Lights of Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you nailed it. Near-death situation is better served by the strings.

But I still think it should be near the end of the album, not the beginning.

I think you nailed it. Near-death situation is better served by the strings.

But I still think it should be near the end of the album, not the beginning.

I don’t know, I love the first “loud” words of the album being “I shouldn’t be here cause I should be dead” just sets the mood for the entire album. It really grabs your attention right away. I think it’s placement is pretty good.

I don’t know, I love the first “loud” words of the album being “I shouldn’t be here cause I should be dead” just sets the mood for the entire album. It really grabs your attention right away. I think it’s placement is pretty good.

100% agree

The only placement issue I have is with Blackout

Not really, but I haven’t spent too much time trying
Same. I actually haven't thought about it much but it definitely is awkward after Landlady. Sonically it really feels like an outlier on the album.

I tried putting it after Love Is All We Have Left a few minutes ago and it actually does flow pretty well and fits in with the near death experience. The whole idea "when the lights go out" is one that I've always interpreted as loss of faith and hope, which flows well into the opening lines of Lights of Home. The rest of the album is then more in line with the letters to loved ones... Etc. I'll have to give it a few more listens but you're right, the placement as is just doesn't work well.

Last edited:
I do as well. Have you found a better place for it?

I posted my custom tracklist elsewhere but what I did was try to group the political stuff together in a block before moving back to the personal stuff.

So after a beginning section of pop songs, I have

Get Out (I hate this song and only used the end when Kendrick's speech starts, it actually works because of the different music behind that part)
American Soul
The Blackout
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day

The rough guitar of American Soul connects to Blackout's abrasive opening, but the end of the song is more atmospheric and soft, and connects to Summer of Love's groove-based vibe.

This tune should be a single – so good, so good.

On a related note...

PLEASE DON'T RELEASE LOVE IS BIGGER IT'S LAAAAAME!

Thank you.

Have tried but still can't get into this song. Just not my type of U2. Would have been very happy with the far superior Book of Your Heart taking this song's place on the album.

The album version is fine, but as soon as I heard St.Peter's Strings I immediately replaced it on my redesigned SOE playlist and never looked back. So grandiose and dramatic. I'm absolutely ga-ga about how Love Is All We Have Left leads into Lights/Strings. It's a wonderful one-two punch to open the album, one of the best the band has ever done in my view. I was iffy on Lights' coda at first, but I adore it now. It's so earnest and idealistic - two of the traits that made me fall in love with U2 in the first damn place.

Now, could there be a better third song, flow-wise? Yes, although I don't have an answer. Best Thing is a bit jarring, tone-wise.

I'm absolutely ga-ga about how Love Is All We Have Left leads into Lights/Strings. It's a wonderful one-two punch to open the album, one of the best the band has ever done in my view.

Now, could there be a better third song, flow-wise? Yes, although I don't have an answer. Best Thing is a bit jarring, tone-wise.

Correction...it's a wonderful one-two punch to open the album, it could have been one of the best the band has ever done. Unfortunately the band felt that the acoustic guitar riff version was the route to go. I agree with you though, I subbed in the strings version and it is an amazing opening.

As for a better third song, I don't know. I actually love Best Thing but I can see what you mean about a jarring switch in tone. I actually think the Sci-Fi Soul Mix that was replaced last minute with the final version flows well out of Lights of Home.

Agree it is an excellent opening 1-2 combo. the big issue for me with LOH is that it's way too quiet compared to the opening track. Sounds as if it belongs on a different album altogether.

and the transition to Best Thing is horrendous. Damn what were they thinking.

Last edited:
Lights of home would do really good as a single, in my opinion. I don't know if I said this already.

Love the album version of the song. The “free yourself to be yourself” part seems forced to me though. It’s anticlimactic and I change the song when it’s about to drop.

Correction...it's a wonderful one-two punch to open the album, it could have been one of the best the band has ever done. Unfortunately the band felt that the acoustic guitar riff version was the route to go. I agree with you though, I subbed in the strings version and it is an amazing opening.

As for a better third song, I don't know. I actually love Best Thing but I can see what you mean about a jarring switch in tone. I actually think the Sci-Fi Soul Mix that was replaced last minute with the final version flows well out of Lights of Home.

An amazing one-two punch to start the album regardless of the version of Lights used, but I do agree that it is better with the strings version. Also, I feel that as Bono is waking from his near-death experience in Lights of Home, the "free yourself" coda is perfectly placed and not just tacked on as some have said. Of course, there is the link to Iris which has been discussed on the boards before. Additionally, whether it relates to the theme to write as if you are dead or just letting go of everything that keeps us from appreciating the most important things in our lives, this part of the song sets Bono free to say what he wants to say and not care what anyone might think about it. That is why Best Thing is crucial as the next song because Bono gets the chance to make his first wide-awake statement. And what does he do? He expresses his true feelings for his wife/best friend. Best Thing also captures the defiant joy that Bono said is a major theme to the album.

I also believe that Lights of Home is perfectly placed on the album. The only other place it could have been was the first track if Love is All was left off. Placing Lights of Home near the end of the album might work sonically, but it makes little sense lyrically and thematically.

Don't get the love for the string version,it's fine but just a cool bonus track. The album version has more punch,and that bass in the second verse seals it for me.

Agree it is an excellent opening 1-2 combo. the big issue for me with LOH is that it's way too quiet compared to the opening track. Sounds as if it belongs on a different album altogether.

and the transition to Best Thing is horrendous. Damn what were they thinking.
I noticed that as well,always crank it up before it starts. Then best thing blows my head off!

Love the album version of the song. The “free yourself to be yourself” part seems forced to me though. It’s anticlimactic and I change the song when it’s about to drop.

Jesus Christ what the fuck is wrong with you people?

Don't get the love for the string version,it's fine but just a cool bonus track. The album version has more punch,and that bass in the second verse seals it for me.

I also prefer the strings version, but I must agree that the bassline in the second verse of the album version is great.
Maybe they should've make an hybrid version of the two versions as fan-made file I heard right after the album leak.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom