Larry speaks about new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge on the bigggest autopilot of his career ?

U2 ripping off Coldplay intro ?

Unfinished lyrics ? Strike three and you're out of NLOTH, Winter. Plus WAS, borrowed melody or not, is much better and is also about the two brothers story.

Thanfully none of that made the radio. On that subject, if the best "radio" song Eno and Lanois can give U2 is Vertigo part 2 Boots or SUC, Crazy tonight is superior to both.

U2 actually wrote Winter with Eno before Coldplay wrote that shit VLV song.

Sounds like U2 realised it wasn't working, and did the song justice in the Brothers's version.

I guess the Brothers version can be considered an improvement, but it's not that much better. Mostly it's just different. As I said, I like both versions of the song, but I agree with Eno that it needs more work and should not have been abandoned the way it was.

Ah, OK. Yes, it needed more work. Perhaps it could have been something special. Then again, it could have been another Stand Up Comedy. :yikes:

Crazy Tonight absolutely needed to stay as it's one of the catchiest songs they've made in a long time. Plus, it led to one of their finest music videos.

Crazy Tonight absolutely needed to stay as it's one of the catchiest songs they've made in a long time. Plus, it led to one of their finest music videos.

did you manage to type that with a straight face?

It's not a hiiiiiiiiiiiill it's a mountaaaaaain. Yah that's infectious alright. Like smallpox.

U2 actually wrote Winter with Eno before Coldplay wrote that shit VLV song.

How do you know that? I'm not sure that's true. In fact, I've always been under the impression that it's the other way around. The Coldplay album came out well before NLOTH, at least.

I guess we'll never know, truly. Do we have timestamped video footage of the first time they wrote both of those songs? No.

How do you know that? I'm not sure that's true. In fact, I've always been under the impression that it's the other way around. The Coldplay album came out well before NLOTH, at least.

I guess we'll never know, truly. Do we have timestamped video footage of the first time they wrote both of those songs? No.

Hasn't Eno said that he had to make sure to keep the files well separated on his computer, just in case his Coldplay sounds would mix with U2's, and vice versa? So he must've been working on both at the same time.

Hasn't Eno said that he had to make sure to keep the files well separated on his computer, just in case his Coldplay sounds would mix with U2's, and vice versa? So he must've been working on both at the same time.

To answer my own question, here's what Eno told the Guardian in 2010:

On working with U2 and Coldplay at the same time

"It was fine. A few jokes. I felt like a philanderer who was with another woman and might make a slip and call her by the wrong name in bed. I had one computer that had all of the Coldplay stuff and all the U2 stuff. I had to very carefully label each folder because I was paranoid that I might end up with the same basic track for each group and I wouldn't notice until it was too late. There was a chance the same track might have appeared on both albums."

Full interview here: http://m.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/17/brian-eno-interview-paul-morley

I'm searching for the article but I remember reading a few years ago that Eno introduced that intro to Coldplay after introducing it to U2.

Can't find the article now though. I think its safe to say that neither band ripped the other off intentionally but that it was a result of Eno working with both bands at the same time.

I'm searching for the article but I remember reading a few years ago that Eno introduced that intro to Coldplay after introducing it to U2.

Can't find the article now though. I think its safe to say that neither band ripped the other off intentionally but that it was a result of Eno working with both bands at the same time.

I remember that article too.

Those strings aren't essential to the song anyway. If they had officially released it, I bet/hope it would've been without the strings.

Back
Top Bottom