Landlady Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
To those that were lucky enough to hear the leak so far, how about this song?!

This song was written off early as one of the weaker tracks of the album from those who heard it during the listening sessions.

It’s haunting, beautiful, passionate, and has melancholy to it.

It’s the one song on the album where I completely believe Bono in what he is saying. Such a natural tune.

This will for sure crack my top ten U2 songs.

The sound quality is too low, but I like how U2 did adult contemporary and it doesn’t suck. It doesn’t sound like AMAAW like some described. One of the better tracks on this album.

While I'm not super crazy about the song compared to most of the rest of the album, I have to say that the part that starts at 2:55, the "every wave that broke me, every song that wrote me, etc." is one of the single greatest moments on the entire album. Holy crap.

Agreed, one of my faves for sure, and as you say comes across as genuine.

It was good that I had heard mostly negative things about this song. I was even more pleasantly surprised....very beautiful song.

This song is beautiful. Authentic and heartbreaking and hopeful. All the times I wished U2 would lay off the over-production over the last few decades and let their songs breath, have some space? Well - Landlady does it for me.

Best song.

This will go down in the all time greats for me.

If I had one wish, it’s that the Johnny Marr-ish riff in the Middle came back at the end to close out the song. Maybe that’ll be an idea for live..

It does sound familiar, and I couldn’t be happier that it sounds like a song/emotion that’s been in the back of my mind..and middle of my chest all my life.

I really love this song, guys.

It does sound familiar, and I couldn’t be happier that it sounds like a song/emotion that’s been in the back of my mind..and middle of my chest all my life.

I really love this song, guys.

It feels like something that can only be written after 40 years of letting someone down and not being dumped for it. And how many people can say they've experienced that? And yet it's a song that makes me feel like I know this, I feel this, I love this way too, I hear him. He's done something I thought he didn't have the ability to do anymore.

I jumped on this song after hearing Bono’s description. I thought yes!!! This is my style.
Then I was crushed when the Twitter guy Saul who loved the album gave it a 4!!! And said it sucked.

So imagine my surprise when it turned out to be such an incredible, beautiful, haunting, real song.
I love it so much.
It reminds me of when I hit SLABT on SOI. This second side treasure.

I jumped on this song after hearing Bono’s description. I thought yes!!! This is my style.
Then I was crushed when the Twitter guy Saul who loved the album gave it a 4!!! And said it sucked.

So imagine my surprise when it turned out to be such an incredible, beautiful, haunting, real song.
I love it so much.
It reminds me of when I hit SLABT on SOI. This second side treasure.

I really can't recall a time where I've heard so many incorrect impressions about songs from early listens lol. Most of these songs aren't anywhere near what most reviews and early listeners described them as, thankfully. This one is the perfect example. Kept hearing generic, paint by numbers ballad, etc. Far from it.

After one listen, I couldn't recall anything about this song.

On second listen now, waiting to be as gobsmacked as some of you ... ;)

It's a beautiful song. My favorite so far. That third verse is hauntingly beautiful

It feels like something that can only be written after 40 years of letting someone down and not being dumped for it. And how many people can say they've experienced that? And yet it's a song that makes me feel like I know this, I feel this, I love this way too, I hear him. He's done something I thought he didn't have the ability to do anymore.

Exactly. SO GOOD.

That subtle synth throughout the beginning of the song before the drums come in is hauntingly beautiful. Such a distance to it.

Uh ..... cool?

The lyrics are wonderful. Musically it doesn-t do much for me. I'm sure it'll grow on me.

While I'm not super crazy about the song compared to most of the rest of the album, I have to say that the part that starts at 2:55, the "every wave that broke me, every song that wrote me, etc." is one of the single greatest moments on the entire album. Holy crap.

That’s a brilliant section. Also mentions the “strangers that protected me to bring me back to you.”

Beautiful song. It was really bugging me what the verse melody (particularly in the 1st verse) reminded me of. After 3 listens and then humming it over and over... the vocal melody in the verse is very reminiscent of the verse melody in "6 months in a leaky boat" by Split Enz to me. And that's not a bad thing, as the rest of the song bears no resemblance whatsoever!

Atmospheric U2 is my favourite U2. That's why this track and the opener are amongst my top rated ones on this album.

Back
Top Bottom