It's ridiculous how in the dark U2 keeps its fans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoocoustic

War Child
These days, visit most band's websites and they at least occasionally put some comments about what they're working on, etc.

With U2 we get nothing. It's ridiculous. Four years between albums and the band says and does NOTHING to commuinicate with its fans as to how things are going. We only get info when something is released to the press.

U2 has been and always will be my favorite band - I love their music. But beyond that, I find it very frustrating and ridiculous that they do nothing to keep their fans informed. There is simply no excuse for this. At least one of the four could occasionally post or communicate something on u2.com. With the following U2 has, I don't think this is unreasonable.

I guess we just get to sit here and dissect beach clips, and every little quote from Eno and anyone else within a stone's throw of the band, until the time that an official announcement is made, which probably won't be until shortly before the album is released.

:rolleyes:

I always find this, "they owe me something" mentality really selfish. Are there bands that speak more during down times? Sure. But there are also a lot band a lot worse... there are a lot of bands that you wouldn't even know they are working on projects until they are released.

You know they are working right now, be happy with that...

Since when did it become somehow required for artists to keep their fans informed of their work. Do you insist that your favorite author keep you informed of his progress on his next novel? There is something to be said for having a little mystery in the world. In these days of almost instant communication people form opinions about music they haven't even heard yet based just on what's being said about it. I am actually glad that they are not talking about it. I look forward to hearing the music without my opinions being colored by snippets of info leaked by the band. I actually like that Bono talks in meaningless cliche's because I'd rather be surprised than get dribs and drabs. I think it's actually detrimental when little pieces of music leak because people get all bent out of shape over them then when the actual album comes out if it doesn't meet whatever expectations they put on it based on the leaks then they end up ranting about that. Maybe most bands these days give all kinds of info but this is a relatively new trend. Used to be you found out about your favorite group's new album when it showed up in the store. Try a little patience and enjoy the mystery instead of getting all worked up over U2 not telling you everything.

Dana

So those U2.com interviews from Morocco mean nothing? Or Bono's little hand-held debut of Waves of Sorrow?

Jeez, could you be any more spoiled?

lazarus said:
So those U2.com interviews from Morocco mean nothing? Or Bono's little hand-held debut of Waves of Sorrow?

Exactly, and Dana is right on as well...

The less you know about the upcoming album the more intrigued you will be, and the more enjoyable the album will be to listen to...why would you want to spoil that excitement of a new album? U2 doesn't keep fans in the dark, merely do their best to surprise the fans, as Bono has said clearly in numerous interviews. And yes, because of such a large fanbase and the internet, this is even more difficult to do! This is largely the reason behind many of Bono's vague insinuations.

Basically, the less you know the better. :wink: You're just frustrated you have to wait haha :D

lazarus said:

Exactly. Give U2.com some credit for the Morocco stuff. At least we know what was happening there instead of speculating about what they were doing in Fez, etc. And the Waves of Sorrow video was great too.

The less you know the more you believe (in them).

I don't care if they give us updates or not, I will still make my own judgement on the album. Considering the warm reception to their soundbytes and their output of the last 6-7 years, I'm not surprised at the lack of news though.

I actually agree a little with zoocoustic.

They dont owe use nothing, but it would be fun for the band and fans if they did something like a webcast thing once in a while. The wave of sorrow thing was great ofcourse. :drool:

They always embrace new technology, but with the internet they are a little behind sometimes if you compare it to some bands.

Its more a wish than a demand. But it would fit u2 to do more with the internet. A personal message or video would be great once in a while.

I agree that the less you now the more of a mystery the album is, but check out radiohead.com/deadairspace. The mystery was still intact to me when they released in rainbows.

sjakie said:
They always embrace new technology, but with the internet they are a little behind sometimes if you compare it to some bands.

I agree with this. U2 are not even close to being one of the best bands for communicating with their fans - in fact, I'd say they're relatively poor. But the original post seems to me to really overlook some stuff too. U2 are by no means the best, but they also aren't the worst. I would have probably been a bit more harsh on them prior to this year.

rihannsu said:
Since when did it become somehow required for artists to keep their fans informed of their work. Do you insist that your favorite author keep you informed of his progress on his next novel? There is something to be said for having a little mystery in the world. In these days of almost instant communication people form opinions about music they haven't even heard yet based just on what's being said about it. I am actually glad that they are not talking about it. I look forward to hearing the music without my opinions being colored by snippets of info leaked by the band. I actually like that Bono talks in meaningless cliche's because I'd rather be surprised than get dribs and drabs. I think it's actually detrimental when little pieces of music leak because people get all bent out of shape over them then when the actual album comes out if it doesn't meet whatever expectations they put on it based on the leaks then they end up ranting about that. Maybe most bands these days give all kinds of info but this is a relatively new trend. Used to be you found out about your favorite group's new album when it showed up in the store. Try a little patience and enjoy the mystery instead of getting all worked up over U2 not telling you everything.

Dana

Alas, I think you're right. You get all these expectations about something and then when you finally listen to it, its hard to actually take it all in.

I'm a big Rush fan and I think when their last album came out because I'd heard so much about it and some parts were leaked it didn't meet my expectations and I was disappointed in them. (The producer said it was going to be similair to an old album of their's from the 70's). But you know what? I decided to listen to it after 6 months of not hearing it at all, without any expectations and now I think its some of their best work ever.

It is nice to hear what is going on with U2, but its also hard for them, their producers, etc. to describe it with words. Frank Zappa said it best when he said "writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

the attitude should be to expect nothing right now from the band as far as communication, and when ANYTHING is said consider it a gift...

rushu2 said:

But you know what? I decided to listen to it after 6 months of not hearing it at all, without any expectations and now I think its some of their best work ever.

Interesting for a couple of reasons, one i had no idea Rush had put out an album since...i dunno...Moving Pictures? God im so out of the loop on that one.

Secondly and in context to u2 that makes total sense, for instance i pulled out u218 and listened to it the other day and listened to it all the way through. I have to admit i actually liked WITS and even Saints. Both songs i could have shit and flushed a year ago when i first heard them.

sjakie said:
I actually agree a little with zoocoustic.

I agree that the less you now the more of a mystery the album is, but check out radiohead.com/deadairspace. The mystery was still intact to me when they released in rainbows.

Keep in mind however, U2 are still under contract.
They still have to adhere to terms and conditions of said contract.
and none of us have any idea of what that may include.

With all the control they can demand & have, and as much as Bono would love it, they still don't have total control.
But it's coming. :wink:

Zoocoustic said:
These days, visit most band's websites and they at least occasionally put some comments about what they're working on, etc.

With U2 we get nothing. It's ridiculous. Four years between albums and the band says and does NOTHING to commuinicate with its fans as to how things are going. We only get info when something is released to the press.

U2 has been and always will be my favorite band - I love their music. But beyond that, I find it very frustrating and ridiculous that they do nothing to keep their fans informed. There is simply no excuse for this. At least one of the four could occasionally post or communicate something on u2.com. With the following U2 has, I don't think this is unreasonable.

I guess we just get to sit here and dissect beach clips, and every little quote from Eno and anyone else within a stone's throw of the band, until the time that an official announcement is made, which probably won't be until shortly before the album is released.

Man, you'd of hated the "olden days." When you found out about album's progress from Rolling Stone magazine (the one made of trees) Those in the "know" were reading copies of ICE magazine.

And you found out release dates from the dry-erase board behind the counter at your favorite local record shop.

Re: Re: It's ridiculous how in the dark U2 keeps its fans...

MrBrau1 said:
And you found out release dates from the dry-erase board behind the counter at your favorite local record shop.

Ha!

I remember my short stint at a mall record store after college. There was this one guy who would call, I swear, once a week and ask if we knew if Mariah Carey had a release coming up.

There was another guy who was similarly obsessed with Queen, although he'd come into the store and talk to me about Queen. I admired his passion for the band, but feared he didn't actually realize Freddie Mercury was dead.

And to the thread starter - yay, another Seattle-ite!

Re: Re: Re: It's ridiculous how in the dark U2 keeps its fans...

corianderstem said:

Ha!

I remember my short stint at a mall record store after college. There was this one guy who would call, I swear, once a week and ask if we knew if Mariah Carey had a release coming up.

There was another guy who was similarly obsessed with Queen, although he'd come into the store and talk to me about Queen. I admired his passion for the band, but feared he didn't actually realize Freddie Mercury was dead.

These kids today.

They can make a mix cd in 5 minutes.

I recall having to plan out each tune and do the time with paper and pencil. And listen to the tape as you made it.

Effort was required.

I found a pile of really old mix tapes in my closet a few months ago. Man, I used to love making those. I'd use the 120 minute tapes even though they were more apt to break, just because I could fit more stuff on them.

Re: Re: Re: It's ridiculous how in the dark U2 keeps its fans...

corianderstem said:

Ha!

I was a regular in a music store back in my highschool days, I would always ask if there were any new U2 or REM releases coming up, they would check the books and then tell me 'no'. Became pretty good friends with the owner. When Zooropa was released he actually let me view it and listen to it, but couldn't sell it to me till Tuesday(they had it shipped to them a few days early)...

:hmm: You know, the Internet's a great thing, but there's a whole generation now who, thanks to the 'Net, have absolutely no patience whatsoever and believe they're entitled to a constant flow of information.

Alas and alack - that ain't the way it rolls, kids. :no: And besides, as it's so wisely been pointed out already - not knowing everything.... is a gooood thing. :up: :)

I remember the "olden days". I'm probably older than the majority of you.

This is 2007. Times change. U2 has possibly the biggest following of any band on the planet. They do owe it to their fans (yes, you read that right) - especially when they take FOREVER between albums - to at least give us a periodic update. This takes what? 10 seconds to post in an online blog.

There is no excuse for how poorly this band lets its fan base know what is going on. Just read any of the ridiculous threads in this forum that dissect every time ANYONE mildly refers to the band doing anything, and you can see how desperate everyone is for information.

Go ahead and keep apologizing for them. I expect more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom