Jimmy Iovine says album needed 2 more songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to my source, the albums may or not be released at the same time if they decide to go that direction. In other words there may be one large 18+ song album or two albums totally separated. Or one album of 11 songs and the rest b-sides to each 11 songs. Its seems as we all know that the songs have taken a life of their own and they are trying to fit them in a theme based album. He believes they had enough songs for an album but two songs they originally had on their list "didn't fit the rest of the album(s). Much like how "Mercy" didn't fit HTDAAB. - credible source in the music biz

Knowing U2 I'd bank on the more conservative end of this spectrum... an 11 song album with an assortment of B-Sides tacked on to single releases (along with remixes)... or a few bonus tracks based on where it's released.

I'm just confused as to why U2 wouldn't release one of the songs that didn't fit... so they'd have a Christmas single at least. I think it's safe to say that U2 is very conservative with the quantity of material they release, and the next album will be no exception.

According to my source, the albums may or not be released at the same time if they decide to go that direction. In other words there may be one large 18+ song album or two albums totally separated. Or one album of 11 songs and the rest b-sides to each 11 songs. Its seems as we all know that the songs have taken a life of their own and they are trying to fit them in a theme based album. He believes they had enough songs for an album but two songs they originally had on their list "didn't fit the rest of the album(s). Much like how "Mercy" didn't fit HTDAAB. - credible source in the music biz

God,I certainly hope they don't release an album of "B-sides" that accompanies 11 album songs...I can see the discussions on Interference already...."some of the b-sides are better than what's on the album" an album of 16 -18 songs would be fantastic.

I guess where McGuinne$$ is involved one album of 11 songs + one album of 11 songs & B-sides would generate more money...but sadly the greater public (not the die-hard U2 fans) which buy the 11 song album minus the B-sides might not get to hear some great tunes...and that's a shame.

I hope this source isn't bogus. If it's true I would hope for a double album because they haven't done that yet. If the material really is that good it is one of the best albums in history and they could rely on a double album worth of material for 6 years.

Double albums are only a problem if the material is not good enough.

Pardon me for asking, but what is your "source"?

^ Yes, if you think like that, you will be disappointed.

Don't you know that we become what we think?

It's bad to have negative thoughts all the time, that's why I chose to stay positive and take whatever is coming my way. I'm so much looking forward to this new album. I know I will just be happy when it's arrived, without over-analyzing it.

Feb will be the REAL Christmas, at least for me.

^ Yes, if you think like that, you will be disappointed.

Don't you know that we become what we think?

It's bad to have negative thoughts all the time, that's why I chose to stay positive and take whatever is coming my way. I'm so much looking forward to this new album. I know I will just be happy when it's arrived, without over-analyzing it.

Feb will be the REAL Christmas, at least for me.

With everyone shouting "double album" and "18 songs!" people will be disappointed when an 11-song album comes out with remixes and live tracks as b-sides to singles. :shrug: I won't be disappointed either way. I like U2 alright, but not as much as I used to, so 11 songs or 18 songs, it makes no difference. If it's only 11 songs, I can spend the 30 minutes I'd be listening to the other 7 songs by listening to newly discovered music. :shrug:

"there are no b-sideas anymore"-Bono

I don't think the possibilty of B sides is real...the songs will rather be files under work in progress fro subsequent albums.

I think its a double album, two credible albums in thier own right, or one world class 11 or 12 song album and time will tell what happens with the rest.

remember U2 have got to save some songs for their "Beatles Anthology" in the future.:sexywink:

I'm not a big fan of the B-sides idea and honestly don't see it happening, at least not in form of two albums being released at the same time. I'd say either a "proper" double album or only one album. I'll be fine with both options. I won't be disappointed if it isn't a double album, because so far it's all based on speculation and we have no confirmation whatsoever, so everything is still possible.

Since there is arguably no such thing as traditional singles being released in physical format anymore (the HMV in my hometown has the tiniest shelf rack to store them) I don't really see the B-side as being a realistic thing anymore. I'd much rather see additional tracks on a bonus disc, double album or later-release rather than have them wasted away on CD singles that hardly anyone will buy.

I don't really see the B-side as being a realistic thing anymore.
you beat me to it

I don't get why people here claim McGuinness only has dollar signs in his eyes, but they still reckon U2 will conform to music industry standards which have been out of date for years

He also said that the album, no matter how they release it, will dominate 2009 in the music charts. He said many of his fellow music industry colleagues are calling it "a greatest hits album of songs we haven't heard yet." Each song is a winner of Song of the Year award in the Grammy's according to them. A wave of rock & roll hits much like the Beatles and Elvis had in the 50's and 60's.

As long as your source's source is not Daniel Lanois, this is very exciting news.

(Nothing against Danny, I'd just like some validation from someone other than him).

b-sides?
do people still buy singles?

B-sides have basically turned into "Bonus Tracks" to bait people to download extra songs instead of just the single.

I call it the "gum and candy songs". Y'know, just like those instances when you're waiting at checkout staring at that Reese's PB cup treat in that deliciously orange wrapper and bargain with yourself to try to rationalize why you can indulge yourself with that wonderful treat now so long as you forgo the chips with your sandwich for lunch later

Mmmmmmmmm...Peeeeeanut Buuuutterrrrr!!!!!! :drool:

He also said that the album, no matter how they release it, will dominate 2009 in the music charts. He said many of his fellow music industry colleagues are calling it "a greatest hits album of songs we haven't heard yet." Each song is a winner of Song of the Year award in the Grammy's according to them. A wave of rock & roll hits much like the Beatles and Elvis had in the 50's and 60's.

This is the funniest thing I've read all day. Thankyou.

One of my favorite things about U2 is collecting their singles. I'd be pretty disappointed if they stopped releasing them. But I can't imagine record companies make any money off of CD singles any more, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are no more.

I was surprised HTDAAB had so many single releases, by then the single was already dead plus U2 were embracing Itunes so much with that album and The Complete U2.

One of my favorite things about U2 is collecting their singles. I'd be pretty disappointed if they stopped releasing them. But I can't imagine record companies make any money off of CD singles any more, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are no more.

I was surprised HTDAAB had so many single releases, by then the single was already dead plus U2 were embracing Itunes so much with that album and The Complete U2.

Quite possibly the best collection of singles I have is the one from Achtung Baby where if you lined up all of the single covers it comes to together to form a picture of a trabant. I miss the creativity of those days. Its like they don't even try with album or single covers anymore. Of course it is due impart to the whole itunes craze. I hope the next cover is more artistic and not just some picture of the band. I think by now we all know who comprises the rock band "U2".

ps333

I remember that. The Achtung Days were great. In any new news I hear from my source I'll get it to you all. I think we are in for a great 2009!

God,I certainly hope they don't release an album of "B-sides" that accompanies 11 album songs...I can see the discussions on Interference already...."some of the b-sides are better than what's on the album" an album of 16 -18 songs would be fantastic.

I guess where McGuinne$$ is involved one album of 11 songs + one album of 11 songs & B-sides would generate more money...but sadly the greater public (not the die-hard U2 fans) which buy the 11 song album minus the B-sides might not get to hear some great tunes...and that's a shame.

Well, in this day and age, getting a bonus disc of songs that may include some that are "better" (read: greater subjective preference) is not much of a problem. Just load up all the songs on iTunes and move/delete as you wish to create your own personal new U2 album.

Now, I realize that this approach is problematic for many (including me), but surely getting the bonus songs would be a good thing. I think if the songs are truly finished, it doesn't make sense for U2 to hold them to be mixed/matched on future albums. This way you get U2's artistic statement in album form, AND you get all the songs. And you don't run into the potential problems of releasing a really long album or double album that doesn't flow/hold together just right.

Just an fyi. He's been credible most of the time but the info he's getting is from his sources at universal. U2 change their mind on a daily basis so what you hear today may change by the end of december. But this is for sure: There are many songs. They are going to be songs that will change the way we view rock and roll. The idea is to get them all out one way or another.:hyper:

Out of curiosity, has your source heard the songs, or has he just spoken to people who have? If he has...maybe you could get a couple meaty song descriptions?

Back
Top Bottom