Jay-Z's heard it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazza

War Child
from u2exit .com

JAY-Z received a special treat from his pal BONO when he visited Ireland last month (Jun08) - the rocker gave the rap superstar a special preview of U2’s new album.

The 99 Problems hitmaker played a gig in Dublin at the end of June, and he took some time out of his busy schedule to pay a visit to Bono, who is currently working on the band’s forthcoming LP.

And Jay-Z was flattered when the singer decided to bounce ideas off him.

He says, “I heard about four tracks. And the thing about Bono is, he’s in the studio like a kid, excited and singing the lyrics back, asking what I think. That’s passion, only passion. Trust me. He doesn’t have to do it.

“Music is a challenge. Music’s like, ‘What have you done for me lately?’ Don’t matter if you make seven, eight great albums. U2 are arguably one of the greatest bands ever. (But) if their next album is not great, people are going to say they’re finished! U2!”

-ContactMusic

from u2exit .com

U2 ... is not great, people are going to say they’re finished! U2!”

-ContactMusic

oh no, jay-z says the new album sucks and they are finished. everyone temper your expectations. :wink:

seriously though, he offers no opinion of anything he heard.

Yeah, I am really surprised that he didn't give any opinion...pretty weird.

Jay Z is one of the few remaining great rappers out there. Have you listened to American Gangster?

i too am rooting for stadiums.

when is the new giants stadium going to be ready?? I dont think next year right?

If Jay Z would be crazy about a new U2 album I think I'd slightly start to worry. :uhoh:

OK, I don't like his music. :reject:

Jay-Z and Kanye West are both huge rock fans. Jay-Z is on the board at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and West sampled like a billion classic acts on his last album (Steely Dan, Can, Kratwerk, etc.)...their music goes beyond the usual hip-hop both lyrically and musically and if you were to go onto ComcastOnDemand's rap video section (I forget what it's called), both of those artists are listed under Rock.

Jay Z is one of the few remaining great rappers out there. Have you listened to American Gangster?

I was so depressed reading the above posters slagging him that I didn't have the energy to respond.

Nice to see someone giving props though. I've only been listening to him for like 1-2 years but I think he's one of the most gifted rappers ever. His wordplay never ceases to impress me. Man has got SKILLS.

(But) if their next album is not great, people are going to say they’re finished! U2!”

I read this as a hypothetical statement, so I don't think it's any reflection of the quality of the new album....

i too am rooting for stadiums.

when is the new giants stadium going to be ready?? I dont think next year right?

2638444963_6b804a79fa.jpg

scheduled for completion in 2010.

assuming they do stadiums, perhaps u2 will do the new yankee stadium or citi field instead... they both open next year :hmm:

from u2exit .com
He says, “I heard about four tracks. And the thing about Bono is, he’s in the studio like a kid, excited and singing the lyrics back, asking what I think. That’s passion, only passion. Trust me. He doesn’t have to do it.

“Music is a challenge. Music’s like, ‘What have you done for me lately?’ Don’t matter if you make seven, eight great albums. U2 are arguably one of the greatest bands ever. (But) if their next album is not great, people are going to say they’re finished! U2!”
-ContactMusic

I think Jay-Z is simply saying U2 is passionate and working hard even when they don't have to be.

I think Jay-Z is simply saying U2 is passionate and working hard even when they don't have to be.

I think Jay-Z was saying that there is alot of pressure for band such as U2 to put out great albums since they are known for putting up great albums and that the next album has to be great because it would look like they are finished. IE if a mediocre band puts out a mediocre album then its not a big deal but when one of the best bands in the world put out a mediocre album it is talked about alot more and people will comments a lot (much like some people here on interference) on how U2 is finished. I don't think he is hinting in anyway that this album is crap or bad in anyway.

u2 has already put out "two mediocre" albums!
but are they finished??? NO ! they still sell records no matter how simple, ordinary or forgettable thier album is (thanks to JT/AB). they still cash in, which keeps them going. the day when they dont make any $$ from their albums is the day u2 will stop (or finished) hello hello

ps Jay-z did not seem impressed from what i can tell.

u2 has already put out "two mediocre" albums!
but are they finished??? NO ! they still sell records no matter how simple, ordinary or forgettable thier album is (thanks to JT/AB). they still cash in, which keeps them going. the day when they dont make any $$ from their albums is the day u2 will stop (or finished) hello hello

ps Jay-z did not seem impressed from what i can tell.

Why are you here?

ps It seems more likely to me that Jay-Z was worried about making any revealing comment on the newest music from the biggest band in the world.

Back
Top Bottom