Let's send a collective prayer out to U2 during this last recording push - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 01:26 AM
All That You Can't Leave Behind I've always found to be unique for them. It's like adult contemporary but done well. I like it. It's a chill album. Although I would've much rather they gone down the "Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Stateless" route.

I'm not sure that the Bomb looks back to the past...it definitely feels like it's consciously trying to channel their 80's energy. It actually sounds like the album that would've happened if they quit after Rattle and Hum and returned 15 years later. To me there's no 90's residue on Bomb. It's steeped in their 80's image. But to try and explain that with the songs and music, technically, I can't say it's that easy...it's more to do with the energy and earnestness of it.

I don't care about looking back as long as the music's good. What bothered me about Bomb is that it sounds like they took everything that U2 haters HATE about U2 and amped it up to the extreme. It's like the album that would torture Henry Rollins. And me, to a much lesser degree, for I know they know better.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:12 AM   #77
War Child

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozeeko View Post
All That You Can't Leave Behind I've always found to be unique for them. It's like adult contemporary but done well. I like it. It's a chill album. Although I would've much rather they gone down the "Ground Beneath Her Feet" and "Stateless" route.

I'm not sure that the Bomb looks back to the past...it definitely feels like it's consciously trying to channel their 80's energy. It actually sounds like the album that would've happened if they quit after Rattle and Hum and returned 15 years later. To me there's no 90's residue on Bomb. It's steeped in their 80's image. But to try and explain that with the songs and music, technically, I can't say it's that easy...it's more to do with the energy and earnestness of it.

I don't care about looking back as long as the music's good. What bothered me about Bomb is that it sounds like they took everything that U2 haters HATE about U2 and amped it up to the extreme. It's like the album that would torture Henry Rollins. And me, to a much lesser degree, for I know they know better.
Good analysis! I more or less agree. ATYCLB is so much better than Bomb! At least ATYCLB has a truly unique sound to it. Bomb definitely sounds like a rehash.

And NLOTH is quality-wise the best of the three, in my opinion. But I cannot fully make up my mind on that one. Sometimes I prefer listening to ATYCLB than NLOTH.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #78
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikwala View Post
Good analysis! I more or less agree. ATYCLB is so much better than Bomb! At least ATYCLB has a truly unique sound to it. Bomb definitely sounds like a rehash.

And NLOTH is quality-wise the best of the three, in my opinion. But I cannot fully make up my mind on that one. Sometimes I prefer listening to ATYCLB than NLOTH.
I think ATYCLB at least has a consistent vibe and purpose to it. The sum is probably better than the parts. With the other two records you can plainly hear original intentions get watered-down, second-guessed, and abandoned.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #79
War Child

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahittle View Post
I think ATYCLB at least has a consistent vibe and purpose to it. The sum is probably better than the parts.
This is certainly true. I agree with you.

Ugh... NLOTH had so much promise! And I still feel that songs like the opening trio, Breathe, Fez and Cedars are all much better than anything on ATYCLB or Bomb. But some of the other songs on NLOTH really drag that album down. The whole thing is not consistent at all.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikwala View Post
This is certainly true. I agree with you.

Ugh... NLOTH had so much promise!
I feel strongly this way too. NLOTH had such a good foundation with Magnificent, NLOTH, MOS, Cedars, Fez, and White as Snow.

The middle three just stick out like a thorn, as if they belonged on HTDAAB or something. MOS is an extremely powerful song, but their decision to keep it vanilla instead of refining things such as the chorus (and length) seems to hurt it. That album is a masterpiece dragged down by a few mistakes (and inconsistencies).
Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #81
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser View Post
I feel strongly this way too. NLOTH had such a good foundation with Magnificent, NLOTH, MOS, Cedars, Fez, and White as Snow.

The middle three just stick out like a thorn, as if they belonged on HTDAAB or something. MOS is an extremely powerful song, but their decision to keep it vanilla instead of refining things such as the chorus (and length) seems to hurt it. That album is a masterpiece dragged down by a few mistakes (and inconsistencies).
If 'Winter' had replaced 'Stand Up'....that alone would have made it a near masterpiece. Poor Brian Eno. I can understand his frustration.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow Loris View Post
If 'Winter' had replaced 'Stand Up'....that alone would have made it a near masterpiece. Poor Brian Eno. I can understand his frustration.
Haha, exactly. The band was probably being self-conscious and felt they need a 'rock' number, and Brian Eno is probably banging his head on the keyboard.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #83
Refugee

Is "Winter" regarded as such a lost classic around here simply because it was left off the album? It's nothing special. I'm glad Eno threw those strings to Coldplay. Do I prefer it to Stand Up Comedy, sure, but that's like preferring a black eye to a broken nose.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #84
Refugee

Quote:
Is "Winter" regarded as such a lost classic around here simply because it was left off the album? It's nothing special. I'm glad Eno threw those strings to Coldplay. Do I prefer it to Stand Up Comedy, sure, but that's like preferring a black eye to a broken nose.
From my perspective, Winter would contribute to the overall theme of the album better than Standup Comedy, and therefore wouldn't hurt the album's consistency. I don't think it is a classic.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #85
War Child

Quote:
I disagree. YouTube is a place where haters usually love to feast, but even they are nowhere to be found in the comments for 'Winter'. The opening lyrics are like something out of The Joshua Tree. Very cinematic:

The yellow sun
Well, it took the hand
Of a country boy
To a city in a far-off land

We made no mark
No shadow at all
On the ancient, holy streets
Where I learned to crawl

The broken and the bruised
The young and the used
The sure and confused
All here...

And then of course the bittersweet chorus...and not to mention the "helicopter" ending.

I agree with Brian Eno on this one. The original version of 'Winter' is indeed hauntingly beautiful.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #86
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser View Post
From my perspective, Winter would contribute to the overall theme of the album better than Standup Comedy, and therefore wouldn't hurt the album's consistency. I don't think it is a classic.
Exactly right. The sound and feel of the song fits the album much more than a 'Stand Up Comedy'. That album needed a deeper story to weave itself together. That's why 'Winter' would have been the perfect fit.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #87
Refugee

I could care less about youtube haters. I just don't think the song's that interesting.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #88
War Child

Quote:
I could care less about youtube haters. I just don't think the song's that interesting.
And you have the right to your opinion. Most would, however, disagree with that particular opinion. Is it a "classic"? No. Is it interesting? Most would say yes. Is it a better fit than at least 3 songs on that album? Yes, for sure it is.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #89
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow Loris View Post
And you have the right to your opinion. Most would, however, disagree with that particular opinion. Is it a "classic"? No. Is it interesting? Most would say yes. Is it a better fit than at least 3 songs on that album? Yes, for sure it is.
Winter sounds like it's trying to tell me something deep as opposed to just showing me. That's my main criticism of it. Take Bullet the Blue Sky, for instance. Everything about it takes me to the heart of the situation. It places me in the middle of the crisis. Winter is like a Bruce Springsteen song (I'm not a huge fan of da boss) in that it's trying to relate to me too much on a human level. It's trying to wrap it all up nicely with some moral explanation. Forget all that, just show me what's happening.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #90
Refugee

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun vox View Post
u2 needs to go back and listen to their own music.. this is easly better than anything they have put out in the past 14 years and its not even one of their hit songs like streets or one...
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel by U2 (1989) - YouTube
Love this track so much.

I just want to hear something that sounds like a band playing music in a room. Scale back the production, include takes that aren't 100% perfect and have some bum notes here and there, that's what gives music character. Moment of Surrender had some of this and I absolutely love it for it, especially knowing the story of how it came together. That's the magic of U2, the gems that come out of the noise of just banging it out. Yes there is room for great production to really get something right and U2 has been the beneficiary of that many times, (Streets, for example) but there is also something magical about stripping things back and letting the boys just hammer something out and calling it good.

There's a place for both, I personally would love to hear some of that more raw stuff we used to get quite a bit of.