Lights of Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 had a rare miss here involving this song. When it comes to alternate versions of their songs, they have always made the right choice.

Vertigo>Native Sun
ABOY
Sometimes you Can’t Make it
NLOTH(this was close)
Sleep like a Baby
Troubles

But this time....they messed up. The strings version is so much more interesting than the album cut. Ugh!!!!
No.

We need to take this to a vote!!!

Taste Great - Strings

Less Filling - Album Cut

(BTW- If you get the above reference then you are old)

I vote Strings.

Prefer the album version slightly.

The last track I remember that had 2 versions this close in quality was Electrical Storm.

Album version for me. It sounds more like the band playing together in a room, which I prefer to something that sounds like it relies on other performers (the strings). The only thing I really miss from the strings version is the deep, menacing piano notes in the chorus.

Definitely the original album version.

Seems to be a “coming back from the dead” type of song. Love the inclusion of “Free yourself to be yourself” at the end.

I don't think it fits with the song before it in any way. Spacy synth sounds and ruminating Bono to a little blues lick?

It fits with the ones after it. The first song is not like anything else on the album; it’s kind of a Prologue and 13 is the Epilogue, with the “actual” album of 11 songs in between. Or that’s how I see it.

While I don’t know that musically, the song fits well in the 2nd slot, lyrically it does. Really sets the tone of the album.

I think the sing-along at the end is odd coming so early in the album. I love it but it feels like something that belongs much later.

Yeah I tried a different tracklist essentially swapping Lights Of Home and The Blackout. Not sure if it worked that late in the album either though.

Album version. And this song is as fresh a sound I've heard from U2 in a long time. Enjoy the brooding atmosphere on this album and this song has that with the morbidity of it

It fits with the ones after it. The first song is not like anything else on the album; it’s kind of a Prologue and 13 is the Epilogue, with the “actual” album of 11 songs in between. Or that’s how I see it.
Agreed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the transition between Love is All We Have Left and Lights. It might sound a bit jarring, but maybe that's the point.

So basically they could put any song after LIAWHL and you'd think it was a fine transition?
Nope.

It. Doesn't. Flow.
Yeah, it doesn't. But there's more to sequencing an album than making sure every song is sonically similar to the songs that come before and after it. And I like that the transition is jarring, which I alluded to previously. Anyway, have fun with your alternate track list, no one's telling you your idea is wrong.

This is one of the 5 Star songs on the album for me. I think it works well after Love Is All... and kicks the album into high gear. Dig the St. Peter's Strings Mix too, but prefer the album cut.

It does flow.

Two things come to mind - the start of Pearl Jam's Ten, where the meandering master/slave is interrupted by Once, and in U2 world, Ode To Joy into Zoo Station.

I do agree that the 1st and 13th tracks act as a defacto introduction and epilogue, and no, not every song would work after Love Is All We Have Left. This one does, because of just how jarring the entrance is, and the theme of the song.

Back
Top Bottom