Larry Mullen Jr: how thrilled we are that he's our drummer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
He's really a great drummer.
I'll get it started...

That song TIWYCRMN featured some of his trademark heavy hi-hat rhythms from the early days. The pace reminds me of 'Two Hearts Beat As One' for some reason. The restraint/explosion of RBW is awesome.

He never over-extends himself. His playing is smart. It's artful. Smartful.

Also powerful. Smowertful.

Also dynamic.

Smynaimerful... Fuck it

Anyway, this was fun. We should do a thread like this for every band member's performance on the album. Because there's some good stuff on SoI.

Ah, the only one not having his own thread now does :applaud:

I read in other threads that people find Larry's drumming on this album not really present in the mix etc. But to me his drumming is fresh like Edge's guitar work is fresh. It sounds different, it's mixed different and still it is unmistakingly Lawrence.

There's some really nice references to the early days but also to achtung baby.

Ah, the only one not having his own thread now does :applaud:

I read in other threads that people find Larry's drumming on this album not really present in the mix etc. But to me his drumming is fresh like Edge's guitar work is fresh. It sounds different, it's mixed different and still it is unmistakingly Lawrence.

There's some really nice references to the early days but also to achtung baby.

There is some Achtung here in LMJ's drumming...but what I hear in SOI is more Boy and October. I think Larry must be using DHEA

his drumming on this new album really stands out to me - excellent! :up:

As a drummer for a long time, the most I can say is that he fits the band. He doesn't over play, which is nice.

That being said, I do wish he would expand his fills more. I don't he needs to be showy or dominate the song or anything. Or maybe do something 'less standard' as I feel like he does a lot of very simple traditional rock beats.

U2 is my favorite band, yet when I drum along to my iPod, I almost never play a U2 song.

He should try different rudiments. Too many basic 16th note fills IMO. I love SOI and Larry, but I'm just giving my 2 cents. That being said, he is one of the cleanest and tightest drummers around.

It reminded me what I hate the most about rock concerts:

DRUM SOLOS

this is the worst invention since shredding solos and double kick

I love Larry's drumming, obviously. But overtly expressive drummers (and yes, even drum solos) can be fun. And so can shredding guitar solos. It's all about the right context. We might just have to disagree.

I liked seeing him in that behind the scenes video they put up, he looked really into that intro to Cedarwood.

Back
Top Bottom