Larry speaks about new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono admitted that despite being adventurous enough to try a “club-sounding” record, U2 hasn’t really embraced digital culture. "We're not as 21st century as we think we are," he said. "We'd be putting out more new songs online, involving our audience in the choice, if we were really modern. [Instead] we're just sitting here arguing about them, except no one else knows about them."

DO IT!!

ehh maybe not, thinking about our Interference survivor polls LOL

or DO IT and let the fans just choose the songs they want to buy, and compile and personalise their own individual albums with the songs of their choice - oh that would awesome and that way everyone would be happy! and we'd all have completely different albums :lol:

seriously i think that would be dead creative! i mean, it's like artists, they don't tell their clients which paintings they should buy - they produce a whole selection of work and people choose the ones they want... heh that would be pretty radical - they should do something like that before Radiohead beats them to it! :D

DO IT!!

ehh maybe not, thinking about our Interference survivor polls LOL

or DO IT and let the fans just choose the songs they want to buy, and compile and personalise their own individual albums with the songs of their choice - oh that would awesome and that way everyone would be happy! and we'd all have completely different albums :lol:

seriously i think that would be dead creative! i mean, it's like artists, they don't tell their clients which paintings they should buy - they produce a whole selection of work and people choose the ones they want... heh that would be pretty radical - they should do something like that before Radiohead beats them to it! :D
Kaiser Chiefs did something like this with their last album and it failed.

Which things were the possibly new facts or rumors? It seems to be all quotes from previous interviews?

Ok, maybe not really "new", but some of the quotes seem new to me, which means, I haven't really heard or read them before. But most of it is speculation based on well-known quotes from Bono and the band.

At least you didn't say "literally".

It'll depend. I wouldn't doubt that it will have more radio hits, but with the exception of the middle 3 on NLOTH, it's going to be tough to beat that quality.

edit. oops. I quoted the wrong post.

They really do take forever between albums, don't they?! And then finally after all that waiting, out of 11 songs there are 3 duds. But I suppose we really cannot complain too much. They've given us 30 years of wonderful music! It's just that their productivity sucks a little. :wink:

people who can speak this language: anything new here?
Bono: " Gli U2 sono in forma smagliante ". | Blog di passengers

U2 are in great shape, says Bono.

In an interview for The Sun, Bono said U2 are enthusastic about it and really want to make a great new record. At the end of 2011 the band was closed up in the studio for three months and only stopped recording when Bono had the flu.
The working title Ten reasons to exist is alluding to the reasons that keep U2 together after 36 years of music career. The end of the article is just a rehash : U2's last album was NLOTH in 2009 and since mid-2011 the band has worked on four different projects : dance album with Guetta, rock album with Danger Mouse, Songs of ascent and a full band reworking of Spiderman, music written by Bono and Edge.

I wish the journalists would stop with this "10 reasons to exist" BS. :doh:

Why? If Bono didn't want people writing about it, he wouldn't have said it. He knows what he's doing. He knows that if he didn't shoot his mouth off, the press wouldn't be writing anything about U2 at all.

And if the press run with that album title, or even mocks it, Bono has only himself to blame for putting it out there.

I just wonder what the fuck has gone on in the studio over the last two years.
I am almost as interested in those stories as I am in new music.

Really, the idea that it takes 2+ years for seasoned vets like U2 to find 10 worthy songs for an album is beyond preposterous. And this on top of all the material that existed before they even started with Danger Mouse.

And once again, we have two different messages from the two conflicting camps.
Bono = we're 60% on the way to finishing the album.
Larry = we're looking at two albums.

When over a year ago, they were saying the exact opposite. Bono was talking about 2, 3, 4 projects and Adam/Edge (and thus Larry) were essentially talking about one album.

Methinks Bono is doing his typical politicking. He was told not to 'hype' too much or whatever and so, perhaps he didn't even want to talk about 'two releases'. While Larry is certainly going to be closer to reality. The way I read this is, one project with Danger Mouse is a cohesive album unto itself, worked on exclusively with Burton (including rewrites of previous material) and it's this album that is '60%' completed and due for release around Sept/Oct.

And the other project is probably some kind of 'best of' the rest or whatever.
Maybe even including elements of SOA, as a quiet Zooropa-like mid-tour release.

That, or they've combined everything, rewrote the stuff (leftovers from prior to 2011) that still had legs, recorded and finished 12-14 (or so) songs already with DM and are trying to see if they can actually fill enough material for two separate releases. In other words, 60% finished with a 'two album' goal. And considering Bono is the one that alluded to '60%' with his '10 reason to exist and we have 6'...it may be closer to 50%. And if this is the case, I'd bet SOA sits apart from this altogether.

Really, the idea that it takes 2+ years for seasoned vets like U2 to find 10 worthy songs for an album is beyond preposterous. And this on top of all the material that existed before they even started with Danger Mouse.

You're forgetting Bono's talk about relevance. It's not enough for the band to find 10 "worthy" songs - they have to find 10 worthy songs that they feel will resonate with the public for years to come. And on the whole, be cohesive. I assume they're trying to find another JT/AB (whatever your feelings on this may be), not another NLOTH. This was probably why they were unsatisfied with this last album, and, in their minds, probably why it didn't sell well. There are plenty of highly rated albums out there that are not as successful as they could/should have been, and vice versa, and I think Bono believes it boils down to relevance.

As if their previous efforts didn't aspire to be relevant?

And, as if those same efforts didn't also take a long time to produce?

As has already been stated, if we do get an album in late 2013, it'll be 4 and a half years between albums, nothing too unusual at U2's pace. We can all complain all we want, but U2 are not the type to throw an album out there just because they have enough songs for one.

EDIT: I'm sorry; I'm not sure why I'm arguing over a minute detail of your post, rehashing the same points that have been used to death around here. It is indeed preposterous, but hey, I'd rather a good, "relevant" album that takes longer to produce than just another release with the U2 name out now. But maybe it's not worth bringing up again.

U2 are in great shape, says Bono.

xekg2q.gif

I just wonder what the fuck has gone on in the studio over the last two years.
I am almost as interested in those stories as I am in new music.

Don't forget that Larry said in his radio interview that it's taking a long time because they're working on a lot of songs at once so they don't have to return to the studio before releasing a second time. So instead of record-release-record-release, it's record-release-release. This sounds like a good strategy, as long as they don't feel the need to go back and tweak stuff a thousand times. And maybe this means we'll get two Danger Mouse albums.

Don't forget that Larry said in his radio interview that it's taking a long time because they're working on a lot of songs at once so they don't have to return to the studio before releasing a second time. So instead of record-release-record-release, it's record-release-release. This sounds like a good strategy, as long as they don't feel the need to go back and tweak stuff a thousand times. And maybe this means we'll get two Danger Mouse albums.

He said that? I must've missed that part of the interview. It would make a lot of sense and would make way for a lot of completed songs at once, and then of course, maybe resulting in a second release sooner than later.

It's hard to imagine that they wouldn't be tempted to change something between a first and second release though. But that's just the nature of musicians, since a lot of them even claim that a studio release is just the final version they put out before submitting the album. Rather than being it's the version they're most pleased with, some say they just ran out of time to tinker with it! But yeah, a lot of bands go back to older material and re-record certain parts and that sort of thing, which I guess a long layoff from listening to the material can do. Mercy is one particular example for U2, and they haven't even released a final studio version of that song yet!

Back
Top Bottom