Landlady Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy crap this song is beautiful. The more I listen the more I hear, just like all of my favorite U2 songs. I've been with my husband 25 years so I think the lyrics are just speaking to me, its truly a love song for long relationships who have gone through all the insane crap long term relationships go through and somehow made it.

And the every wave portion/ending - wow. Just fantastic. Its one of the songs on this album I can't listen to without getting teary, and that's a good thing. That U2's music can still move me like this is blowing me away. Wasn't sure they still had it in them. I honestly am shocked at how much I love this album - such a good thing!!

I have to say that the part that starts at 2:55, the "every wave that broke me, every song that wrote me, etc." is one of the single greatest moments on the entire album. Holy crap.
Every second two lines are a copy-paste from a song that I sadly cannot remember. I would point in direction of Robbie Williams but if it was that easy I would not be the first one to notice it!

Shame it is actually the only part of the song I like :).

Here's 2 really rough edits I whipped up:

https://we.tl/wyz1OYJrjZ

alt1 is how I first imagined it ending, with 2 loops of this riff. Unable to actually loop it that long because Bono sings in it.

alt3 is a second idea I had, bringing the intro licks and the ohs back into the mix.

Might refine it some

Cool!

Thanks for sharing. I tried the bringing the ohs back in too but I couldn't get the background sound to synch.

I think it is really charming that Bono refers to Ali as his landlady in this song. I'm sure she could have evicted him on a few occasions and he knows that lol. He's often said that he needs her more than she needs him. I can see how the reference might seem odd to a casual fan though.

And the every wave portion/ending - wow. Just fantastic. Its one of the songs on this album I can't listen to without getting teary, and that's a good thing. That U2's music can still move me like this is blowing me away. Wasn't sure they still had it in them. I honestly am shocked at how much I love this album - such a good thing!!

I don't know if this was mentioned before by someone else but it just hit me reading those words. It sounds like Landlady is a callback to/tie-in with Every Breaking Wave. In Innocence it was about the heartbreak of separation, but with Experience the narrator sees that the heartbreak was one of the things that brought him here.

I really love the strangers that protected me bit, kind of shows the gratitude he feels in being home.

This is a rich album.

I really think they need to do a video of it that is not a performance video and does not have even a cameo appearance from Bono.

First couple of listens, this one didn't get its hooks into me, but it's now opening up. It's a sweet, lovely tune, haunting at times. This album's RTSS, miniaturized, and with a happy ending and topic.

That melody though - it's reminding me of something, and I can't put my finger on it..

This song is so beautiful! It gets better and better as it goes, and the ending is incredible. The word “celestial” comes to mind.

You know a song is amazing when you wish it would keep going. This is one of the most effortless-sounding songs they've done in a while. That warm guitar and Bono's voice...just wow :)

Landlady is just plain fantastic.... if not for the Little Things this would be my fav of the album and I must admit the 1-2-3 punch of Little Things->Landlady->Blackout is pretty stellar in my book.

it's beautiful - reminds me of a Chagall painting

the only thing missing is a violin-playing goat :D

They should do a video that starts with a guy (not Bono) going from his car to the front door, with some nice flashbacks of how he got there. I think that will do well (from someone who has no clue of what passes for a good music video these days)

Landlady is the song that has risen the most since I first started listening to this album.

Ali is a good Landlady :)

Get me home to you, see? Is Bono of old

Yep..... I like edges guitar in the beginning of the outro and at one point it resembles a bagpipe (i know prolly to much weed) which immediately took me back to the old song Tomorrow. Does any one get what i mean (or hear)?

I'm currently in love with this song. Occasionally U2 has a sound I call "pretty" or "lovely". This is a great example. Especially the ten second or so instrument only section at about 2:46 and then the rest of the song.

Yes. I’m not sure it’s what I would name as the BEST song on the album , but it’s the one that I never tire of listening to.

Right now I have like a 6 way tie for my favorite song. Not a bad problem to have

I haven't landed on a position for this song just yet. It's starts slow yet the lyrics are pretty interesting. The last min or so of the "every" lines is just beautiful. I especially like the call back to Every Breaking Wave.

I find this to be of similar sonic territory as "A Man and a Woman" but much...much better. For me, the song is between a 7 and an 8( somewhat good song to a good song).

I’d give it a 9. It’s only fault is Bono’s cramming of words together, “I’llneverknowwhatstarvingpoets meant.” Otherwise, it pretty much flawless.

Back
Top Bottom