Let's talk these new leaked demos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hoping they are not starting from scratch for sure back in Feb, you figure after all this time, the DM stuff should be pretty stable and let's hope by nit sitting on it for so long has caused re-evaluation.

Edge did mention that it's hard to get objectivity in the studio so they have to take breaks. I'm pretty sure they have tons more developed material but with this band it often changes quite a lot in the last few months before the album is finished. Even then the songs evolve after playing them live.

I think people are getting excited because they want to believe.

Traders get hold of IEM's and rehearsals that don't see the full light of day and stay rarities, even in this day and age.

It is fairly obviously a live jam, and the presence of Terry (given keys and guitar at the same time) lends itself to a 360 soundcheck.

The dates could easily relate to the date the file was made, and unless it was leaked from an official source, it could relate to ANYTHING else. If I relabel it 24/05/2012 would you all believe that.

I think there are only some things we can read into this:

It is U2 (or at least bono)

It fits wit the descriptions of some of their newer work

Bono's voice sounds recent (IE 2009 or later)

It is an IEM (no click track as they are jamming)

They are from the same song (just a little separated)

It is a very broad sketch (Bongolese)

We have no dates, song titles or anything that gives us any other clues.

Even if it's just a soundcheck jam from last year, is that not something to get at least a little excited about?

Even if it's just a soundcheck jam from last year, is that not something to get at least a little excited about?

Absolutely, all I am saying is that people seem to have jumped 12 steps forward to "It is a studio recording of a new song from February this year"

That sounds like it was recorded at a soundcheck because of the piano sound. That sounds much more like it's through a PA than from a studio, doesn't it?

The dates could easily relate to the date the file was made, and unless it was leaked from an official source, it could relate to ANYTHING else. If I relabel it 24/05/2012 would you all believe that.

Absolutely, it could. Which is why I said it was only at least 50% likely. I'll take something at face value until I'm given a reason not to. I know pessimism is kind of a religion around here, but just because you can imagine rain on the parade is not proof of it. It does appear to have a date. It also appears to be labeled "HQ" which has a certain likely connotation with this band. None of that would stand up in a court of law, but nothing is at stake. If we take the file name at face value it seems to suggest the recording is from Hanover Quay in February.

I say the vocal sounds quite recent. It's a hard thing for anyone to put their finger on, but I grade that as Bono's post-360 voice.

This could be from Elevation, Vertigo or 360. I do not think it's worth getting excited about.

I'm probably one of the most optimistic people here as it pertains to U2, but this is nothing to even think about other than "huh, cool, it's a nice novelty minute of a soundcheck from some tour in this past decade."

Absolutely, it could. Which is why I said it was only at least 50% likely. I'll take something at face value until I'm given a reason not to. I know pessimism is kind of a religion around here, but just because you can imagine rain on the parade is not proof of it. It does appear to have a date. It also appears to be labeled "HQ" which has a certain likely connotation with this band. None of that would stand up in a court of law, but nothing is at stake. If we take the file name at face value it seems to suggest the recording is from Hanover Quay in February.

I say the vocal sounds quite recent. It's a hard thing for anyone to put their finger on, but I grade that as Bono's post-360 voice.

HQ and that date - exactly what I would put if I was trying on a prank. Which is pretty much what Blue Room admitted to...

HQ and that date - exactly what I would put if I was trying on a prank. Which is pretty much what Blue Room admitted to...

But.... where's the prank? It's U2 jamming on a musical idea we've never heard before. It's obviously not from 5 or 10 years ago. I mean, I don't think anyone thought this was the new single, did they?

Label Shmabel. That's definitely Bono and pretty probably U2, and that's a recent vocal.

haha, ok, it's probably not elevation.

but there's still a very, very, very good chance that what we all just listened to is six or seven years old.

haha, ok, it's probably not elevation.

but there's still a very, very, very good chance that what we all just listened to is six or seven years old.

I'll happily agree it could be a year old. I'll allow it could be two or three, but I get very skeptical if you want to push it farther than that.

My ears judge it's more likely than not to be post-360.

Again, that doesn't mean it's the new single or make any giant claim. We know they have been working on 17 albums over the last three years. It's amazing we haven't gotten more morsels than this!

It's labeled HQ 2012. Unless I get a reason to think that's not true, I assume it could be.

There are lots of reasons to think that the label of the sample is irrelevant. I 100% guarantee that what we heard is not from 2012. I would be floored if it were from 2011 or 2010 as well.

There are lots of reasons to think that the label of the sample is irrelevant. I 100% guarantee that what we heard is not from 2012. I would be floored if it were from 2011 or 2010 as well.

No. There are plausible scenarios wherein the label could be irrelevant. That's not logically the same as reasons to think it is.

If a girl tells me she's 21, she could logically be lying. Maybe she wants to trick me into buying her some alcohol? But that isn't enough reason to assume she's lying.

And what do you base your floorable-opinion that it's so old on?

Right, it's still a snippet of something we haven't heard before. My own guess is it's from some soundcheck from any random point on the 360 tour. (Just my knee-jerk reaction; I only listened once, I haven't spent 5 hours analyzing every inhalation trying to pinpoint the vocal era.)

But the big prank was to put it out there as if "OMG you guys, this is new stuff that is in contention for one of the new albums" - why else would it be labeled from this year, from the recording studio if not to make us think that "new song as in NEW SONG."

Right, it's still a snippet of something we haven't heard before. My own guess is it's from some soundcheck from any random point on the 360 tour.

But the big prank was to put it out there as if "OMG you guys, this is new stuff that is in contention for one of the new albums" - why else would it be labeled from this year, from the recording studio if not to make us think that "new song as in NEW SONG."

Well, if the prank was to make us that it was the new big song, I would assume it fooled absolutely no one. The track may have been recorded in 2009 or yesterday, in Hanover Quay, New Jersey, or on Paradise Island, but it's an early U2 demo. No more and no less.

No, I meant like from a recent session with x, y or z producer. It's clearly unfinished, so I don't think the intent was to be like "this is their next single from whatever project gets released."

But the way other sites were picking up on the "news," it came across to me like that was the assumption they were making.

No, I meant like from a recent session with x, y or z producer. It's clearly unfinished, so I don't think the intent was to be like "this is their next single from whatever project gets released."

But the way other sites were picking up on the "news," it came across to me like that was the assumption they were making.

Well, I didn't check them out. But what do you expect?

It's just a demo. Does it tell us anything about the band's new direction? It just tells us what mood they were in one day, no more or less than that.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue here at this point, so I'm just going to post this picture of another planet crashing into earth:

AGzyO.gif

I like this band they call U2.

..... that's all I've got left in me tonight.

Goodnight folks, tip your waitress!

It sounds very TUF-ish and it more like a jam at soundcheck than a studio session. But I don't think it's older than the 360 Tour, either; we know they were messing around a lot with new material on the tour, so I don't see any reason to think it's older than that. And if it has been around for several years, why is it just now showing up? Someone probably just took an IEM recording and cut these two sections out to make it sound like they're from the studio. It's interesting that there are just these two short clips; there may have been something in between that would have given us more hints about its origins. But who really cares where it came from? It's still new to us.

Back
Top Bottom