Jimmy Iovine says album needed 2 more songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am i the only one thats dissapointed by Iovines appraisal of the album, citing it as merely "really good"? I would have expected more enthusiasm than that:sad:
Jus think folks, had they stuck to the original deadline....we would all probably have the new album in our posession by now:doh:

well, to me it makes more sense to say an album that needs more work is 'really good' instead of calling it brilliant or whatever
if the album already was brilliant it wouldn't need more work, it would be finished

but it's all semantics

Am i the only one thats dissapointed by Iovines appraisal of the album, citing it as merely "really good"? "great record"

I met with the guys in U2, and they say to me, 'You know what? This album needs two more songs, and it will be exactly what we have in mind.' I go there and I listen, and I agreed with them. It's a great record, but it deserves the time. Labels need to work with artists to help them achieve their best work, not to jam records out that are half-baked or three-quarters baked.

Of course, we don't know the date of this info. It could have been very recently (I would think it doesn't take U2 3 months to add 2 songs to a record).

There were pictures of Jimmy Iovine with Bono and Edge back in August when they were on vacation in France (Bono always takes August off to be with the family)....so that is when he heard the album and they decided to postpone the release.

The fact that an article from a music publication like Billboard comes out yesterday does not mean the information is recent...in fact it's usually months old

It fits perfectly with The Edges comment a few weeks (months?) back that they need to glue the thing together to make a coherent album. They didn't just need 2 more songs, but 2 very specific songs.

And perhaps, while hunting for those, they got new ideas, etc.

Exactly the key word is SPECIFIC.......there were enough songs lying around that U2 could have added to the album(they have all the Rubin tracks,remember?) but they wanted two more tracks that would FIT in with the album and make it a cohesive collection of songs.

Well, I think the term GREAT is a very very positive way to describe an album.

If he said: I was blown away by it, like dozens of other people have before, there would be the question again why they wouldn't release it now.

I also think it might have been in summer when they played him the album, so I guess it's fairly save to say they have found the two missing tracks by now.

Edge just looked underneath his bed and there they were. :D

No, the way I read it, this is the explanation for why it is delayed, not an extra delay. It fits perfectly with The Edges comment a few weeks (months?) back that they need to glue the thing together to make a coherent album. They didn't just need 2 more songs, but 2 very specific songs.

And perhaps, while hunting for those, they got new ideas, etc.

I agree with this 100 percent. They obviously had enough songs, but they needed the right songs. This is good because they're going after a real album, not just a collection of songs.

Ummm, where are indications that this has happened? In fact, it seems they "used" all the beach clips, at least three of them.

We have "Get on your boots", which is beach clip no. 3, we have "Breathe", which is beach clip no. 2 and can be heard in the latest u2.com clip, we have beach clip no. 4 which could be called "Only love" and was played in a previous u2.com clip, and we POSSIBLY have beach clip no. 1, becauses some people suggested, based on Edge's latest comments, that this might be the Fez-influenced first track, the one Edge referred to as "Unknown Caller".

So I think there is STRONG influence that the beach clips will indeed result in songs on the finalized album.

And I also don't think people should get wound up about Iovine's comments, because he is clearly referring to the state of the album some weeks or even months ago. Are people still hoping we will hear new U2 in 2008? I think it's time to realize that early 2009 will be the time for the new album release. No need to rant about the delay, it's a fact right now.

And I would take the Wall Street article with a grain of salt, it's mere speculation and a lot of interpretation, obviously based on J. Iovine's comments. In fact, it's the first time someone mentioned a "creative limbo". All the other comments have strongly suggested that creativity is great and the album is amazing.

Pure speculation, like half these threads, complete speculation, :hmm: We won't know for sure until we can listen to the Album for real :wink:

I like Iovine. He's a great CEO and I feel very positive things for his future when I looked at his stars.

Maybe you should just trust what he said and stop missinterpreting what he says. I remember some of you doing the same thing when JayZ heard it and never gave any comment on it.

well, to me it makes more sense to say an album that needs more work is 'really good' instead of calling it brilliant or whatever
if the album already was brilliant it wouldn't need more work, it would be finished

but it's all semantics

semantics indeed.

Had he of said it was "really swell" then we'd be in trouble. :wink:

Hey, he's a record exec...he shouldn't be looked at for music critiques. What the hell does he know about MAKING the music? Now if you want to get advice about how to make money SELLING the music then I'd give him a call.

He probably said the same thing about (FILL IN THE ARTIST'S NAME) last album.

semantics indeed.

Hey, he's a record exec...he shouldn't be looked at for music critiques. What the hell does he know about MAKING the music? Now if you want to get advice about how to make money SELLING the music then I'd give him a call.

Right on with the last part. The last person's words anyone should be trying to see through are the record exec's. Think about it.

semantics indeed.

Did we really expect anything constructive from a record exec? He can't say it sucks now can he?

"Oh I was listening to the new U2 album, awful stuff, comes out February"

Him saying the record is great is like all the adverts on TV calling every album a masterpiece

I think the idea that they need two new songs that fit with the rest of the album sounds very realistic.

It's similar to what Edge said in Q about finding a way to make the album a coherent whole rather than a collection songs.

It's a bit like with AB, if you listen to the rest of the demos, they are really different from the released AB. The released AB was a selection of songs from the sessions that shared a certain mood. Songs like Take Today and Salome are amazing, but the album as a whole would have suffered if instead of ending with Acrobat and Love is blindness, it had ended with Salome and Take Today!

So what they have done is probably kept writing to add the two remaining songs that fit.

I think this bodes well for the album

Santiago

He can't win, with you guys.

He says it's astounding, amazing, innovatively scrumptious, and you diss him for over-hyping it.

He says it's great, and you diss him for under-hyping it.

I think the idea that they need two new songs that fit with the rest of the album sounds very realistic.

It's similar to what Edge said in Q about finding a way to make the album a coherent whole rather than a collection songs.

I think this bodes well for the album

Santiago

this is the exact reason why i'm glad they decided to delay the album. maybe the band felt that they were releasing another HTDAAB, where there are great songs, but the album doesn't flow. so they decided to get it right this time.

this is the exact reason why i'm glad they decided to delay the album. maybe the band felt that they were releasing another HTDAAB, where there are great songs, but the album doesn't flow. so they decided to get it right this time.

I quite agree with you about the opinion about HTDAAB,many songs are great(EXCEPT Vertigo),but the album didn't give me passion after I heard it for the first time.ATYCLB was a amazing album,but the next one didn't reach this high altitude.

semantics indeed.

Are you serious??? You should do some research next time.

Jimmy Iovine was a music producer...he worked with Bruce Springsteen,Dire Sraits,Tom Petty and U2 among others.

U2's "Under A Blood Red Sky" and "Rattle & Hum" albums were produced by him and (even though I hate most rap music) he discovered Eminem,saw him when he was an unknown,asked for a demo tape and signed him......so you might want to rethink what you said...it seems he knows a little bit more than you think.

A friend of mine who works in L.A. at universal has told me that there is a possibility we will be getting 2 albums in one. Two songs needed to complete a possible 24 Track Double Disc. Reliable source. He said they reason they may be wanting to add two more songs is to give the album a more complete feel similar to Rattle & Hum. Rattle and Hum had a few songs added at the last minute as well.

A friend of mine who works in L.A. at universal has told me that there is a possibility we will be getting 2 albums in one. Two songs needed to complete a possible 24 Track Double Disc. Reliable source. He said they reason they may be wanting to add two more songs is to give the album a more complete feel similar to Rattle & Hum. Rattle and Hum had a few songs added at the last minute as well.

oh wow. has your source been correct in the past?

Interesting. You could then go back to Edge saying two halves of the album.

I really think by Christmas we will know a whole lot more. U2 will most certainly take a break for Christmas, so if they really want an early 09 release, it has to be completed by then.

I really think by Christmas we will know a whole lot more. U2 will most certainly take a break for Christmas, so if they really want an early 09 release, it has to be completed by then.

It will be completed by then...while Iovine may have made those comments a few days ago,he met with U2 back in August when they were vactioning in France....Lanois has already said he mixed half of the album in New York about a month ago and he is currently in London to finish mixing the other half,U2 will probably have the album ready to be mastered at the end of the month...so you figure that's most of December...album will be done before the holiday break.

Hmm, could they really be planning this?

From whom did this friend hear this rumor? It just doesn't seem to fit, unless they are intentionally trying to make it a surprise--or aren't sure what to do.

I think it would make a lot more sense (assuming it's 2 distinct albums in one and not a 24-track single flowing beast) to release the 2nd album at some point during the tour--maybe a year later. I'd rather savor one album at a time and enjoy the anticipation all over again (while still listening to new stuff!) rather than getting it all at once.

Are you serious??? You should do some research next time.

Jimmy Iovine was a music producer...he worked with Bruce Springsteen,Dire Sraits,Tom Petty and U2 among others.

Yeah, I'll back you on this. For what it's worth, Iovine is considered to have golden ears. They've been getting his input for over twenty years.

Isn't there a scene in the "Outside It's America" docu with Bono and Edge playing a song for Iovine?

Yeah and I think Iovine was somehow connected with the production/performance of SYCMIOYO, although I can't remember the details of this...anyone know what I'm talking about?

...and Lanois saying he's mixing "half of the album" - that is a lot of talk about halves for a single album.

Also remember U2.com a while ago, Off the record column:

In my previous OTR column from early October, I mentioned in passing a rumor we'd heard about U2 working on a double album, and suggested it may explain the Daniel Lanois comment about mixing "half the U2 record." I was lazy in my word choice. The rumor we heard wasn't of a double album, it was that U2 would be releasing two albums. I apologize for not being more clear.

Furthering that idea, we recently heard a new rumor with more details on what may be to come: One album will be the traditional CD release, while a second album will be released only online (i.e., via iTunes and other stores). I have no idea if it's true or not, but it does fit in fairly nicely with what Paul McGuinness said earlier this year about the new album release: "We will obviously work with whatever technology is available to make the release of the new record as interesting as possible."

:hmm: Rattle and Hum-ish "musical journey" done right...

Back
Top Bottom