Letterman - Magnificent Performance (3/3/09) - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
hey, congrats on getting in! that's awesome!
ha thanks! it was quite the day yesterday. i went with my sister, we were stuck in traffic getting through Hartford for 40 minutes, usually takes literally 5-10 minutes, so we said ah shit, this sucks. missed the first train from Greenwich (CT), but got into grand central around 12:04, walked to Broadway, noticed the podium and the NYC Dept. of Transportation sign above 53rd ST. and said, no way, they're going to have a press conference for the U2 way?? We had read about it on Monday night. So we huddle up on the side there and they allow a certain number of people in front of the podium, and we got to be one of them. so we were like 5 feet away from them...granted, it was fucking cold standing outside for an hour and half! then we went to get our letterman tickets, then to eat lunch. they told us to be outside of Roseland (theatre across the street to line everybody up in) between 3 and 3:30. Notice some gates set up, Adam, Larry and Edge roll in in a black SUV, get out and go inside, didn't sign anything just waved. Next car comes, it's Bono, he gets out, signs a few things, walks past me asking for an autograph to somebody else but because I had a book (Bono in Conversation) he smirked when he saw it, came back and signed it, and crossed out "Bono" on the title page and replaced it with a huge autograph of him. Then we got to go Letterman which was okay when U2 came on we wanted to jump out of our seats, which we basically did, but then the world wide pants people came over and said you HAVE to sit!!!! so we were forced to sit...though the performance was fucking awesome and it was a great time. lame production people though, very lame. I heard a few of them muttering while we were all walking in "I don't want to deal with THESE people today..." okay, well, don't have U2 on your show for a week straight then, jackass.

that is all for my really long run on paragraph. Oh and we met Dallas Schoo after the show for a minute. He went to go buy chocolate for U2 apparently and my sister was like, We like the way the guitars sound!! haha. he said thanks and smiled and said its a great record isnt it? truly amazing and then gave her some candy, lol.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #152
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Amazing performance, much better than the BBC one which somewhat disappointed me.

One thing I have to ask though, why wasn't Edge doing backing vocals?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #153
War Child

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Fantastic, just the beginning was ..WOW
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
ha thanks! it was quite the day yesterday. i went with my sister, we were stuck in traffic getting through Hartford for 40 minutes, usually takes literally 5-10 minutes, so we said ah shit, this sucks. missed the first train from Greenwich (CT), but got into grand central around 12:04, walked to Broadway, noticed the podium and the NYC Dept. of Transportation sign above 53rd ST. and said, no way, they're going to have a press conference for the U2 way?? We had read about it on Monday night. So we huddle up on the side there and they allow a certain number of people in front of the podium, and we got to be one of them. so we were like 5 feet away from them...granted, it was fucking cold standing outside for an hour and half! then we went to get our letterman tickets, then to eat lunch. they told us to be outside of Roseland (theatre across the street to line everybody up in) between 3 and 3:30. Notice some gates set up, Adam, Larry and Edge roll in in a black SUV, get out and go inside, didn't sign anything just waved. Next car comes, it's Bono, he gets out, signs a few things, walks past me asking for an autograph to somebody else but because I had a book (Bono in Conversation) he smirked when he saw it, came back and signed it, and crossed out "Bono" on the title page and replaced it with a huge autograph of him. Then we got to go Letterman which was okay when U2 came on we wanted to jump out of our seats, which we basically did, but then the world wide pants people came over and said you HAVE to sit!!!! so we were forced to sit...though the performance was fucking awesome and it was a great time. lame production people though, very lame. I heard a few of them muttering while we were all walking in "I don't want to deal with THESE people today..." okay, well, don't have U2 on your show for a week straight then, jackass.

that is all for my really long run on paragraph. Oh and we met Dallas Schoo after the show for a minute. He went to go buy chocolate for U2 apparently and my sister was like, We like the way the guitars sound!! haha. he said thanks and smiled and said its a great record isnt it? truly amazing and then gave her some candy, lol.
that's an awesome story!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Sorry but I think it doesnt sound good at all.
It sounds too slow for some reason and it drags a bit.
Bono is not sounding good in this song esp when you compare it to Breath.
Man the "I was born"part is so incredibly weak vocalwise, it is shocking. it's a shame because I love magnificent on the record. they have A LOT of work to do for his tour. up till now the only song that holds up is Breath whch is a shame because they got a great album to promote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
that's an awesome story!
thanks! and some picture evidence for the doubting thomas' out there

Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

how cold was it popacrobat? i know yesterday in Wisconsin we didn't get to 20 degrees.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

it was about 24-25 or so. but, there was a decent amount of wind, and we were only in the sun for about 25 minutes of the hour + waiting or so for the press conference, so we were in the shade otherwise, which was cold. Plus the streets were slushy and icy, so my body itself wasn't cold, but my fingers, face and feet were frozen. and i'm used to the cold, i ski a lot and have skied since I was three, but it was my feet that were killing me from the freezing. But it was very fucking cold. Everybody was bundled to the max.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #159
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:45 AM
Great story popacrobat - congrats
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
it was about 24-25 or so. but, there was a decent amount of wind, and we were only in the sun for about 25 minutes of the hour + waiting or so for the press conference, so we were in the shade otherwise, which was cold. Plus the streets were slushy and icy, so my body itself wasn't cold, but my fingers, face and feet were frozen. and i'm used to the cold, i ski a lot and have skied since I was three, but it was my feet that were killing me from the freezing. But it was very fucking cold. Everybody was bundled to the max.
i can only imagine! wind is the worst, IMO.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In Larry Land...Mr. Mullen has dragged me over to the dark side. Who knew this place was made of hardwood floors :P
Quote:

Wow that's awesome
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

shit....im in NY for a work trip but came in last night. what bad timing

going to check out U2 street today. GREAT performance
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #163
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
thanks! and some picture evidence for the doubting thomas' out there

lovely stuff popacrobat . . . what a fantastic day . . . hope the memories keep you warm for a long time to come
Old 03-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

thanks everyone! and yes, i'll be remembering this day for awhile. it's so funny too, because the press conference and the autograph just fell into our laps. We didn't plan on that. We just planned on getting the tickets, lining up early so we could be some of the first ones to get them, but, then there was the press conference and we were like hey a-okay with us. then bono just happened to drive by when we went to the meeting place. just one of those days where everything goes right.

and yes mikal, the wind was the killer. if it were just sunlight and 24 degrees, it'd have been gorgeous. but the shade, wind and slush, yeesh. cold. and i forgot my jacket leaving, whoops.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #165
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Great story - good for you!

I haven't watched it yet. I just had a DVR hooked up, and last night's Letterman was the first thing I tried to record - we'll see if I did it right or not when I get home.

Tags
letterman, magnificent, u2