Letterman - Breathe Performance (3/2/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really enjoyed it of course but I also can see this being a tough song for non hardcore U2 fans to get into. The reason I say that is at the beginning it is sort of rough... the song really only takes off when they get to the "waaaaaalk out" part. I love it but I can see people going "Huh?" at the lyrics and the almost talking way bono delivers them.

Awesome song live though... can not wait to hear it on tour.

A simple proof of a band performing at their best after just a few more rehearsals. Big improvement since the "french" performance and eventually all new songs will find their way to live perfection. (As always with this amazing band 90% of their songs sound better played live!!!!!!!!!!!) :applaud:

I've sent this to Sicy for the sticky thread but here's the link..

U2_Breathe_02-03-2009_Letterman.flv (encoded directly from the HD video available @ U2torrents, video 750kbps 512x288, audio 256kbps)

http://www.send space.com/file/et9t9d (43mb) delete the space in the link!

Thanks for that!!

So do they just perform there every night or did Letterman also do an interview with the guys??

It was great, just watched it again this morning!!! The band knows how to work a crowd and they are already in full on live mode, the tour is going to be amazing!!! I know the start of the song will put off some folks, but I like when the boys change things up, can't wait for tonight!

David Letterman is really terrible. I tried so hard to watch until U2 came on but I had to turn it off. When he was speaking to Katie Couric about Obama and then trashing Bush I almost puked. I am not suggesting that Bush was the greatest President in the world but it really goes to show you the bias we have in our media. Katie Couric is supposed to report news but it is obvious she is in love with Obama. They were almost gaga over him. Letterman kept saying "how about Obama he's really doing some things isn't he?" If doing things means spending money we don't have and pushing our already sagging economy deaper into recession than yes I guess he is really doing some things.

And to suggest that the White House had been closed for the last 8 years burns me up. In case he missed it we have been at war for the last 7 years, dealt with major natural disasters throughout the world, given more money to Africa to help fight the spread of AIDS, battled corrupt CEOs from Clinton's and Bush's days, and recovered from the recession we had following 9/11. Bush is not perfect but I was proud to serve in the military while he was President and proud that I did my part to help keep our country safe.

With that being said I'm glad to hear U2 did a great job. :wink:

Fair play to you. You should always be proud to serve in your country's military.
I'm from the UK and I recognise what US and UK troops did over the past 8 years.

RPRB...

you are not alone, but it seems in the minority...:hug:

In addition...I LOVED THE PERFORMANCE on letterman!!!:heart::heart::heart::

I just finished my first listen thru of the album - Breathe is my fave, and it sounded FABULOUS on Letterman! That Bono sure can whip up a crowd, can't he? :heart::heart::heart: it live.

If by "a plodding rocker that doesn't go anywhere" you mean "the best song on the album.":D

Being 'the best song on (this) album' doesn't mean shit. The song is boring, it never takes off, and will never be a classic. If these guys are still playing shows five years from now, this song will not be on the set-list. It just happens to be one of the only songs on the album that they can use to pump up a crowd.

Thanks for that!!

So do they just perform there every night or did Letterman also do an interview with the guys??

Last night they had that little bit with them shovelling snow (after the monologue and when Dave is at his desk, but before the first guest), and then they came on at the end to sing. If you are watching/recording in America, Dave's show always goes over (past 12:35am), so set your DVRs and VCRs to go over a few minutes, just in case.

No interview last night, but perhaps that will be at the end of the week. Or you can find people who caught the second taping last night which will air on Friday, and perhaps they have further info.

:)

Good stuff. Bono always knows how to get a crowd going. Wish I could go to one of the shows, but I'll have fun watching anyway.

Boots for Friday, so what will tonight be, Magnificent perhaps? NLOTH? Those 3 are almost a lock, I think, so that leaves one more song. Could be a "classic" or maybe Crazy Tonight. I really don't think they're going to do MOS as much as people on here may wish they would.

I'm putting my money on Magnificent. I really hope U2 plays 5 new songs showing everyone how awesome the new stuff is & how in tune U2 is pushing forward. I bet Friday's show will be 2 songs (1 new/1 classic).

I would be shocked if we got anything more than the 3 songs we've seen them do live from this album so far (Breathe, Magnificent, GOYB). The other two nights, it'll probably be Vertigo and Beautiful Day. They tend to not take a lot of risks on National TV, so I'm guessing they'll be sticking to the same songs they did on the BBC rooftop show.

That said, I hope I am 100% wrong about this! I'd love to hear some other new songs done live.

David Letterman is really terrible. I tried so hard to watch until U2 came on but I had to turn it off. When he was speaking to Katie Couric about Obama and then trashing Bush I almost puked. I am not suggesting that Bush was the greatest President in the world but it really goes to show you the bias we have in our media. Katie Couric is supposed to report news but it is obvious she is in love with Obama. They were almost gaga over him. Letterman kept saying "how about Obama he's really doing some things isn't he?" If doing things means spending money we don't have and pushing our already sagging economy deaper into recession than yes I guess he is really doing some things.

Letterman has turned into a stale grumpy old-man. He hasn't been funny in ages (though I did like the "squirrell salting his nuts " joke in the monologue). He also used to at least try to be politically neutral when he had news/politics guests on, but now he lets his left-wing biases out into the open all too obviously. The Couric interview was atrocious, not only in terms of substance, but simply in that anyone apparently takes her seriously. She should go back to celebrity interviews and leave real news to serious, thoughtful people. It's a shame he devoted so much time to Couric and other nonsense when he could have had U2 play another song or at least do an interview (then again, I doubt an interview with Letterman would be elightening in any way).

And to suggest that the White House had been closed for the last 8 years burns me up. In case he missed it we have been at war for the last 7 years, dealt with major natural disasters throughout the world, given more money to Africa to help fight the spread of AIDS, battled corrupt CEOs from Clinton's and Bush's days, and recovered from the recession we had following 9/11. Bush is not perfect but I was proud to serve in the military while he was President and proud that I did my part to help keep our country safe.

Sure but two people talking about things you disagree with does not a biased media make. There are plenty of differing opinions from others out there.

Letterman has turned into a stale grumpy old-man. He hasn't been funny in ages (though I did like the "squirrell salting his nuts " joke in the monologue). He also used to at least try to be politically neutral when he had news/politics guests on, but now he lets his left-wing biases out into the open all too obviously. The Couric interview was atrocious, not only in terms of substance, but simply in that anyone apparently takes her seriously. She should go back to celebrity interviews and leave real news to serious, thoughtful people. It's a shame he devoted so much time to Couric and other nonsense when he could have had U2 play another song or at least do an interview (then again, I doubt an interview with Letterman would be elightening in any way).

I myself have always been a Conan fan because he is genuinely much funnier. There seems to be a strange disconnect with Letterman. The grump factor sort of gets in the way of the funny for me.

Given that U2 was on Conan for a full episode last time around, I can't help but wonder if they would have done the full week treatment on Conan instead if he was still on right now.

Then again, Letterman is on a full hour earlier, so that should help broaden the audience a bit. Man I can't wait for Conan to come back.

Sure but two people talking about things you disagree with does not a biased media make. There are plenty of differing opinions from others out there.

Clawgrabber, if Couric didn't hold herself out as a serious NEWS-woman, rather than an editorial/opinion journalist/pundit, you'd have a point. But Couric is supposed to be representative of serious, hard news in this country - it's a sick joke.

Back
Top Bottom