Landlady Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean, it's objectively lovely and a great love letter, but melody-wise and song-wise, it just hasn't stuck with me at all after 3 full listens. I couldn't even hum a few bars of it.

It's growing on me a lot. The melody and delivery of the chorus is gorgeous, and the production is lovely. I love the subtle atmospheric sounds, it has a floaty romantic feel that fits the song perfectly.

This song is growing on me the most. This section is one of the best moments on the album IMO.

What keeps us standing in this view
is the view that we can be brand new

The landlady takes me up in the air
I go, I go where I would not dare

I mean, it's objectively lovely and a great love letter, but melody-wise and song-wise, it just hasn't stuck with me at all after 3 full listens. I couldn't even hum a few bars of it.

Who knows, we're all different, but I wonder if with a few more listens the melody might lodge a bit and this song might start growing on you. U2 songs have a habit of doing that. Promenade, Running to Stand Still, were both a bit ... boring? When I first met them. Now they're two of my favourites, as the melody and songcraft is gorgeous but subtle.

Anyhow, I really hope you get to enjoy it!

I like it a lot, a grower of the best possible kind. I can see what Bill Flanagan meant when he said this album can be a grower (granted I had a number of instant favorites).

It's that outro that takes me to another place...just exquisite stuff.

I’m shocked at the majority of the forums rankings. I haven’t seen Landlady dead last anywhere, I don’t think, but it seems to be toward the bottom or somewhere in the middle of the pack. A lot of people are like “meh, whatever” at this gorgeous song and praise Love is bigger (which to me is pop 101). Head scratcher for me for sure.

I’m convinced sub consciously it’s because the song is called LandLady. If it was called She Shows Me The Stars I think there’d be a different result. [emoji6]

Lol I feel the same way.

On topic - this is one of my favorites on the record. Especially the last minute of the song.

The ending of this song is VERY nice, and I appreciate the sentiment. It’s just not a chorus I can imagine wanting to sing. The laaaaand llllay-daaayyy .. Also it kind of reminds me of Lunch Lady Land by Adam Sandler

This is the one song that stops me in my tracks, stuck on repeat. His vocal delivery, the subtle sounds Edge creates. The base it’s given by Larry and Adam. The last 90 seconds of the song are incredible. Feels like it could lift off but they take it back and it’s wonderful. This is the happiest a U2 song has made me in years. Was surprised by Sleep on SOI, this is a level I thought they didn’t have any more though.

And back to the headphones.

This is the one song that stops me in my tracks, stuck on repeat. His vocal delivery, the subtle sounds Edge creates. The base it’s given by Larry and Adam. The last 90 seconds of the song are incredible. Feels like it could lift off but they take it back and it’s wonderful. This is the happiest a U2 song has made me in years. Was surprised by Sleep on SOI, this is a level I thought they didn’t have any more though.

And back to the headphones.

Not sure if you saw me mention that earlier, but we’re on the the same page.
sLABT hit me a like this song. Unexpected and so great. Both have that mellow atmosphere but obviously wildly different subject matter. Lol.
Just something about it. Another all time favorite for me.

The outro reminds me of the way Sting rhymes occasionally. This is my least favourite song so far. Doesn't mean I hate it, just that it's last on the totem pole.

Last edited:
Produced By Jacknife Lee
Original Production By Ryan Tedder
Additional Production By Andy Barlow

Here is the direct link to the PDF File for the Booklet which is embedded on this site:
https://www.highresaudio.com/en/alb...of-experience-deluxe-edition#albumtab-booklet

PDF Link:

https://storage.highresaudio.com/2017/11/29/pd8er4-songsofexp-pdf.pdf

One of my favorite parts on the song are those background synths between Bono’s “oh’s” and before the drums come in. Even if that’s all of Andy Barlow’s contributions, I highly suggest they keep him on moving forward.

https://mega.nz/#!wLxQ3I5Q!oVW-v3LJodPYmzqY5oyzpGiECVRBd4uDphuWmsuPSFs

Anyone mind taking a listen and offer some ideas about how to create a new ending? This was a quick edit and I'm trying to stop it from ending so abruptly.

Perhaps combining some of the chants and fading out with that instead?

This is just too beautiful a song to have a structural issue like this.

I've posted this before but so far it's been crickets.

Anyone mind taking a listen and offer some ideas about how to create a new ending? This was a quick edit and I'm trying to stop it from ending so abruptly.

That's pretty cool. It flows well. I tried to get in there and extend that ending, but no luck with the way the vocals and guitar hit, which i'm sure you have already run into...

I may use this. I think its a step up from the cymbal fade original. Thanks!

That's pretty cool. It flows well. I tried to get in there and extend that ending, but no luck with the way the vocals and guitar hit, which i'm sure you have already run into...

I may use this. I think its a step up from the cymbal fade original. Thanks!

Yea, it's tricky. No problem!

I wish I had a day off to work on some of these songs...

It's a start. Better than the abrupt drop off of the original. Thanks!

Yeah, I found Landlady instantly appealing. Very visual, dream-like and quite poignant. What an odd title, yet an endearing love song to Ali.

This one, Summer of Love and The LIttle Things bubble to the very top for me. Although overall I love the whole album. I'm a very happy camper today.

This is their best slow song in ages. They build better than anyone.

Is the intro guitar bit - only like 8 seconds - a callback to the intro from RBW?

I feel that right now, and it acts like a camera wipe that takes me back to Dublin for the next number. It’s very theatrical. And it’s only one note. Crazy.

The final stanza/outro is some of the best lyrics I've ever seen. You can almost see him writing these lyrics and saying this to his wife. It's such an emotive song. It's so powerful and beautiful. How he can turn a love letter into a beautiful, understated, delicate song is so impressive. I am in love with this song, it was, and still is, one of my 2/3 favorites on this album with Little Things and Lights of Home.

Stay tuned when I get home I’ll do something up

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom