Let's Just Hope The New Album Has...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tuxedos. :up:

U2GQMenoftheYear9-2011.jpg

The life of a music fan at times! :D

The cover and artwork isn't really a priority with me and any band out there, but I guess if it's the one thing that pops up every time a song plays on itunes/your cell phone/etc., it'd make sense to have one that looks better than worse in the end. I rather liked the ATYCLB cover and didn't care for the HTDAAB cover either way. I appreciated the minimalist approach in the NLOTH one, but admit that a 'flashier' one would probably be better suited for the next one.

... now whether that involves the band being on front or neon colors, who knows?! :lol: But I'm willing to give whatever it is a chance on the next go around.

Agreed. While I liked the Corbijn work for NLOTH a lot more than the previous two albums, some color really is needed.

Eh...the black and white worked for ATYCLB. Less so for the other two (what's with the caneLarry on NLOTH photo though ?). Maybe Corbijn is running out of ideas as much as Eno/Lanois.

Suits are fine for magazine shots. Stay off the casual wear off Elevation/Vertigo tour (meaning non-Bono members; leather always works) and you'll be fine.

I don't get the idea that Eno/Lanois are short on ideas. MOS? UC? NLOTH? Magnificent? FBB? Come on.....

MOS is the exception to the rule.

UC = hello Walk on-ish riff yet again (after Electrical storm and Crumbs, to name two others)
NLOTH = hello the riff from the Fly
Magnificent = U2 by numbers, as much as COBL. The fact it mixes up elements of all three eras of U2 doesn't make it new.
FBB = Zooropa U2 meets UF U2. Hardly new.

MOS is the exception to the rule.

UC = hello Walk on-ish riff yet again (after Electrical storm and Crumbs, to name two others)
Magnificent = U2 by numbers, as much as COBL. The fact it mixes up elements of all three eras of U2 doesn't make it new.

You and I are on different planets. I can give you that the opening chords of UC were poorly chosen (by the Edge) but if those songs don't open up something new for you, we're having very different experiences.

1. A failing of Edge's, not of Eno or Lanois.
2. A failing of Edge's, not of Eno or Lanois.
3. U2 has never amalgamated those two records in the years since Zooropa's release. Besides, yours is an arbitrary description concocted by a fan on a U2 message board. If you can pinpoint a U2 song that sounds a great deal like Fez-Being Born, I would a) buy myself a new set of ears to replace this obviously broken pair I have now, and b) concede that the song is a retread.

Why do people give a shit if songs written decades apart by the same band have a similar vibe to them?

I mean... it's the same fucking band. They're going to have some similarity in style throughout their history.

Okay... some songs sound like they could have been on other records. Okay... no shit. The fucking point shall be forthcoming?

1. A failing of Edge's, not of Eno or Lanois.
2. A failing of Edge's, not of Eno or Lanois.
3. U2 has never amalgamated those two records in the years since Zooropa's release. Besides, yours is an arbitrary description concocted by a fan on a U2 message board. If you can pinpoint a U2 song that sounds a great deal like Fez-Being Born, I would a) buy myself a new set of ears to replace this obviously broken pair I have now, and b) concede that the song is a retread.

1./2. All three failed. Edge for insisting with such blatant rehashing. And Eno and Lanois for not pushing him into new territories. And it was one of producers that started throwing out comparisons to AB before NLOTH was released.

3. They did it with Fez. Also, the intro to LAPOE off Bomb is something easily reminiscent of Zooropa.

1./2. All three failed. Edge for insisting with such blatant rehashing. And Eno and Lanois for not pushing him into new territories. And it was one of producers that started throwing out comparisons to AB before NLOTH was released.

Yeah, but Lanois was irked that the record he was touting was different than the one that was released. So who knows what the NLOTH that Lanois was hyping really sounded like.

Yeah, but Lanois was irked that the record he was touting was different than the one that was released. So who knows what the NLOTH that Lanois was hyping really sounded like.

I really hope (although this is unlikely) that the next u2.com cd is the outtakes from / early version of NLOTH, kind of like the 'Unreleased and rare' cd from a few years ago.
It will probably happen eventually, but i think only after they've mined said outtakes for the next album (i think the reason there were no b-sides for NLOTH is because they wanted to be able to use anything that wasn't included for the next project).

What would have been b-sides were probably saved for Songs of Ascent, but I guess they decided the songs could get called up to the majors.

I would love to hear the early NLOTH songs. Based on the videos they posted while making that album, the early versions were really good.

What would have been b-sides were probably saved for Songs of Ascent

Well I guess it depends on who you talk to, both Bono and I believe Eno spoke about how these other songs were more meditative songs that were being written during these sessions but soon were being separated as a different project, not just pushed to the side as a b-side.

What would have been b-sides were probably saved for Songs of Ascent, but I guess they decided the songs could get called up to the majors.

I would love to hear the early NLOTH songs. Based on the videos they posted while making that album, the early versions were really good.

Thinking long term, I hope they do a kindergarden disc for NLOTH just like they did for AB. It wouldn't be surprising that that disc would be better than the original NLOTH + any B-Sides or a companion SOA if that doesn't get released before then. :drool: Too bad we'll probably have to wait until 2019, 2024 or 2029. :sad:

Why do people give a shit if songs written decades apart by the same band have a similar vibe to them?

I mean... it's the same fucking band. They're going to have some similarity in style throughout their history.

Okay... some songs sound like they could have been on other records. Okay... no shit. The fucking point shall be forthcoming?

Amen Brother :applaud:

Might sound wacky, but album covers can have an effect on the music for me, probably because I like to associate songs with colours since I'm a hippie douchebag artist. So I prefer colourful album covers all the way. It's not an absolute necessity but it can definitely make a difference, however subconscious that may be.

Might sound wacky, but album covers can have an effect on the music for me, probably because I like to associate songs with colours since I'm a hippie douchebag artist. So I prefer colourful album covers all the way. It's not an absolute necessity but it can definitely make a difference, however subconscious that may be.

it makes a big difference to me.

would be so nice to see some colour again.. leading up to NLOTH, I remember the Slow Loris had hinted that the album cover would be colourful, and then we got a sea of greys. while it's a nice image, it imparts a sense of morose, weightiness on the album. it's hard to shake that image when listening to those songs.

now consider this:
million-dollar-hotel-soundtrack.jpg

what a cover! OK, so it's mainly blues/purples, not a lot of variety. but those colours leave a much more beautiful impression when I listen to that soundtrack. the cover and songs go hand in hand.

Back
Top Bottom