It's a grower!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure. I think this might be the first U2 album where I don't know what to make of it/where I'd rank it.

It's a mix of okay forced "radio tunes" (first four songs except great pop of California), potentially great U2 (Iris), guitars-heavy Volcano-Cedarwood stretch (Volcano current favourite with California and Iris) and the last three songs don't do much for me at all.

I cannot work out if you are serious or being ironic. Radio tunes? These songs are not radio tunes at all. Quite the opposite, actually. I am not surprised if these songs will not hit they radio for a long time. And if that is the case: Brilliant!

Now go listen to Sleep Like a Baby Tonight.

Enjoy ...

Those big choruses in EBW and Song for Someone ? The whoahoah vocals in Miracle ? The slick pop of California ? The smooth production ?

Yeah...radio airplay / trying too hard written all over it. Instead of genuinely trying a new sound, they opted for a slick, synth based pop sound bent on competing with the charts.

Those big choruses in EBW and Song for Someone ? The background whoahoah vocals in Miracle ? The slick pop of California ? The slick production ?

Yeah...radio airplay written trying too hard all over it. Instead of genuinely trying a new sound, they opted for a slick, synth based pop sound bent on competing with the charts.

What "new" sound could they try? they have pretty much covered all they have had to.

All I know is I've warmed to California and Iris and cooled to both Volcano and Song for Someone. The last 5 songs are fantastic and I don't foresee my opinion changing anytime soon. Every Breaking Wave is one I can take or leave. My mind hasn't changed much there. And The Miracle is one stomping opener!

So, none of the music reminds me of No Line except EBW, and only because it was played a few times live during the tour and was supposed to be on the album. Fact is, some songs have echoes of Zooropa, Achtung Baby and Original Soundtracks 1.

Those big choruses in EBW and Song for Someone ? The whoahoah vocals in Miracle ? The slick pop of California ? The smooth production ?

Yeah...radio airplay / trying too hard written all over it. Instead of genuinely trying a new sound, they opted for a slick, synth based pop sound bent on competing with the charts.

Are you serious? Big choruses, some whoahoah implies "radio tunes"? Should they abondon brilliant choruses like in EBW just to not be radio friendly? There are a lot going on in that song that is much more complex than a top ten song. To me this whole thing sounds like preparing for a tour - and an amazing one. This album sounds nothing like what's on the radio these days. At all! You cannot be serious. There are some sounds here that U2 never tried before and some sounds we never hear on radio these days.

Are you saying that U2's new album is a U2 rewrite? :heart:

I think the album's pretty good once you accept it on its own terms. That is, yes, it is blatantly a shameless pursuit of a hit song. This is actually the most front-loaded album of their entire career. The first 6 songs. If Miracle fails, that's ok we have EBW, if that fails, hey maybe California, if that fails we got Song for Someone, Iris, Volcano....you see the pattern. From Raised by Wolves on there seems to be a different album taking place, one that feels more like the concept they talked this up to be, although I don't see how Sleep Like A Baby (although my favorite here) fits into the story of U2 as young lads. And ironically, the final song The Troubles sounds more like an actual hit than half of that first side, but i'm sure they see it as one of the "experimental" tracks.

Anyone who doesn't think U2 are desperately trying for a hit single hasn't been listening to the radio for 5 years. They have never gone so full throttle towards mainstream radio in their entire career.

Thing is, though, I kinda like that they're actually being shameless about it! I'd rather have a glossy pop song than a neutered rock song any day, which is why The Miracle, with its self-indulgent buzzkill of a chorus, has become my least fave and something like Iris, has slowly won me over with it's ecstasy-fueled dance floor vibe. I don't think they can make good rock singles anymore. If I could tell them anything, it would be to stick with songs like Sleep Like A Baby and The Troubles. Slower, sexier, more melancholy stuff. That's where I think their strengths lie now. It's why MOS was the best song on NLOTH.

Not sure. I think this might be the first U2 album where I don't know what to make of it/where I'd rank it.

It's a mix of okay forced "radio tunes" (first four songs except great pop of California), potentially great U2 (Iris), guitars-heavy Volcano-Cedarwood stretch (Volcano current favourite with California and Iris) and the last three songs don't do much for me at all.

The last 3 songs so nothing for you? WTF? The Troubles is an instant classing and their best closer. I guess you're just a slow learner...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think the album's pretty good once you accept it on its own terms. That is, yes, it is blatantly a shameless pursuit of a hit song. This is actually the most front-loaded album of their entire career. The first 6 songs. If Miracle fails, that's ok we have EBW, if that fails, hey maybe California, if that fails we got Song for Someone, Iris, Volcano....you see the pattern. From Raised by Wolves on there seems to be a different album taking place, one that feels more like the concept they talked this up to be, although I don't see how Sleep Like A Baby (although my favorite here) fits into the story of U2 as young lads. And ironically, the final song The Troubles sounds more like an actual hit than half of that first side, but i'm sure they see it as one of the "experimental" tracks.

Anyone who doesn't think U2 are desperately trying for a hit single hasn't been listening to the radio for 5 years. They have never gone so full throttle towards mainstream radio in their entire career.

Thing is, though, I kinda like that they're actually being shameless about it! I'd rather have a glossy pop song than a neutered rock song any day, which is why The Miracle, with its self-indulgent buzzkill of a chorus, has become my least fave and something like Iris, has slowly won me over with it's ecstasy-fueled dance floor vibe. I don't think they can make good rock singles anymore. If I could tell them anything, it would be to stick with songs like Sleep Like A Baby and The Troubles. Slower, sexier, more melancholy stuff. That's where I think their strengths lie now. It's why MOS was the best song on NLOTH.

I pretty much agree with this. I'd only say that I'm not a fan of the new album. And it's not because it's "pop" or because it has hits, because there's nothing wrong with it at all. Also not because it's hit-oriented. There are a lot of massive hits out there that are great pop/rock songs. In my opinion is the "trying too hard" in some songs. But most of all the production in some tracks, the influences in others, the vibe (or lack of it) in others.

I also agree with you in the description of some tracks. For instance, the reason I liked "Iris". "Iris" takes me a lot to some recent dancey-pop-rock tracks (some made by pop acts, others by more alternative acts that "just happened" to have a hit single) that are hits in some european markets, specially in France/Belgium. "Iris" reminded me for instance of a couple of tracks of french artist Julian Doré.
The same applies to "The Troubles". This song is not in my Top 3 (it lacks a something extra - something's missing there, the fade out is terrible, etc) but, again, it could also be a hit in some european markets, because this song-format sometimes happens to be popular here.
You mentioned the "Moment Of Surrender" feel of "The Troubles". It's easy to see the similarities. And I like "Moment Of Surrender". But in my vision, I wished they had explored more in the "White As Snow" vein - not necessarily 11 slow paced, acoustic, mediative, folkey tracks, but I mean, that kind of technique and landscapes.

But in my vision, I wished they had explored more in the "White As Snow" vein - not necessarily 11 slow paced, acoustic, mediative, folkey tracks, but I mean, that kind of technique and landscapes.

White as snow is a nice song but for many people it's a snooze. U2 is an old band and haven't done a record since early 2009. They need a shot of adrenaline in the arm. U2 has a huge back catalog so I think we can do with an album that has less of them. Songs of experience might have more of what you're looking for. Cedarwood road has plenty of introspection and landscapes that evokes a location really well.

White as snow is a nice song but for many people it's a snooze. U2 is an old band and haven't done a record since early 2009. They need a shot of adrenaline in the arm. U2 has a huge back catalog so I think we can do with an album that has less of them. Songs of experience might have more of what you're looking for. Cedarwood road has plenty of introspection and landscapes that evokes a location really well.

Not at all. Although I'm not becoming a fan of Songs Of Innocence's soundscapes, despite liking the theme's cohesion (and an upgrade in Bono's lyrical quality) I can't find any relationship between what I described about "White As Snow" and Songs Of Experience.
"Cedarwood Road" remind me too much of a perfect fusion between "Stand Up Comedy" and "Crumbs From Your Table" (songs which I'm also not a fan of).

I pretty much agree with this. I'd only say that I'm not a fan of the new album. And it's not because it's "pop" or because it has hits, because there's nothing wrong with it at all. Also not because it's hit-oriented. There are a lot of massive hits out there that are great pop/rock songs. In my opinion is the "trying too hard" in some songs. But most of all the production in some tracks, the influences in others, the vibe (or lack of it) in others.

I also agree with you in the description of some tracks. For instance, the reason I liked "Iris". "Iris" takes me a lot to some recent dancey-pop-rock tracks (some made by pop acts, others by more alternative acts that "just happened" to have a hit single) that are hits in some european markets, specially in France/Belgium. "Iris" reminded me for instance of a couple of tracks of french artist Julian Doré.
The same applies to "The Troubles". This song is not in my Top 3 (it lacks a something extra - something's missing there, the fade out is terrible, etc) but, again, it could also be a hit in some european markets, because this song-format sometimes happens to be popular here.
You mentioned the "Moment Of Surrender" feel of "The Troubles". It's easy to see the similarities. And I like "Moment Of Surrender". But in my vision, I wished they had explored more in the "White As Snow" vein - not necessarily 11 slow paced, acoustic, mediative, folkey tracks, but I mean, that kind of technique and landscapes.

I also dig White As Snow. That was my 3rd fave after FBB and MOS. Of course I'd rather they explore their quieter, more haunting side, but I'm just taking SOI for what it is. While songs like California and Iris are not two songs I see myself reaching for too much in the future, I at least like that they achieve a cohesive sound. I didn't think much of them in the beginning, but I've been won over by their charm and energy and soothing synth tones (the ghostly background of Isis is really something else). On the other side of that token, The Miracle is a missed opportunity because it squanders it's fun poppy side with a self-conscious need to "rock" and to preach something to the world, like past offenders SUC, IGCIIDGCT, Breathe, and pretty much all of BOMB (and I just can't take the word pilgrim).

I really like the way SOI sounds though. It's very light on it's feet, which is something new after the bloated prior 2 albums.

Back
Top Bottom