the recent material from bomb and these beach clips they havent released.

U2freakboy said:
Hey, there's no one that loves 404 more than me. The thought of it never getting released as a single, or at least on an album makes me want to throw up. :mad: But, Beautiful Day is very stiff competition.
And that's exactly the problem with it. It's too stiff, just as you say. What I like about 404 is that both the verses and chorus sound so effortless. I've always found the verse melody in 'Beautiful Day' to sort of plod along. But it's a very uplifting song, one that really sticks out on the radio in a subtle way. It's not my favourite song from ATYCLB, though (that honour goes to 'Kite').

You're in luck on Kite ... another website is reporting U2 rehearsed it today in Australia, so they'll probably be playing it Tuesday night. 404 definitely sounds effortless. As Bono has said before, I believe, the best songs are the ones that sound like they were already written and have been around forever ... 404 has that sound.

U2freakboy said:
You're in luck on Kite ... another website is reporting U2 rehearsed it today in Australia, so they'll probably be playing it Tuesday night. 404 definitely sounds effortless. As Bono has said before, I believe, the best songs are the ones that sound like they were already written and have been around forever ... 404 has that sound.
Yes, yes, exactly. It sounds like it's been a classic for several lifetimes already. It's like you've heard it before, but in a past or future life, cause you don't ever remember hearing it in this life. That's the mark of an effortless sounding classic.

The Slow Loris said:

Yes, yes, exactly. It sounds like it's been a classic for several lifetimes already. It's like you've heard it before, but in a past or future life, cause you don't ever remember hearing it in this life. That's the mark of an effortless sounding classic.

:applaud:

thank you all for your comments i was waiting a loooong time just for 1 response..... and from reading some responses looks like i might have been thinking too much about this oh well :shrug:

The Slow Loris said:

Haha...great description, oh great Loris! :wink:

404 really is a keeper. I hope and pray that we get it on some album at some point, whether it is WITS or not. It'd be such a shame for it to never see more light of day than it has.

Utoo said:

Haha...great description, oh great Loris! :wink:

404 really is a keeper. I hope and pray that we get it on some album at some point, whether it is WITS or not. It'd be such a shame for it to never see more light of day than it has.
I agree, it HAS to be released at some point. It's just too good. I mean, way too good. They're likely saving it for the next album.

*Loris gets back to his usual, all around great doings*

Back
Top Bottom