Joe O'Heirley told me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BigMacPhisto said:

Meh. I can confirm that the first four aren't great. I'm not too ecstatic about the other two. :|

They aren't great to you but the beautiful thing about music is that it's subjective;it means different things to different people.

I can't speak to the first three but I can say that I personally love the new White Stripes.

And that's the thing. In the past, while waiting for a new U2 release I would listen to nothing but U2, with the odd Radiohead, Coldplay, Oasis song. But whereas in the past I would listen to old U2 this year has been something of a musical awakening for me. Maybe it's because I bought a computer for the very first time but I made a concious effort to listen to and get to know different bands and music.

I've discovered, since the Vertigo Tour ended, in no particular order:

Arcade Fire
The White Stripes
Bloc Party
Kasabian
The National
Snow Patrol
The Killers

I also listen to more of The Cure, Pink Floyd, and The Beatles than I used to. Someone actually said something to the effect: "So, I bet your Itunes are full of U2 songs,eh?" When I responded in the negative, and listed all the different bands I have he wouldn't believe me.

All this being said, I'm glad that U2 haven't come out with anything sooner. If they had then maybe I wouldn't have realized that there a whole musical world out there besides U2.

And for this, I'm thankful.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Technically they have been on that plan since POP. POP was planned for release in October 96.

One might argue that this general 3-4 year trend really started with UF.

UF released in 1984. JT released in 1987. Yes, there was a little EP in-between, but a 3 year gap between studio albums is a long time (especially at that point in U2's career - it worked).

R&H came out 1.5 years later in late 1988, but that was more of a live album with some extra songs for the movie and second part of the tour. In a way, it was like an EP with another EP of live songs from the tour.

AB release in 1991, 4.5 years after JT and 3 years after R&H. So if one is talking about pure studio albums, the break between JT and AB was huge!

Again, "Zooropa" came out in 1993, 1.5 years after AB, but much like R&H, it was supposed to be an EP for the second half of the tour. It turned out to be more, so we got a rare treat from U2 there.

"Pop" came out in 1997, almost 4 years after "Zooropa". ATYCLB came out in late 2000, 3.5 years after "Pop". And, HTDAAB was pretty much exactly 4 years after ATYCLB. However, U2 filled up gaps between "Zooropa" and HTDAAB with three Best Of releases (all containing new songs or at least new versions of songs), DVD's, various side projects (OS1), solo works, single releases, books, etc. In other words, while there are big breaks between U2's studio album releases, they find ways to release other items to satiate fans.

Hence, this 4 year trend not only is consistent with U2's general pattern since 1984, but U2 continue to release other items between their full studio albums. We've actually had quite a bit of material since HTDAAB, but fans tend to forget this so quickly... :sexywink:

doctorwho said:

One might argue that this general 3-4 year trend really started with UF.

UF released in 1984. JT released in 1987. Yes, there was a little EP in-between, but a 3 year gap between studio albums is a long time (especially at that point in U2's career - it worked).

R&H came out 1.5 years later in late 1988, but that was more of a live album with some extra songs for the movie and second part of the tour. In a way, it was like an EP with another EP of live songs from the tour.

AB release in 1991, 4.5 years after JT and 3 years after R&H. So if one is talking about pure studio albums, the break between JT and AB was huge!

Again, "Zooropa" came out in 1993, 1.5 years after AB, but much like R&H, it was supposed to be an EP for the second half of the tour. It turned out to be more, so we got a rare treat from U2 there.

"Pop" came out in 1997, almost 4 years after "Zooropa". ATYCLB came out in late 2000, 3.5 years after "Pop". And, HTDAAB was pretty much exactly 4 years after ATYCLB. However, U2 filled up gaps between "Zooropa" and HTDAAB with three Best Of releases (all containing new songs or at least new versions of songs), DVD's, various side projects (OS1), solo works, single releases, books, etc. In other words, while there are big breaks between U2's studio album releases, they find ways to release other items to satiate fans.

Hence, this 4 year trend not only is consistent with U2's general pattern since 1984, but U2 continue to release other items between their full studio albums. We've actually had quite a bit of material since HTDAAB, but fans tend to forget this so quickly... :sexywink:

There is a definate pattern there which I have pointed out many times and been told I was pessimistic and wrong for saying it. :shrug:

The only thing that is slightly off is the Unf. Fire to Joshua Tree gap. The plan originally was a tad shorter. Joshua Tree was slated for release in October 1986. Which fits the fall release pattern with the tour starting in spring. But due to thier participation in the Amnesty tour the recording was delayed and thus the album was delayed.

Back
Top Bottom