Larry Drumming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the first song in the U2 segment from the full Here Is What Is trailer viewable on YouTube is a bluesy riff in 6/8 time signature that sounds somewhere in between Acrobat and Love and Peace or Else, now if you trim it and force it into a regular 4/4 signature with a solid rock beat you get exactly what Larry and Adam are playing in the video, it's even in the same key as the riff in the trailer!!!
so with this and No Line on the Horizon (which is the "Oooh" group singing from the trailer minus a couple of bars and with the slogan "No Line on the Horizon" in between) this alreadt two pieces (out of potentially four) which could be traced back to those appearing on the trailer.
and it also make sense, they're trying to reshape the songs written in morocco and france by simplifying sub-structures within the songs, and breaking them into more conventional rhythm patterns which might be catchier and easier to play.

Needle_Chill said:
Haha, it feels so funny to be so fascinated with something so simple and short... God I need a new U2 album. I feel like such a sheep...

That's cool news about the engineer from Van Morrison's previous work though... good stuff.

baaaa.. I loved it. :up:

Rick Astley: Proudly Serving the Lulz Since 1987.

Larry's Drumming: Disappointing Me Since 1988.

There's some correlation there, I'll bet.

TheBrazilianFly said:
Am I the only one who loved that? :eek:
Sweeeeet rythym, glad to know there will be up tempo songs here. The riff I heard indeed sounds a bit eastern influenced. Nothing new and too exciting but I love seeing Larry drumming and studio footage. :D

:up:

I agree. It definitely sounds like this will be what the Eastern influence might mean - a bit looser in sound and rhythm.

I like these little vignettes. If they gave us too much, it'd ruin the surprise, but I think these little bits and pieces are something to treasure.

Larry is a good drummer.

I hope this album isn't a bummer.

I hope we can hear it by the end of the summer.

I just ate a cucumber.

Would you like my phone number?

It's 217-Larry Mullen Drumming-6042.

Roses are red, violets are blue.

Bono has a beautiful voice and so do you.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Larry is a good drummer.

I hope this album isn't a bummer.

I hope we can hear it by the end of the summer.

I just ate a cucumber.

Would you like my phone number?

It's 217-Larry Mullen Drumming-6042.

Roses are red, violets are blue.

Bono has a beautiful voice and so do you.

:lol:

That clip was kinda silly. The only remotely interesting thing about it was the faint guitar.

Hmmm.....

Doesn't U2 say their music is good because its the sum of all parts.

Listen to Larry's drumming on the albums. It's nothing amazing, but sounds great with everyone else.

wow...that was so exciting

thanks U2.com for that AMAZING insight into the album recording process

I suppose it is better than nothing :shrug:

super fly guy said:

Typical post on this forum.
Im entitled to my opinion just as much as anyone else, after all this is a discussion board.

I have no problem with u2 post 2000, its just Larry's drumming is a bit flat. LAPOE was good live, especially the end when larry gets back to his drum kit and starts going wild.

RademR said:
wow that was exciting
i've never played drums before in my life and i could play that.
??

ummm...if you really haven't ever played drums before then you couldn't even come close to playing that, much less keep in perfect time :wink:

i agree it's a bit boring but rather than focusing on just the drums try to imagine a song around that pattern....not sure about you, but i'm interested :yes:

It may just be a standard drum pattern that they want to plant underneath to get a feel for the beat of a particular song... you know, just to help build a song with a solid base, and then Lanois comes in later to shake it up.

Needle_Chill said:
It may just be a standard drum pattern that they want to plant underneath to get a feel for the beat of a particular song... you know, just to help build a song with a solid base, and then Lanois comes in later to shake it up.

yes exactly it could be anything, or nothing at all, i'm excited simply over the fact that we got a clip of Larry drumming in the studio! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom