Let's Just Hope The New Album Has...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked the picture on HTDAAB quite a bit, but not sure it was cover worthy. Perhaps back cover or liner notes. I still like most of that album, but there are some songs that make me cringe to this day. NLOTH at least had better songs (barring one or two exceptions) and the cover didn't have U2 on front yet again.

I like the idea of U2 not being on the album cover - or if they are, more in the AB sense. And AB was all about color. :up:

Agree with pretty much all that. A colourful cover, without the band would be good - although, i wouldn't mind something with the band in as long as it's a creative picture, not just the band standing around looking grumpy in black and white... again.

Obviously, it would make sense for us to actually hear the album before determining what cover would be best suited to it. :shh:

I really like the cover for ATYCLB, but not HTDAAB; that would have been a lot better with a different photo. NLOTH's isn't bad, but it's not really an attention-grabber. I agree that they should try something different with the color scheme for the upcoming album. There's been quite a lot of the black-and-white photos of four guys standing around scowling this past decade.

LemonMelon said:
NLOTH was just dull, which is fucking embarrassing when you consider the traveling they did.

It was also pretty much a non-colour Small Craft on Milk Sea. The amount of times I've seen the box set for the latter and thought it was NLOTH...

I loved the Atty Club cover. I also love the album.

Maybe U2 will announce a new album coming out next week, KoL style, with Adam's penis as the front cover and 12 songs that are really good and edgy.

A bloke can dream.

They could just wrap it in a repurposed brown lunch bag and stamp U2 on it, for all I care.

Just want some new music that doesn't sound like anything like SUC, FBB, BFFTS, EBW, WITS, IGCIFIDGCT or any of that other schmaltzy pile of meh.

U2DMfan said:
I think more colors is a plus and I think in order to announce they are breaking away from the previous era is to overhaul their ENTIRE image.

In order to pull off a legit image overhaul, two things need to happen:

1. Edge needs a new hat. Or even better, no hat.
2. Bono...lose the shades. Seriously, it's time.

I thought the ATYCLB cover was perfect, but the other two designs of the 00s were uninspired. With HTDAAB they, like, tried to to take the most boring picture that could be captured and then had an intern paste some garish clip art onto the border. NLOTH was just dull, which is fucking embarrassing when you consider the traveling they did.

This time: no Eno, no Lanois, no Anton.

I'd be happy with no Lillywhite! :wink: I think if they'd stuck with the advice of Eno and Lanois NLOTH could have been the album we all wanted it to be.

ATYCLB was quite a good cover looking back on it, so too was the image on the disc of the little girl holding her mum's hand summed up the spirit of the album for me.
I think they should stick with Corbjinn as he is perfect for u2, but this time allow him to choose the image for the cover, it's their Dublin based design company they should sack, is that still Steve Averill??

It was also pretty much a non-colour Small Craft on Milk Sea. The amount of times I've seen the box set for the latter and thought it was NLOTH...

I loved the Atty Club cover. I also love the album.

Maybe U2 will announce a new album coming out next week, KoL style, with Adam's penis as the front cover and 12 songs that are really good and edgy.

A bloke can dream.

You dream of Adam's penis???? :eyebrow:

Weirdly enough, i find that less likely than the next album being a massive achtung baby-style overhaul that changes the bands sound, and gets absolute critical and commercial success.
But i think it would be a good idea... maybe i'm over thinking it, but if Bono wants to distance himself from his 00's image, rather than wearing guyliner, it might help to just not wear those sunglasses.

I think he should sport the sweatpants and flip flop look like he did in that shot with early U2 in a trailer park. That was by far his best look...

tried #2 with NLOTH.. but the eyeliner wasn't much better.

I wish they'd just embrace that they are all 50+. the message would be "We're getting old, this is what we look like - and we don't give a fuck." That's more rock n roll than anything

Larry's got to do something other than look blankly or frown at the camera, though I love how he does it in the booklet for Pop.

And Bono should either ditch the glasses or grow his hair to the style it was in until the last leg of the Vertigo Tour.

god forbid the band put out a record that visibly stands out on a display case rather than another "four old guys sitting on a bench" cover like HTDAAB.

• Four old guys sitting on a bench; mediocre music: NINE MILLION UNITS SOLD
  • = Sign over horisonless sea; great music (mostly): FOUR MILLION UNITS SOLD

Hmmmm. Tough one for U2.

Someone here called it "four paedophiles sitting on a park bench",

ROFL. Classic.

Two of them are bald as coots and hide it in different ways. Maybe if Bono started wearing a beanie and Edge tried hair plugs they could appeal to the pop kids and have the big hits :hmm:

lemonfly said:
Two of them are bald as coots and hide it in different ways. Maybe if Bono started wearing a beanie and Edge tried hair plugs they could appeal to the pop kids and have the big hits :hmm:

Uh oh, someone's trolling :wink:

And Bono should either ditch the glasses or grow his hair to the style it was in until the last leg of the Vertigo Tour.

You mean this hair?

RRHOF.jpg

:down:

I would really like this look for them again, especially Bono, which was all too brief. I believe this was pre-ATYCLB, not long before the album was released. Bono's hair, the glasses, it all kinda makes him look like a professor. I don't mind his shades of the last few tours so much, but this is so much better, IMHO. As long as Edge doesn't go down the flannel road ever again, then I'm cool with him just the way he is.

34efasn.jpg

One thing I will say, at the risk of venturing into PLEBAn territory of my own accord: Adam looked fucking awful during Elevation. He's aged very well since, however.

Back
Top Bottom